Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 15269 times)

Offline fortune11

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 193
  • -Received: 222
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »
Even his most friendly pollster, Rasmussen has him at 55 disapproval, highest in a long time.  His rabid base is also shrinking. 

Witness the quiet on these threads normally teeming with pro trump adulation. 

Although it may be more like a coiled spring waiting to spray all of us with a barrage of posts the instant something even remotely positive happens for trump in the news cycle  :)

Offline Kings

• Thanks
  • -Given: 284
  • -Received: 285
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »
it's not about the money.  $5.6 billion is literally 0.1% of the total budget.  it's like your wife asking you if you want to spend $55 to put up a fence around your house and you cry and say no because your wife has won too many arguments lately.

just remember folks, approval ratings are temporary, walls are forever  ;)

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 64
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 02:25:30 PM »
it's not about the money.  $5.6 billion is literally 0.1% of the total budget.  it's like your wife asking you if you want to spend $55 to put up a fence around your house and you cry and say no because your wife has won too many arguments lately.

$55 is still $55 that I'm paying and not my neighbor like promised.

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 670
  • -Received: 952
  • Mmmm....people.....
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 02:29:29 PM »
If poll numbers are thought to make or break our Commanders In Chief, I'm sure President Hillary Clinton would be oh so fascinated to hear about this important shift in reality.

Offline Kings

• Thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 02:30:51 PM »

oh, you mean like new trade deals and agreements like this to keep illegals in mexico versus here in the US?  nobody said mexico was writing a check.  find me where trump says mexico will bring pallets of cash (like obama gave to iran) and i'll eat my hat.

Mexico agrees to hold asylum-seekers at border

Incoming Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador will work with the Trump administration to keep asylum-seekers out of the U.S. while their applications are pending in court, according to a Mexican official with knowledge of the talks.

The tentative agreement is a departure from current U.S. procedure, which allows those seeking asylum to remain in the U.S. until their case is reviewed by an immigration judge. U.S. and Mexican officials have been secretly negotiating for the past two months, the official said, and are nearing a final deal.

“There are still some things to be negotiated and finalized, but we’re almost there,” said the official, who was not authorized to speak publicly.

Trump seemed to confirm the agreement Saturday, tweeting that “Migrants at the Southern Border will not be allowed into the United States until their claims are individually approved in court.”

“We only will allow those who come into our Country legally,” the president wrote. “Other than that our very strong policy is Catch and Detain.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/24/trump-mexico-migrants-asylum-border-shutdown-1012701

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »
If poll numbers are thought to make or break our Commanders In Chief, I'm sure President Hillary Clinton would be oh so fascinated to hear about this important shift in reality.

In your make believe world , the republicans have NOT lost 40 house  seats in the biggest midterm loss in decades and the biggest popular vote thrashing in decades .

Keep Clinging on to the memories of November 2016 when you don’t have anything else to say

Not unlike many other old trumpsters that are longing for a make believe fantasy of 1950s America that will never come back ...

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 585
  • -Received: 508
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2019, 05:14:57 PM »

oh, you mean like new trade deals and agreements like this to keep illegals in mexico versus here in the US?  nobody said mexico was writing a check.  find me where trump says mexico will bring pallets of cash (like obama gave to iran) and i'll eat my hat.

Start eating:

In an April 2016 memo, Trump’s campaign outlined the steps he could take to get Mexico to pay for the wall.

"It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year," the memo said.

Trump proposed measures to compel Mexico to pay for the wall, such as cutting off remittances sent from undocumented Mexicans in the U.S. via wire transfers.

Then, the memo says, if and when the Mexican government protested, they would be told to pay a lump sum "to the United States to pay for the wall, the Trump Administration will not promulgate the final rule, and the regulation will not go into effect." The plan lists a few other methods if that didn’t work, like the trade deficit, canceling Mexican visas or increasing visa fees. (Experts have told us there isn’t a connection between the U.S.-Mexico trade deficit and finding money for a wall.)

