Irvine Pacific Homes

ak

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there seems to be a huge desing flaw with both Maricopa and San Marino homes.  The windows are FLUSH with the wall.  This means you can not put wood blinds on the windows.  The only thing you can do is put up curtains or plantation box shutters.  Take a close look at the models.  I mentioned this apparent flaw to the sales team at both San Marino and Maricopa and they could not explain this issue.  Has anyone else notice this with with Irivne Pac Homes???

If it is...it is a horrible trend that will significantly increase the cost to the homowner as the only option would be to put in expensive plantation shutters on every window.  Also, this design looks horrible.  I don't know of any other homebuilder that is doing this except for Irvine Pacific.  Maybe it's just another way for Irv. Pac. to cut corners...

Actually... you can still put blinds on flush windows... they just won't look as good.

I looked at some of the pictures that ps9 posted prior to the models getting staged and it looks like the windows are only flush on the bedroom spaces... hard to tell though so I may be mistaken.

I wonder if this means the windows are sunken in from the outside, are the windows thicker or are the walls thinner?

Most likely the walls are thinner (another cost cutting measure I bet).  The bottom line is.. this "trend" looks horrible and it is expensive for the homeowner in the end to put in blinds.  I have never seen windows put in this way and again no other builder is doing this.  I hope Irvine Pacific corrects this problem ASAP.

it seems plantation shutters are the most popular choice of window covering.  personally i don't think it's a big deal.  while i do love the cased window look, it wouldnt stop my from buying.  $4-8K for window treatments is one thing, paying $200K more than you should for a house is a different story.

akim997 said:
$4-8K for window treatments is one thing, paying $200K more than you should for a house is a different story.
I think the point is if you're paying $200k more for the house, you shouldn't have to spend another $4-8k on window coverings.

I've gone back in time... I actually like light blocking curtains with light filtering inner panels... adds color and depth to a room.

akim997 said:
$4-8K for window treatments is one thing, paying $200K more than you should for a house is a different story.

Yeah, people who went and bought during the tax credit fiasco confused me. $8,000 credit to pay $200,000 more than a house is worth, that behavior is just destructive.

btw, did you pull out of your home purchase in NP Square?

IndieDev said:
Yeah, people who went and bought during the tax credit fiasco confused me. $8,000 credit to pay $200,000 more than a house is worth, that behavior is just destructive.

I dont think anyone would buy a ~$600K house for $8K of Govt cheese. But $8K will help a otherwise passive buyer to become active and motivated to buy, so that money flows into the economy.

TustinRanchResident said:
IndieDev said:

I dont think anyone would buy a ~$600K house for $8K of Govt cheese. But $8K will help a otherwise passive buyer to become active and motivated to buy, so that money flows into the economy.
Not quite true, I had one buyer who was freaking out that we couldn't find something ($600k-$700k) so he could get both the federal and state tax credits last year.  Fast forward to today, he is glad that he didn't settle to just buy anything and we are still looking as I speak.  Sometimes free (gov't) money can make people do strange things.

irvinehomeowner said:
Actually... you can still put blinds on flush windows... they just won't look as good.

I looked at some of the pictures that ps9 posted prior to the models getting staged and it looks like the windows are only flush on the bedroom spaces... hard to tell though so I may be mistaken.

I wonder if this means the windows are sunken in from the outside, are the windows thicker or are the walls thinner?

My Sonoma home has both types of windows, "flush" and "recessed" throughout the house.  The window covering company told me this when they came out to give me quote and I started wondering about why I had two different type of windows. 
Here's what I found out by careful observation.
The old "recessed" windows are flush on the outside and the "flush" windows are recessed on the outside.  In other words, it can be recessed only on one side and the other side will be flush.
I think the architect picked the flush windows to give more depth to the exterior of the house.  There seem to be more design detail on the exterior when "flush" window is used.  Where the architect did not care, the "old" recessed window is placed, but the outside is flush and does not look as good.
The "flush" window definitely does look better from outside especially with added exterior window sill and such.
So, it's not all bad.

I dont think anyone would buy a ~$600K house for $8K of Govt cheese.

You're right, why would anyone do something that stupid? That's like purchasing a home for $999,000 with a 1% teaser rate Option ARM, even though you only have a reported income of $75,000. No one would do anything that stupid. People make rational financial decisions all the time.

hahahahaha

USCTrojanCPA said:
Not quite true, I had one buyer who was freaking out that we couldn't find something ($600k-$700k) so he could get both the federal and state tax credits last year.  Fast forward to today, he is glad that he didn't settle to just buy anything and we are still looking as I speak.  Sometimes free (gov't) money can make people do strange things.

USC - Other than "Not quite true", everything else you posted supports my point.

Indie - As I said $8K will help a otherwise passive buyer to become active and motivated to buy. Of course, there are some people who are SO motivated (to get $8K) that they end up making irrational home-buying decisions, there by loosing hard earned money (atleast on the paper).

I don't think we're in disagreement then. The past 10 years has been a great example of mass "irrationality".

USCTrojanCPA said:

USC - Other than "Not quite true", everything else you posted supports my point.

Indie - As I said $8K will help a otherwise passive buyer to become active and motivated to buy. Of course, there are some people who are SO motivated (to get $8K) that they end up making irrational home-buying decisions, there by loosing hard earned money (atleast on the paper).
Problem is that you said "I don't think ANYONE would buy..."  You and I are smart enough not to buy with only a 1-3% incentive but there are many people out there who aren't and bought because they wanted their share of free gov't money. 

My correction - "I don't think ANYONE smart would buy..."

Its the percentages game, really. If higher % people make irrational home-buying-financial decisions, we will see dip/double-dip. Recall mid '00s for a second and you will see.

I am glad that we backed out of escrow in Dec 2006 on a property which losts its value by ~200K.

IndieDev said:
akim997 said:

yes i did...  in the end, it just didnt feel right...    left outs so i should be ok on the deposit, although apparently, i may end up in arbitration... oh well...   

im actually glad i did... prices have softened up a bit..    8 inglenook short sale sold at $758K (damn! i would have paid that!!!)

akim997 said:
IndieDev said:
akim997 said:

yes i did...  in the end, it just didnt feel right...    left outs so i should be ok on the deposit, although apparently, i may end up in arbitration... oh well...   

im actually glad i did... prices have softened up a bit..    8 inglenook short sale sold at $758K (damn! i would have paid that!!!)

Arbitration? Did you use the loan terms out? That seems like it should have been a hole in one way to get out.

Back