Government Shutdown

Trump's approval ratings down to the low 40s. 

I am curious to see whether the side that "caves" will get better or worse as a result.  Trump probably doesn't care about the 60% anyways...if he loses on the wall, he loses his base.

So everything I read says we lose money on a shutdown.

If everyone eventually gets paid (even furloughed workers)what does this do for us?

?The Atlantic article: FBI Agents Say the Shutdown Is a Threat to National Security

Nearly 5,000 FBI special agents, intelligence analysts, attorneys, and professional staff have been furloughed.

They?ve weathered blistering attacks from the president, the exposure of sensitive sources, and the politicization of classified information. And now they?re not getting paid. ?I?m not going to try to candy-coat it,? Tom O?Connor, a special agent and president of the FBI Agents Association, told me this week. ?We really feel that the financial insecurities we are facing right now equate to a national-security issue.?

O?Connor also described a mounting backlog at Quantico labs, which provide forensic-analysis support services to the FBI, and said that funds supporting drug trafficking and undercover operations have been dangerously limited. Some, particularly those who work at Quantico labs, are not even allowed to come to work because of the shutdown. ?FBI headquarters is trying to make sure that the most important topics are covered,? O?Connor said. ?But that will get more and more difficult as the pot of money gets smaller and is not refilled.? According to an FBIAA spokesman, FBI field offices are responsible for allocating their resources and determining which activities are most central to specific missions or operations. Which areas are prioritized?whether it?s drug trafficking, counterterrorism, etc.?is also at the discretion of field-office leadership. ?However, as the pool of resources dwindles, the scope of what can be adequately funded will also shrink,? the spokesman, Paul Nathanson, said.?

Source:https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-shutdown-threatens-national-security/580039/

Kind of an important typo there in the first line:
?TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Newly appointed Arizona Senator Martha McSally has stated she WILL accept her pay until the partial government shutdown ends.?

aquabliss said:
Kind of an important typo there in the first line:
?TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Newly appointed Arizona Senator Martha McSally has stated she WILL accept her pay until the partial government shutdown ends.?

The unwelcome irony of the Senate leaving town - getting paid without working as federal workers work without getting paid ...

"CNN Article: The US Coast Guard took down a tip sheet suggesting thousands of furloughed employees supplement their income by having garage sales, baby-sitting and becoming a "mystery shopper."

The Washington Post reported that the tip sheet, titled "Managing Your Finances During a Furlough," was posted on the website of the Coast Guard employee support program called CG SUPRT. According to the Post, after the newspaper inquired about the tip sheet the Coast Guard took down the document late Wednesday morning.
Coast Guard spokesperson Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride confirmed the page had been taken down.
"The information in this document does not reflect the Coast Guard's current efforts to support its workforce during the lapse," he told CNN in a statement. "As such, it has been removed from the CG Support website."
According to the Post, the five-page tip sheet encouraged furloughed employees to "be creative" and offered ideas for supplementing income like "have a garage sale - clean out your attic, basement and closets at the same time," and "turn your hobby into income."

Selling items online, baby-sitting, walking pets, tutoring and becoming a "mystery shopper" were all suggested ways to help employees cope with what is now the second-longest government shutdown in modern political history.

The partial government shutdown was in its 19th day on Wednesday, with an end not appearing imminent. President Donald Trump walked out of a meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer on Wednesday and called discussions with congressional Democrats "a total waste of time."

The Post reported the tip sheet applied to the 8,500 civilians who make up the Coast Guard's workforce. About 6,400 employees are on indefinite furlough, the Post reports, and 2,100 are essential employees working without pay. These employees were last paid for the two-week period ending on December 22, according to the Post.
"Yes, your credit score may suffer during this time," the document reads, but it encourages employees to "keep things in perspective." The tip sheet says that during times of financial stress the credit score "becomes secondary to taking care of the basic necessities for your family."
"Bankruptcy is a last option," the document reads.

source:https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/politics/coast-guard-furlough-garage-sales/index.html

My comment: Is this a solution? Selling items online, having garage sales, walking pets

This is not right. The families are getting shafted.

irvinehomeowner said:
So everything I read says we lose money on a shutdown.

If everyone eventually gets paid (even furloughed workers)what does this do for us?

"The Hill Article: The United States may be in danger of losing its triple-A credit rating if a shutdown drags on and the debt ceiling becomes a political issue, according to credit rating agency Fitch.

