Esencia - purchase docs

elgringo

One of my friends decided to back out of purchasing at Esencia.  I don't know which neighborhood or plan it was.  He said that he was given over 150 pages of documents to review and was annoyed by some of the things that he read (providing certain kinds of information to third parties, waiving rights for various legal actions, etc.).  I haven't seen the docs myself so I can't corroborate but I thought it was worth mentioning to see what others have experienced.  I've noticed that these kinds of docs have been getting longer and longer over the years.

I've seen 150 page Purchase Agreement and Combined Escrow Instructions come from several tract sales. You've also got HOA documents (Master and Sub) plus natural hazard reports, prelims, Mello Roos disclosures, and then come upgrade requests. If I had to guess it's about 2,500 pages total to buy a new home today. Resale homes in dual HOA areas are a few hundred less pages.

The paperwork are mostly disclosures, of which in all you have no say in changing.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
I've seen 150 page Purchase Agreement and Combined Escrow Instructions come from several tract sales. You've also got HOA documents (Master and Sub) plus natural hazard reports, prelims, Mello Roos disclosures, and then come upgrade requests. If I had to guess it's about 2,500 pages total to buy a new home today. Resale homes in dual HOA areas are a few hundred less pages.

The paperwork are mostly disclosures, of which in all you have no say in changing.

My .02c

Well said.  A 150 page contract is definitely on the lighter side.

We did the same. We put our deposit down and received a big packet to sign. It was actually The Ranch that wanted us to sign it.
Details included:
  • we may spray the orchards all around your property, including aerial spraying. and you can't do anything about that, nor will we give you a heads up when we do it
  • they may extend the toll road right behind the community...and it may go right by the school. this may happen and you have no recourse
  • There will be 3 more communities build up after Esencia, so there will be significant traffic through the community and on cow camp road...again, nothing you can do about that
  • There is a water reclamation plant right next to esencia and we use chemicals to mask the smell...at least you can open your windows now at night without suffocating from the stench.
  • we will charge you ridiculous mello roos (~$9k for a 3000sqft home) - in fairness, i knew this before we put the deposit down

especially the aerial pesticide and water treatment plan all less than 1mi away turned us off and we walked away. beautiful community, just comes with too much baggage.

Back