Ahh! Why do people back into parking spaces!

My_Alter_Ego

SUCH a pet peeve of mine...so annoying!  All you do is hold up traffic while you do your three point turn to get your car into a spot you could've easily pulled into front-first! 

Sorry...had to get it out of my system.  Carry On. 

Also a pet peeve of mine. Some schools don?t let you do it anymore in their lots.  The worst are the ones who take 2 or 3 tries to get it right.

daedalus said:
You're going to hold up traffic either when parking or leaving.  What's the diff?

Before daytime running lights, this had a higher possibility of accidents because cross traffic cars don't know a backed-in car is coming out of a stall with no brake or reverse lights.

Also, backing into a spot is usually slower than backing out of one.

Depends on the situation, sometimes its easier to back into a spot due to a bad angle and/or traffic.  My pet peeve are drivers that cut me off then drive slow, it's fine if you want to cut me off, but you better speed the f up if you do.

I back in a lot because I like to test my driving ability and assert dominance on Asian women drivers.

Actually it's mostly because I don't want to risk scratching up the bottom side of my bumper by pulling in forward most of the time.

Cares said:
I back in a lot because I like to test my driving ability and assert dominance on Asian women drivers.

Actually it's mostly because I don't want to risk scratching up the bottom side of my bumper by pulling in forward most of the time.

It?s easier getting out of the parking space backed in. People are not paying attention in the parking lot as they are on their phone (walking and driving) or simply looking to scam.

Come to think of it. I think walking across the parking lot is dangerous. I see a lot of people looking at their phones. Also, drivers speeding like they are a formula 1 racer. Lol

Why don't car dealers mount dash cams on new cars as a option for buyers?  They can run the wires so it looks clean and professional. 

A new revenue stream for dealers no?

I always try to back park whenever I get a good clearance with no one behind. But then when I'm about to park in, suddenly there is someone right behind and I get angry at him. I think at the same time, he's pissed 'coz he thought he was gettin' the same spot but feels like he just got robbed.

The benefit of back parking is you can get the heck out safe and fast. It is MAXROI in a way..

irvinehomeowner said:
So for those of you who prefer back-in parking... do you back-in park in your garage too? Why or why not?

Never into our garage because I don't like the idea of smoke emitting toward our home. It should go out. I also don't like the idea of turning on the engine while the garage door is closed. BUT I'm thinking of getting an electric car. Then I would back-in park.

Mety said:
I always try to back park whenever I get a good clearance with no one behind. But then when I'm about to park in, suddenly there is someone right behind and I get angry at him. I think at the same time, he's pissed 'coz he thought he was gettin' the same spot but feels like he just got robbed.

The benefit of back parking is you can get the heck out safe and fast. It is MAXROI in a way..

As you just mentioned if you get into an altercation or there is a situation that you don?t want to be around. (Gtfo) It?s easier to get out of dodge if you back your car in the space.

irvinehomeowner said:
Before daytime running lights, this had a higher possibility of accidents because cross traffic cars don't know a backed-in car is coming out of a stall with no brake or reverse lights.

Also, backing into a spot is usually slower than backing out of one.

I'm not sure how many times I've seen people back out of a parking space into another car.  I have never seen anyone pull forward out a parking space into another car.  I've been driving for over 30 years.

The 1 place I pull in forward is at Costco so I can access the trunk.  I always back out of the stall slower than when I back in, because I'm less sure of my surroundings.

Yes, I back into my garage.

i park 50 feet from anyone else in the lot so lazy people who leave their shopping carts all over the place don't get on my bad side

Irvinecommuter said:
It is safe though

You may pride yourself on your driving skills, but the truth is you may not be following every rule or best practice correctly. In particular, when it comes to parking, backing into a parking space is a best practice recommended by AAA, North America?s largest motoring and leisure travel organization.
https://www.carfax.com/blog/most-us-drivers-park-incorrectly

Yeah, back into a parking space is the way to go, all others are just park wrong.  :)

Back