Author Topic: Snowflakes  (Read 9404 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 575
  • -Received: 484
Re: Snowflakes
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2019, 12:54:24 PM »
Conversely..GOP is now trivializing all racial issues are nothing and that people are just making stuff up.   Even things like voter suppression and revoking the Civil Rights Act..where it's basically "WE DON'T SEE COLOR AND THUS THERE IS NO RACISM".   

So...let's not equate calls for minute changes in culture and society with the systematic efforts of GOP/conservative (and mostly white older individuals) to roll back the clock to the 1950s.

Question:  Are you outraged by those things too?

Online morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 267
  • -Received: 297
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:22 PM »
Chancellor Conoley is exactly the snowflake type forward thinking activist I'm talking about.  I question her motives, however, You will ALWAYS find someone who is offended by something. Catering to just a few gripers is no way to run business.  It goes along with the theme of this thread,  at some point the tail cannot wag the dog.  90% of Indians don't care so I'm good with the Redskins.  For the rest, you're right its just a name, root for another team,  I'll bet of the 10%, few were actually part of the complainers.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2019, 01:03:16 PM »
Chancellor Conoley is exactly the snowflake type forward thinking activist I'm talking about.  I question her motives, however, You will ALWAYS find someone who is offended by something. Catering to just a few gripers is no way to run business.  It goes along with the theme of this thread,  at some point the tail cannot wag the dog.  90% of Indians don't care so I'm good with the Redskins.  For the rest, you're right its just a name, root for another team,  I'll bet of the 10%, few were actually part of the complainers.

So why do you care if they change the name?  It's their school...how are you affected in anyway? 

There is no tail and no dog...it's society.  Society change all the time...there is nothing to wag.

Online morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2019, 01:11:15 PM »
You see we are arguing the trivial.  Say there are Aztecs...which ones complained? Also, who is talking about revoking the civil rights act? Is there a bill the floor to do that?  If so, I am unaware of it.  Arguing about Aztecs and cartoon characterless is pointless and trivial.  People need to buck up.  As i pointed out comedy is dead, it is in fact making fun of peoples shortcomings.  I used to love hearing Filipino comedians, they told jokes and pointed out foibles that only a Filipino would find funny.  I enjoy a good Filipino joke.  Mirrors are very often the best way to laugh and gain insight into ones self.  We are all not perfect or the same, we should celebrate those differences not bemoan them. Rickles used to give a ten minute speech before his act about comedy and deprecation.  This society has become too soft and weak. It can't take a joke or a punch.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 303
  • -Received: 568
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »
Eye, I am more than acquainted with Phil/Am struggles, politics and shortcomings. Like I said, my family was instrumental in securing Philippine Independence from the US.  Bit don't kid yourself, like any third world nation the corruption and dirty dealing is overwhelming.  In many ways Independence cut off their nose despite their face.  US rule there had its good points.  Look at the sate of affairs are there now.  Not ideal.

What does that have to do with Asian Americans?

1. Your right. It has nothing to do with Asian Americans.
2. There’s no way to verify what’s he saying regarding his family. To me it’s just noise. He wants credit for something that doesn’t effect us in any way. (Again we can’t verify it.
3. If his family was so powerful why did they migrate to the US? (It just doesn’t make sense)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »
You see we are arguing the trivial.  Say there are Aztecs...which ones complained? Also, who is talking about revoking the civil rights act? Is there a bill the floor to do that?  If so, I am unaware of it.  Arguing about Aztecs and cartoon characterless is pointless and trivial.  People need to buck up.  As i pointed out comedy is dead, it is in fact making fun of peoples shortcomings.  I used to love hearing Filipino comedians, they told jokes and pointed out foibles that only a Filipino would find funny.  I enjoy a good Filipino joke.  Mirrors are very often the best way to laugh and gain insight into ones self.  We are all not perfect or the same, we should celebrate those differences not bemoan them. Rickles used to give a ten minute speech before his act about comedy and deprecation.  This society has become too soft and weak. It can't take a joke or a punch.

