Author Topic: Area between Furrow St. and Bella Vista in OH  (Read 4475 times)

Offline bones

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 193
  • -Received: 1075
Re: Area between Furrow St. and Bella Vista in OH
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 07:44:14 AM »
Why wished for TUSD? Not a fan of IUSD?

I started putting my stories in TI last week. Main issue is narrowing down the area of house I am buying and it comes with kids issue, school issue. And school issue is normally related to school itself, but in Irvine, you know, the demographic issue. Very sensitive issue for me to touch because my family is the part of it.

But, when I saw the class photo, I can tell clearly, I did not appreciate it. This is not real US. It is just an international school located in very good US soil.

If I can guarantee to my kids that  we all keep ourselves in Irvine for the rest of our lives, maybe we can just stay in this way. But it is not gonna happen. I wish and my kids will 'spread their wings and fly away' after high school or even earlier. Then, they will experience whole new 'welcome to america' and it will be too late for them to have another transition time..

So, I am planning to expose my family to non-Irvine environment step by step, and this is the reason that I am thinking TUSD..

Would a white person see a class picture full of white kids say "we must go to a school that's more diversified? 

Yes white people currently with kids in “new” Irvine.

Offline joke4real

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1
  • -Received: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 08:42:13 AM »

I started putting my stories in TI last week. Main issue is narrowing down the area of house I am buying and it comes with kids issue, school issue. And school issue is normally related to school itself, but in Irvine, you know, the demographic issue. Very sensitive issue for me to touch because my family is the part of it.

But, when I saw the class photo, I can tell clearly, I did not appreciate it. This is not real US. It is just an international school located in very good US soil.

If I can guarantee to my kids that  we all keep ourselves in Irvine for the rest of our lives, maybe we can just stay in this way. But it is not gonna happen. I wish and my kids will 'spread their wings and fly away' after high school or even earlier. Then, they will experience whole new 'welcome to america' and it will be too late for them to have another transition time..

So, I am planning to expose my family to non-Irvine environment step by step, and this is the reason that I am thinking TUSD..

Would a white person see a class picture full of white kids say "we must go to a school that's more diversified?

Well, I guess different feeling from different background.. I believe, your question and hypothesis is not that simple, equivalent to immigrant asian. Even among asians, there is big difference how to see the demographics, some people just feel secured and comfortable, some people like me start feeling somethings not right.. especially I've been doing international business about 10 years, dealing with all different countries and race. You move to somewhere and if you want a life with sense of reality, you need to get localized..

My point is, I am not trying to be a part of white people community or want to be white. Rather, I just want my family experience real american culture, manner, language, sports and etc... We just got here last year, so we still need a bit more time to fit in, but I want to explore outside of new Irvine.   

Offline UnderContract

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
Joke4real - have you considered Baker Ranch in Lake Forest?

Offline joke4real

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 09:05:32 AM »

Someone told me, but didn't have a close look at it, because so many areas to see..@_@ and now trying to narrow down..

Should I at least visit the Baker ranch, you think?

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 299
  • -Received: 559
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 09:23:23 AM »

Someone told me, but didn't have a close look at it, because so many areas to see..@_@ and now trying to narrow down..

Like right next to the jail?

Offline joke4real

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 09:24:04 AM »

Which "new" Irvine? New-new-real new like Great park? Or..Eastwood? Communities that I mainly mention is Cypress village and Stonegate.

Offline joke4real

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »

Like right next to the jail?

Aha..the jail...yes it is better to avoid it.

Offline ThirtySomethingWEquity

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »

Well, I guess different feeling from different background.. I believe, your question and hypothesis is not that simple, equivalent to immigrant asian. Even among asians, there is big difference how to see the demographics, some people just feel secured and comfortable, some people like me start feeling somethings not right.. especially I've been doing international business about 10 years, dealing with all different countries and race. You move to somewhere and if you want a life with sense of reality, you need to get localized..

My point is, I am not trying to be a part of white people community or want to be white. Rather, I just want my family experience real american culture, manner, language, sports and etc... We just got here last year, so we still need a bit more time to fit in, but I want to explore outside of new Irvine.

I feel the same way.  I'm white/latino and it's kinda weird to visit cities with an extremely large monoculture.  I don't mind visiting, but I definitely value some diversity of people in a neighborhood.  Some just for selfish reasons beccause I want a variety of good food :-D

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 10:13:11 AM »

I feel the same way.  I'm white/latino and it's kinda weird to visit cities with an extremely large monoculture.  I don't mind visiting, but I definitely value some diversity of people in a neighborhood.  Some just for selfish reasons beccause I want a variety of good food :-D

So what’s a good neighborhood to you? (give us an example)

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 63
  • -Received: 336
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 10:21:18 AM »
When someone from overseas comes to USA, they don't expect to see 50% asian faces in a classroom.  They expect to see 80% white kids.
So I can see why some people are surprised.

Offline Kenkoko

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 45
  • -Received: 70
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »

As a minority person, I always find it fascinating when I hear conversation about one place being great because it has the right % mix and another place isn't great because it does have the right %.

There seems to be a % threshold of minority that makes a person uncomfortable. What's that magic number for Irvine when nonwhite population reaches that percentage Irvine becomes no longer great? 30%? 50%? 75%?

Offline misme

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 17
  • -Received: 22
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 11:04:25 AM »

As a minority person, I always find it fascinating when I hear conversation about one place being great because it has the right % mix and another place isn't great because it does have the right %.

There seems to be a % threshold of minority that makes a person uncomfortable. What's that magic number for Irvine when nonwhite population reaches that percentage Irvine becomes no longer great? 30%? 50%? 75%?

I think the number depends on who you ask

Offline bones

• Thanks
  • -Given: 193
  • -Received: 1075
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »

Which "new" Irvine? New-new-real new like Great park? Or..Eastwood? Communities that I mainly mention is Cypress village and Stonegate.

Yea, probably all of those... along with Portola Springs. All these schools have >55% asians in the neighborhood elementary school.  I think Stonegate is the highest at 67% followed by Eastwood at 62%.  Stonegate has 7.1% with 2 or more races - I would imagine a lot of those are Asian + something else but just speculating.  Add in another 2% Filipino and you're looking at over 70% Asian. 

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »

So what’s a good neighborhood to you? (give us an example)

What’s a good example?
South Pasadena, West LA, La Canada (I’m throwing darts trying to get a response)

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 63
  • -Received: 336
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 11:15:50 AM »
For Harvard, it's 20% asian, so we can use that as the optimal asians in a classroom.
However, if you were going to use UCI as optimal, then it's like 50%?

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Report on housing by Steven Thomas by curious george
[Today at 02:38:22 PM]

Re: The Investigation by morekaos
[Today at 02:18:52 PM]

Re: The Investigation by Soylent Green Is People
[Today at 01:38:21 PM]