Author Topic: Buying a House in OC  (Read 6499 times)

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 320
  • -Received: 576
Re: Buying a House in OC
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
This house has a nice yard, but right next to the 405.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/17201-Chestnut-92612/home/4708590

The SFR homes in 700-800k range typically are next to the freeways or train tracks. That Appomattox house is pretty close to the freeway also. Some studies done living within 500 meters of a freeway and your health problems increase quite a bit. If you have small children playing outside a lot, I would worry about that.

Another negative health risk living close to the freeway.

https://news.usc.edu/21282/Children-Near-Roads-Face-Asthma-Risk/

« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:53:51 PM by eyephone »

Offline irvineband

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 19
  • -Received: 7
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 06:47:55 PM »
If we do ultimately become a mostly electric car nation especially cali then backing to streets and traffic with cars releasing h2o and making no sound may actually reduce or eliminate discount for these properties that back to roads. The privacy is still there barely but nothing some landscaping can’t take care of.

The SFR homes in 700-800k range typically are next to the freeways or train tracks. That Appomattox house is pretty close to the freeway also. Some studies done living within 500 meters of a freeway and your health problems increase quite a bit. If you have small children playing outside a lot, I would worry about that.

Another negative effect is that it may cause birth defects living close to the freeway.

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a27251821/usc_study_living_near_freeways_doubles_infant_autism_risk_would_like_your_opinion

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 320
  • -Received: 576
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 11:51:49 PM »
1. That will take a long time to go all electric.
2. The freeway is practically always busy. It’s the 405 fwy not the toll road.

If we do ultimately become a mostly electric car nation especially cali then backing to streets and traffic with cars releasing h2o and making no sound may actually reduce or eliminate discount for these properties that back to roads. The privacy is still there barely but nothing some landscaping can’t take care of.

Another negative effect is that it may cause birth defects living close to the freeway.

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a27251821/usc_study_living_near_freeways_doubles_infant_autism_risk_would_like_your_opinion

Offline Rizdak

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 30
  • -Received: 38
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2018, 05:45:34 AM »
Also big rigs, motorcycles gunning it at 100 decibels, emergency vehicles with sirens... lots of things I heard living next to a busy road. It wouldn’t just be personal electric cars anytime soon IMO.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2083
  • -Received: 3528
  • 3CWG
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 06:29:25 AM »
Also big rigs, motorcycles gunning it at 100 decibels, emergency vehicles with sirens... lots of things I heard living next to a busy road. It wouldn’t just be personal electric cars anytime soon IMO.

Yep. And it’s not the engine noise that is actually a nuisance, it’s just the sound of thousands of pounds of vehicles rolling on the road.

That being said, if you are aware of the issue, and can deal with it or may just be something of a shorter term, many people will trade the discount for the poor location. When we were younger we lived close to a freeway/main road but looking back we probably should have stretched a bit more for a better location. Yet, we were able to sell at a good price because some people don’t mind that proximity.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2073
  • -Received: 1644
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
You may also want to consider Tustin Ranch and Foothill Ranch as a good alternative.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline ucoc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
You may also want to consider Tustin Ranch and Foothill Ranch as a good alternative.

The location of Tustin Ranch is definitely a good alternative. We haven’t seen a good SFR there yet though. Hopefully will come more listings in 2019. Are there some single floor houses in that area still zoned to good schools? I may be wanting too much in our budget though.

Foothill Ranch or Lake Forest is a little bit far from everything for us.

Offline ucoc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
Yes, we will have to wait a bit since our rent is up to late 2019. We should start looking more seriously soon though since it may take months to find and remodel and completely move in. Hopefully there will come more homes in our budget. We did see that Appomattax one. We liked everything except it was backing Trabuco. But it was nice that no home was behind. I thought it was sold already, but looks like it’s relisted.

For what it’s worth as someone who’s lived next to a busy Irvine road... traffic and noise only get worse as the county expands. Just something I would reconsider if I could go back 10 years.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. We’ll take that into consideration.

Offline ucoc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments. It seems like we should try to avoid close proximity to big roads since we have a little one.

Offline irvineband

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 19
  • -Received: 7
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »
Just another note from el camino, the ranch. Ive heard from some friends that on the west side of norris that have no issues with the railroad. I would suspect then that Kron and Skinner are fine on the West side of the street. I’m sire the other side of the street is fine as well probably up to the last house but I don’t know anyone there sorry! I would be hu ting hard in these areas you can not replace good location but a house can be replaced. that el camino area may be the last really central area to stake a claim on some land, lime in the movie, far and away :)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »
So when I lived in Westpark II, I could always here the railroad and that was at least 2 hoods over from our location. Back in the day, I would spend some time with friends who lived in that El Camino area and would always hear (and feel) the train.

But maybe I'm noise sensitive... qwerdeaf couldn't hear the train even if he was riding in it. :)
I recommend:

Offline ucoc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 09:59:29 AM »
So when I lived in Westpark II, I could always here the railroad and that was at least 2 hoods over from our location. Back in the day, I would spend some time with friends who lived in that El Camino area and would always hear (and feel) the train.

But maybe I'm noise sensitive... qwerdeaf couldn't hear the train even if he was riding in it. :)

I once lived in Westpark I and even from there I could hear the railroad. Usually at night time when everything was super quiet though. I also could hear the airplane noise, but it wasn’t too bad.

Offline superbobbay

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 4
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 01:53:24 AM »

I once lived in Westpark I and even from there I could hear the railroad. Usually at night time when everything was super quiet though. I also could hear the airplane noise, but it wasn’t too bad.

You could hear the airplanes and trains!??  :'( I've been focused on buying my first home in Westpark due to it's close location to the 405 and it's in the middle of everything. Hmm...was the noise a deal breaker?

Offline ucoc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »

You could hear the airplanes and trains!??  :'( I've been focused on buying my first home in Westpark due to it's close location to the 405 and it's in the middle of everything. Hmm...was the noise a deal breaker?

I also loved the location of Westpark. The noise was not too bad. The airplane noise was usually in the morning, but some days I couldn’t hear it. Pretty minimum level though. I think you can hear the train sound when it makes the sound no matter where you are, but nothing like the shaking from the railroad or anything like that. I wouldn’t say the noise was a deal breaker for me.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 11:35:17 AM »
@superbobbay:

As ucoc said, the airplane noise is minimal because it's usually during the day. The flight path is actually more over the Tustin side of Harvard (qwerplane!).

Westpark I is more south of the train, so you'll hear it less. Where I lived in Westpark II was closer to Irvine Center Drive so closer to the tracks. But in either WP location, the train noise is not loud enough to be a deal breaker.
I recommend:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: God? by irvinehomeowner
[Today at 05:21:15 PM]

Re: God? by Panda
[Today at 04:08:04 PM]

Re: Presidential Elections by Happiness
[Today at 03:37:00 PM]