?If this shutdown continues to March 1 and the debt ceiling becomes a problem several months later, we may need to start thinking about the policy framework, the inability to pass a budget ... and whether all of that is consistent with triple-A,? Fitch?s global head of sovereign ratings, James McCormack, said Wednesday in London, according to Reuters.

Speaking to CNBC, McCormack also said that increased spending and lower tax revenue was leading to ?a meaningful fiscal deterioration.?

source:https://thehill.com/policy/finance/...own-debt-ceiling-could-lower-us-credit-rating

"Seeking Alpha Article: Government shutdown, market volatility could delay early 2019 IPOs: WSJ

The partial U.S. government shutdown along with regulatory uncertainty and market volatility could delay some initial public offerings, especially those that were slated for early in the year, the Wall Street Journal reports.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission said Wednesday it would stop declaring effective registration statements--on of the necessary steps in taking a company public--because it's operating with a skeletal staff during the shutdown.

Companies may be wary of proceeding with roadshows early in January if a shutdown continues and the SEC isn't able to declare registration statements effective.

The SEC won't resume declaring registration statements until the shutdown is over. So far, there's no indication of how long the shutdown will last. Congress is adjourned until Monday.

About three dozen companies, on average, go public in U.S. markets during the first quarter of each year, Dealogic data shows."

source:https://seekingalpha.com/news/34196...n-market-volatility-delay-early-2019-ipos-wsj

Still not seeing how a shutdown will get us money to build a wall.

I've also seen news reports saying that Trump never claimed that Mexico will pay for the wall.

I feel like we are in the Twlight Zone and I'm hoping for the episode to end.

Is this a president that has the best interests of the American people? He is rejecting proposals by Republicans to reopen government. I surely hope it's mostly his base that feels the pain of this shutdown.

Cares said:
Is this a president that has the best interests of the American people? He is rejecting proposals by Republicans to reopen government. I surely hope it's mostly his base that feels the pain of this shutdown.

They don't care...coal miners actually thinks that Trump can bring back those "COAL JOBS" or steel workers thinking that those "steel jobs" are coming back.

It's all about feels right now.

Even his most friendly pollster, Rasmussen has him at 55 disapproval, highest in a long time.  His rabid base is also shrinking. 

Witness the quiet on these threads normally teeming with pro trump adulation. 

Although it may be more like a coiled spring waiting to spray all of us with a barrage of posts the instant something even remotely positive happens for trump in the news cycle  :)

it's not about the money.  $5.6 billion is literally 0.1% of the total budget.  it's like your wife asking you if you want to spend $55 to put up a fence around your house and you cry and say no because your wife has won too many arguments lately.

just remember folks, approval ratings are temporary, walls are forever  ;)

Kings said:
it's not about the money.  $5.6 billion is literally 0.1% of the total budget.  it's like your wife asking you if you want to spend $55 to put up a fence around your house and you cry and say no because your wife has won too many arguments lately.

$55 is still $55 that I'm paying and not my neighbor like promised.

If poll numbers are thought to make or break our Commanders In Chief, I'm sure President Hillary Clinton would be oh so fascinated to hear about this important shift in reality.

Cares said:
Kings said:

$55 is still $55 that I'm paying and not my neighbor like promised.

oh, you mean like new trade deals and agreements like this to keep illegals in mexico versus here in the US?  nobody said mexico was writing a check.  find me where trump says mexico will bring pallets of cash (like obama gave to iran) and i'll eat my hat.

Mexico agrees to hold asylum-seekers at border

Incoming Mexican President Andr?s Manuel L?pez Obrador will work with the Trump administration to keep asylum-seekers out of the U.S. while their applications are pending in court, according to a Mexican official with knowledge of the talks.

The tentative agreement is a departure from current U.S. procedure, which allows those seeking asylum to remain in the U.S. until their case is reviewed by an immigration judge. U.S. and Mexican officials have been secretly negotiating for the past two months, the official said, and are nearing a final deal.

?There are still some things to be negotiated and finalized, but we?re almost there,? said the official, who was not authorized to speak publicly.

Trump seemed to confirm the agreement Saturday, tweeting that ?Migrants at the Southern Border will not be allowed into the United States until their claims are individually approved in court.?

?We only will allow those who come into our Country legally,? the president wrote. ?Other than that our very strong policy is Catch and Detain.?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/24/trump-mexico-migrants-asylum-border-shutdown-1012701

Back