Stanford Drops Home Equity From Financial-Aid Calculations

The fact that there is any expectation from anyone that a house would need to be borrowed agaisnt to afford college shows how ridiculously expensive college. It shows academia is not in it for the students. The entire collegiate system needs an overhaul. Get rid of four year degrees. Kids should be able to graduate high school and spend two years getting a degree in the field of their choice. Get rid of the two year GE requirement. The federal government can easily force this on them by saying if you accept federal aid you have two offer two year degrees in all majors.

If you really wanted even more drastic changes you could have colleges that just specialize in engineering, business, etc.

I?m going to put in my kids heads as soon as they understand that college is a business decision.  If they want to major in art/English/psychology, Cal St Fullerton here we come. If they want to be doctors or lawyers, the undergrad choice is probably less important than medical/law school so UCI here we come. If they want be business folks I?d consider a top 10-15 private school but would most likely send them to Canada for college :)

Right now USC costs 70K per year to attend all in. Most of that is tuition but includes room and board. Adjusting the 70k at 5% per year for the next 13 years until my first kid starts college, the first year of college would cost 132k with year four costing 152k. The four years would be 569K. Even in today?s dollars having to pay private school for four years would be almost 300K, that is absurd. 

The elite college system is an oligopoly that has resisted market change . What they have going for them is systematic alumni bias In terms of hiring and fat endowments that can only be maintained through an alumni that continues to see the exclusivity . Not unlike some of the luxury car makers.  I say all this having been to an elite school myself and seeing first hand the hiring bias at work .

Tuition costs have far outpaced any resonable inflation . The only other comparison that comes to mind is drug prices and financial sector compensation  Pre 08 crisis

But until the system changes , we are forced to dance to the music as long as it plays ...

qwerty said:
The fact that there is any expectation from anyone that a house would need to be borrowed agaisnt to afford college shows how ridiculously expensive college. It shows academia is not in it for the students. The entire collegiate system needs an overhaul. Get rid of four year degrees. Kids should be able to graduate high school and spend two years getting a degree in the field of their choice. Get rid of the two year GE requirement. The federal government can easily force this on them by saying if you accept federal aid you have two offer two year degrees in all majors.

If you really wanted even more drastic changes you could have colleges that just specialize in engineering, business, etc.

I?m going to put in my kids heads as soon as they understand that college is a business decision.  If they want to major in art/English/psychology, Cal St Fullerton here we come. If they want to be doctors or lawyers, the undergrad choice is probably less important than medical/law school so UCI here we come. If they want be business folks I?d consider a top 10-15 private school but would most likely send them to Canada for college :)

Right now USC costs 70K per year to attend all in. Most of that is tuition but includes room and board. Adjusting the 70k at 5% per year for the next 13 years until my first kid starts college, the first year of college would cost 132k with year four costing 152k. The four years would be 569K. Even in today?s dollars having to pay private school for four years would be almost 300K, that is absurd. 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43ejmj/generation-z-is-skipping-college-for-trade-school?utm_source=vicefbus&fbclid=IwAR21hRC9M3uina_mizqsEHWy1-4R6_62tOp3RQ6-aqbbnZxOdPJg_vsh8m8

Back