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/jan/10/donald-trump/trump-claims-he-never-meant-mexico-would-write-che/

Seriously...facts have no effects on Trumpsters

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 06:23:34 PM »
FACTS FREE ZONE!

In an address Monday to the American Farm Bureau Federation, Trump said his negotiations with China were “going very well,” but figures released Monday by the Chinese government showed that his plan isn’t working. Instead the U.S. trade deficit with China grew 17 percent in 2018, to a record $323.32 billion. Over the past year, as Trump launched a trade war with Beijing, Chinese exports to the U.S. grew by 11.3 percent, while China’s imports of American goods rose just 0.7 percent. American farmers have borne the biggest short term brunt of Trump’s policies, with U.S. soybean exports to China falling 98 percent in 2018 as Beijing retaliated against tariffs imposed by the president.

Industry experts point out that employment in the steel industry will almost certainly continue to decline as a consequence of automation, even if production and profits increase. As the conservative think tank AEI points out, “Mr. Trump’s tariffs are trying to revive a world of steel production that no longer exists. He is taxing steel-consuming industries that employ 6.5 million and have the potential to grow more jobs to help a declining industry that employs only 140,000.”

But an analysis of coal-fired power plants in the U.S. found that the industry as a whole continues its downward trajectory. In fact, more coal-fired power plants have closed during the first two years of Trump’s presidency than in all of former President Barack Obama’s first term, Reuters reported Monday.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-promises-coal-steel-china-trade-falling-flat-235120673.html

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 391
  • -Received: 329
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »

I'll bet the Dems would be more than happy to pay $5.6 billion to tear down the existing border barriers.

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 391
  • -Received: 329
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 06:39:16 PM »
Yup. Would anyone today even know who Emperor Hadrian was if not for his 2,000 year old wall that still today marks the England-Scotland border?

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 06:46:06 PM »
At the rate trumpeters are quickly changing their positions to match whatever nonsense trump is spouting (yeah trump never said Mexico was going to pay for the wall )

Trump just has to say that the wall is already built and done and his cult members will believe it and we can all move along ... win win for everyone !

Offline Kings

• Thanks
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 06:07:40 AM »

Start eating:

In an April 2016 memo, Trump’s campaign outlined the steps he could take to get Mexico to pay for the wall.

"It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year," the memo said.

Trump proposed measures to compel Mexico to pay for the wall, such as cutting off remittances sent from undocumented Mexicans in the U.S. via wire transfers.

Then, the memo says, if and when the Mexican government protested, they would be told to pay a lump sum "to the United States to pay for the wall, the Trump Administration will not promulgate the final rule, and the regulation will not go into effect." The plan lists a few other methods if that didn’t work, like the trade deficit, canceling Mexican visas or increasing visa fees. (Experts have told us there isn’t a connection between the U.S.-Mexico trade deficit and finding money for a wall.)

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/jan/10/donald-trump/trump-claims-he-never-meant-mexico-would-write-che/

ah moving the goalposts again i see! where does it say pallets of cash?

Offline Kings

• Thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 06:12:28 AM »

In your make believe world , the republicans have NOT lost 40 house  seats in the biggest midterm loss in decades and the biggest popular vote thrashing in decades .

Keep Clinging on to the memories of November 2016 when you don’t have anything else to say

Not unlike many other old trumpsters that are longing for a make believe fantasy of 1950s America that will never come back ...

LOL biggest midterm loss in decades....obama lost 63 house seats AND 6 senate seats in 2010! you want a rejection of a president there you go!

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 08:32:22 AM »

LOL biggest midterm loss in decades....obama lost 63 house seats AND 6 senate seats in 2010! you want a rejection of a president there you go!

And yet GOP lost by more percentage points than Obama did in 2010...but hey gerrymandering is a strategy.

Keep burying your head in the sand and living in the past...delude yourself like Trumpsters do with global economy and climate change. 

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »

Start eating:

ah moving the goalposts again i see! where does it say pallets of cash?

Really?  So the line is now "pallets of cash"?  What if they used EFT or a cashier's check?   

So ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:39:11 AM by Irvinecommuter »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts