Kura

socal78

I'm going to Kura Revolving Sushi in Irvine next week for dinner. My friend picked the place. This will be a first for me. Any advice?

I seem to have developed a shellfish allergy within just the past year. So, idk if there will really be anything there that is safe to eat. How do you even know what's on the conveyer belt? It seems like it would be hard to tell one thing from another. This could be a game of Russian Roulette.  :)

SoCal said:
I'm going to Kura Revolving Sushi in Irvine next week for dinner. My friend picked the place. This will be a first for me. Any advice?

I seem to have developed a shellfish allergy within just the past year. So, idk if there will really be anything there that is safe to eat. How do you even know what's on the conveyer belt? It seems like it would be hard to tell one thing from another. This could be a game of Russian Roulette.  :)

Best advice is to avoid that place.  I am not sure why it is busy there but I can say that about many Irvine restaurants.

SoCal said:

You can order from the menu, but there are better Japanese places in South OC.

If you want to impress, Kitayama is pretty old school with Japanese garden, but pricey.

If you absolutely have to eat at a revolving sushi bar, try Kaisen in Costa Mesa.  Aim for seats closer to the chef.

+1 For Kaisen.
They have decent Uni for a great price. Also try their off menu items like Salmon Trio and Seared Fatty Tuna.

For sit down sushi dining, try Sushi Murasaki in Santa Ana (Fairview & MacArthur):
http://www.sushi-murasaki.com/

It's hidden in an office complex like center.

Yeah, I wouldn't go to Kura myself. It's for people who really don't know or don't care about the quality of the sushi/fish.

In Irvine, I've been to Jinbei in OH plaza, Kiyo in NP Plaza, and Oo Toro in Michaelson Dr. They were all pretty decent in terms of fish qualities.

I wouldn't suggest places like Kura, Niko Niko, Kabuki or any poke bowl places. Those are for collage students in my opinion. They felt so high end when I was in college though ;D .

I'm kinda curious O Fine Japanese Cuisine in QH plaza. Anyone been there?

So if you order something, they place it on the conveyor belt?... and anybody can just snatch your order before it gets to you?

Also, is it Kura or Kula? I see it spelled both ways. I want to make sure I can locate this place. It looks like both are in Google Maps.

SoCal said:
Momo, what is beef ojyu? Tried Googling... not much help.
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/kura-revolving-sushi-bar-houston-2?select=hTFlLrOluhX3N4azzmcvZg

o.jpg

We went to Halves on Tuesday night instead of Kura. My first time. I was a total stranger. They had to walk me through it, hehe, but it was good. The young guys that work there are really sweet and helpful. The young Filipino guy is super attentive, friendly, and made sure I was totally comfortable. Even though it was getting busier than I would have imagined for a weeknight, they treated my friend and I like we were the only people there. So A+ on service. It was kind of sad walking in there because I remember when it was Eleven46 & I used to go there all the time back then. That was a nice family that owned it. It's almost completely revamped now. It kind of seems smaller now but looks really nice. I might be brave enough to go on my own sometime.

Happy Valentine's Day, TI.

So did you have Shabu or KBBQ?

Been wanting to get over to Halves... just wish they had AYCE (all you can eat).

To answer your question about Kula vs Kura... this is what the Internet says:

The original Japanese name is Kura, but pronounced koo-lah... in Japanese, 'r's take on an 'l' sound. When they franchised to the US, they called it Kula so that it would be pronounced the same way. Eventually, they just changed it back to their original name, Kura, so as not to confuse people.

I like Kula, and I?m not ashamed to admit it.  It?s gimmicky but I have fun with my family every time we go there.  Every restaurant is worthy of a try.  Then you can decide if it?s for you or not.  We order from the screen.  Rarely take stuff off the belt. 

irvinehomeowner said:

Been wanting to get over to Halves... just wish they had AYCE (all you can eat).

Well, it's Japanese teppanyaki. They don't have kbbq. But I did halves since that's their shtick.

I think you would like it since you don't want to get overly stuffed during your IF window anyway. I would say it's the right amount of food. This friend took me to Gen recently. She scared me when she said you have to eat everything or they will charge you extra per plate. I hurt when I left and we still didn't finish everything. But they had mercy on us. I didn't think I would be able to drive home. I was that full. I would have rather just paid extra. I don't know what I was thinking but it was all new to me. It's nice to be able to eat someplace like Halves and not feel like a lead balloon when you leave, ya know?

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Well, it's Japanese teppanyaki. They don't have kbbq. But I did halves since that's their shtick.

I think you would like it since you don't want to get overly stuffed during your IF window anyway. I would say it's the right amount of food. This friend took me to Gen recently. She scared me when she said you have to eat everything or they will charge you extra per plate. I hurt when I left and we still didn't finish everything. But they had mercy on us. I didn't think I would be able to drive home. I was that full. I would have rather just paid extra. I don't know what I was thinking but it was all new to me. It's nice to be able to eat someplace like Halves and not feel like a lead balloon when you leave, ya know?

Ahh... I thought Halves was half shabu and half BBQ (I guess Japanese teppanyaki counts).

It's not quantity that I like with AYCE, it's variety. At KBBQs like Gen, I order half orders so I can try different things.

Yeah, bbq but unlike the Koreans, there is no marinated meat, no kimchi, no bibimbap and the veggies are served moreso as part of the entree. Also the sauces are Japanese... like ponzu and that creamy horseradish dip. I like marinated meat and sort of expected it. It was a bit disappointing to find out the Japanese don't do it that way. To me, that's the most noticeable difference between the Japanese and kbbq. But it was still alright.

Back