Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 7871 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 575
  • -Received: 484
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #210 on: January 24, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »
But it's not that big of a deal!

The chairman of President Donald Trump's Council of Economic Advisers said Wednesday the United States could post no economic growth in the first quarter if the federal government does not reopen.

"If [the shutdown] extended for the whole quarter, and given the fact that the first quarter tends to be low because of residual seasonality, then you could end up with a number very close to zero in the first quarter," Kevin Hassett told CNN.

Asked whether GDP growth could hit zero in the quarter, Hassett said "Yes, we could."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/white-house-chief-economist-we-could-see-zero-growth-in-first-quarter-because-of-shutdown.html

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
  • -Given: 181
  • -Received: 210
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2019, 08:40:33 PM »
I'm fascinated by the blandly troubled, patiently exasperated tone Pelosi has taken about Trump — as if he's an underperforming doorman in a luxury building — and how much it flummoxes him !

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »
Trump blinks on shutdown yet again ...

Let’s see how he spins it

So far no #winning for him

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2019, 10:23:58 AM »
Trump blinks on shutdown yet again ...

Let’s see how he spins it

So far no #winning for him

So basically...all the federal governement workers hurt and economy damaged because Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter threw temper tantrums

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 303
  • -Received: 568
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »
“NBC article: Air traffic controller shortage delays flights at several major US airports

On Day 35 of the partial government shutdown, a shortage of air traffic controllers prompts the Federal Aviation Administration to delay flights into New York's LaGuardia Airport.

Flights are also delayed at several other major airports, including Newark Liberty International Airport.

An increase in sick leave among air traffic controllers delayed flights at several major airports in the eastern U.S. on Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

Flights at New York's LaGuardia Airport, Newark Liberty International Airport and Philadelphia International Airport were delayed on Day 35 of the partial government shutdown. More than 14,000 air traffic controllers and thousands of others federal aviation workers have been deemed essential and have been ordered to work even though they aren't receiving regular pay due to the impasse between lawmakers and President Donald Trump over funding for a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico.

The FAA had briefly halted flights into LaGuardia and some arriving flights were delayed almost an hour and a half, the agency said. By early afternoon, delays had moderated at Philadelphia and Newark, but had picked up at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the world's busiest and a hub of Delta Air Lines, according to the FAA.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/faa-halts-traffic-into-laguardia-airport-amid-shortage-of-tsa-workers.html

My comment: Delays in airports such as Airports in NY and Georgia. This is not a good thing.

I have been to those airports before. I can tell you a lot of travelers.

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
So, government temporarily re-opens, there's no funding for the wall, Mexico isn't paying for it, no caravan has crossed and converted Americans to Islam, crime has not skyrocketed, undocumented immigrants have not replaced every American worker.

Maybe the wall isn't needed?

Online morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 267
  • -Received: 297
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2019, 11:33:34 AM »
We'll know in 21 days....if true, then...

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
If he can rationalize this stinging , slap in the face defeat ,

Maybe he can rationalize resigning at some point or not running for a 2nd term ...

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #218 on: January 28, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »
There were government workers sleeping in their car because they couldn’t afford gas money.

Federal workers resort to sleeping in cars, unable to afford gas money

http://www.ktvu.com/news/federal-workers-resort-to-sleeping-in-cars-unable-to-afford-gas-money

Living pay check to pay check is common. People didn’t bribe me when I gave that info fact.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:11:59 PM by eyephone »

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #219 on: January 28, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
There were government workers sleeping j. Their car because they couldn’t afford gas money.

Federal workers resort to sleeping in cars, unable to afford gas money

http://www.ktvu.com/news/federal-workers-resort-to-sleeping-in-cars-unable-to-afford-gas-money

Living pay check to pay check is common. People didn’t bribe me when I gave that info fact.

They should have just gotten bridge financing from Goldman or Chase.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »
Does the Trump administration get it?

Wilbur Ross says unpaid federal workers shouldn’t need food banks, they can just get a loan

Thursday on CNBC’s “Squawk Box, ” Ross acknowledged that he had heard that some federal workers affected by the prolonged shutdown have been going to shelters for food, but said he didn’t understand why.

“I know they are [going to homeless shelters] and I don’t really quite understand why because as I mentioned before, the obligations that they would undertake – say borrowing from a bank or credit union – are in effect federally guaranteed,” said Ross. “So the 30 days of pay that people will be out – there’s no real reason why they shouldn’t be able to get a loan against it and we’ve seen a number of ads from the financial institutions doing that.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/24/commerce-secretary-ross-says-unpaid-federal-workers-should-just-get-a-loan.html

Dem invites Ross to food bank to see plight of furloughed workers

A Democratic lawmaker is inviting Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to visit a food bank in Washington, D.C., after the Cabinet official said he doesn't understand why furloughed federal employees need help during the government shutdown.

"I wanted to extend an invitation to you to visit the Capital Area Food Bank with me this weekend to meet some of these federal employees, hear their stories firsthand, and realize how important it is to end this shutdown as soon a possible before people’s lives are irreparably harmed," Rep. Jennifer Wexton (D-Va.) wrote in a letter to Ross on Thursday.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/426847-dem-invites-ross-to-food-bank-to-see-why-furloughed-federal-workers-use-it

Do the Republicans get it?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2055
  • -Received: 3514
  • 3CWG
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2019, 07:59:07 AM »
So what was the end result of this?

Did we save money?

Is the wall built?

Or was this just another unsuccessful bullying attempt?
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Online morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2019, 08:07:01 AM »
The government shutdown? >:D

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2055
  • -Received: 3514
  • 3CWG
« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2019, 08:40:44 AM »
We'll know in 21 days....if true, then...

So what happened?
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Online morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
In the end its a push. All the lines are still in place, nothing seems to have changed, moved or ended. Heck, no one even seems to remember it even happened.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: When would be next housing Bottom? by curious george
[Today at 12:54:02 PM]

Re: The Investigation by Kings
[Today at 12:12:20 PM]

Re: Artificial Intelligence by bitmaster20
[Today at 09:09:14 AM]