I am not arguing the trivial...you are.  I gave it zero thought until you brought it up.   You are the one who is annoyed at it.  I could not care less.  If some school or team decided to change their mascot tomorrow for whatever reason...I would be like meh. 

I mean blackface used to be norm in the society too...is society getting to soft because it is not anymore?  Find new things to laugh about.

I mean shaking your fist at clouds is a thing that is done but hardly ever true or productive.   

Online morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »
That's sort of the point Eye,  I have 0 desire to live in the PI. No matter how much money or power resides there.  (Crazy rich asians not for me)  I have been asian american (in america) for as long as I can remember.  Never really struggled with it, in fact for me, it never was an issue, just not down with the struggle.  Don't care if you believe it or not but thats the fact Jack.   Besides my wife would never want to live there (OC Girl)

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
  • -Given: 491
  • -Received: 316
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2019, 01:26:20 PM »
I mean blackface used to be norm in the society too...is society getting to soft because it is not anymore?  Find new things to laugh about.

It still is the norm within the Democratic party.
eyephone:  Your the snowflake lil bitch. Making up fake stories.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2019, 01:43:02 PM »
Again your story doesn’t make sense. Now you are making stuff up and going in circles.

That's sort of the point Eye,  I have 0 desire to live in the PI. No matter how much money or power resides there.  (Crazy rich asians not for me)  I have been asian american (in america) for as long as I can remember.  Never really struggled with it, in fact for me, it never was an issue, just not down with the struggle.  Don't care if you believe it or not but thats the fact Jack.   Besides my wife would never want to live there (OC Girl)

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2019, 01:43:35 PM »

So why do you care if they change the name?  It's their school...how are you affected in anyway? 

There is no tail and no dog...it's society.  Society change all the time...there is nothing to wag.

The real story behind CSULB has more to do with corporate branding than people being offended by Prospector Pete (a fictional representation that hasn't inflicted any real harm upon anybody.)  In their view, re-branding as 'The Beach' makes the school more attractive to out-of-state transfers and international students, the very people that pay the most in tuition.  (After all, who wouldn't want to go to college at the BEACH?) 

I bet less than 1% of students give a crap about Prospector Pete.  It's a commuter school with an apathetic student body.  It's just that by throwing a bone to the "activists" on campus they get their virtue signalling brownie points and it's a convenient excuse to re-brand at the behest of their corporate fund-raising consultants, who have to earn their fees.  The whole thing is a joke and a pack of lies being perpetuated by the chancellor, IMO.

Online morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2019, 01:44:04 PM »
What did I make up?

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »

The real story behind CSULB has more to do with corporate branding than people being offended by Prospector Pete (a fictional representation that hasn't inflicted any real harm upon anybody.)  In their view, re-branding as 'The Beach' makes the school more attractive to out-of-state transfers and international students, the very people that pay the most in tuition.  (After all, who wouldn't want to go to college at the BEACH?) 

I bet less than 1% of students give a crap about Prospector Pete.  It's a commuter school with an apathetic student body.  It's just that by throwing a bone to the "activists" on campus they get their virtue signalling brownie points and it's a convenient excuse to re-brand at the behest of their corporate fund-raising consultants, who have to earn their fees.  The whole thing is a joke and a pack of lies being perpetuated by the chancellor, IMO.

So why should anyone be worked up over it?

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2019, 01:51:51 PM »

This is a strawman on your part.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2019, 01:54:43 PM »
You mention your family secured independence from the US. So your family and many others protested against the US navy base in the Philippines? Unbelievable! (noticed I said many others)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:05:59 PM by eyephone »

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »

This is a strawman on your part.

It's not...because no one cared about it except for Moreakos, who decried it as some sort symbol of failure on the part of society.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: When would be next housing Bottom? by curious george
[Today at 12:54:02 PM]

Re: The Investigation by Kings
[Today at 12:12:20 PM]

Re: Artificial Intelligence by bitmaster20
[Today at 09:09:14 AM]