Converting California Room to Conservatory/Office

shadyoc

When we bought the house, we got a California room.  There was not an option for the conservatory at the time.  Now I?d like to use the room for an office or convert it to extra space.  That would require moving the bi folding doors back and adding walls etc.  has anyone done this before and estimate what the costs are?

I read through the threads but doesn?t say if any owners ended up completing this project?

I tried emailing David Gill Construction but got a bounce back.  Any others?

I went to an HOA meeting where a lady was arguing to do this and HOA would not approve because the rear neighbors said it made the living area too close.

If you get HOA and neighbor approval, make sure you have proper permits or you can?t count the square footage when you resell.

One alternative to cover an outdoor space or conservatory room is to go with Polar Shade. It is wind proof and sun shade proof. It comes with mechanical roller and operate via apps or can be configured to roll up or roll down automatically according to wind and sun settings. This is allow you to have a room or an outdoor space as needed. The best part is that it does not cost a ton of money for contractor works and permit. HOA does not even care as you can move it up and down. Worth taking a look to see if it solve your problem on the least expensive options.

Compressed-Village said:
One alternative to cover an outdoor space or conservatory room is to go with Polar Shade. It is wind proof and sun shade proof. It comes with mechanical roller and operate via apps or can be configured to roll up or roll down automatically according to wind and sun settings. This is allow you to have a room or an outdoor space as needed. The best part is that it does not cost a ton of money for contractor works and permit. HOA does not even care as you can move it up and down. Worth taking a look to see if it solve your problem on the least expensive options.

I have something very similar to this in my California room. Mine is solar powered so there is no power cords to worry about. Very cost effective, had it installed for under 1k. HOA approved it with no problems. Highly recommend it.

Attachments

• Solar Shade 1.jpg
    Solar Shade 1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 502
  • Solar Shade 2.jpg
    Solar Shade 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 512
You can leave this thing down in heavy winds?  How does that work out if there are no tracks on the sides?

Compressed-Village said:

How well can you control the climate in there?  Also, what about bugs?

@Aquabliss - No problem leaving it down in heavy winds. Been through a few crazy santa ana winds since 2016 and never had an issue. Not sure if you could see it from the pictures but there are steel string tracks on both sides. I dont think you can leave the shades down during heavy winds without them.

@Paydawg - We could really feel the temperature difference in the summer time. It's at least 10 degree cooler than outside (with ceiling fan running)
In the winter time the temp feels a lot closer to outside. We put the shades down and get the fireplace going. It warms up very nicely in the California room.
I honestly don't know if the shades keeps bugs out or not. Never had an issues with bugs but that is most likely due to having an electric bug zapper running almost year round next to the pool&spa.

@kenkoko how do you get something like this approved by the HOA? never done anything like it before.

B2FiNiTY said:
@kenkoko how do you get something like this approved by the HOA? never done anything like it before.

Because it is retractable so it fell under the awning category in my HOA bylaws. We chose the solar option (no need to connect to power)  for the shades for easy approval as well. It also looks cleaner due to not having any cords.  The only thing we had to compromise on was the color. HOA only approves certain colors to match the exterior stucco.

irvinehomeowner said:
@kenkoko: What/who is brand/contractor? This is great add-on for Cali Rooms.

Brand is Sunsetter
Bought from Costco
Used the contractor that was promoting it at Costco. I forgot their name, have to dig up old records. I shopped their price with 3 or 4 other contractors and was not able to beat it.

Back