Author Topic: The 2020 Presidential Election  (Read 109668 times)

Offline morekaos

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 492
  • -Received: 459
Re: The 2020 Presidential Election
« Reply #1575 on: August 11, 2020, 10:04:12 PM »
Not at all..I’m very exited about this ticket!! :) ;D ;)

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused NMLS Licensed
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 849
  • -Received: 1093
  • Isaiah 58: 6-11
« Reply #1576 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:14 AM »
Voters need to ask themselves if they are willing to make Kamela Harris President, given the inevitable use of the 25th amendment in 2021.

My .02c
My .02c

SGIP

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 596
  • -Received: 527
« Reply #1577 on: August 12, 2020, 09:35:10 AM »
Voters need to ask themselves if they are willing to make Kamela Harris President, given the inevitable use of the 25th amendment in 2021.

My .02c

If the 25th has not been invoked for Trump...I doubt it will be invoked for Biden.  Let us not forget that Reagan had Alzheimer's basically the last two years of his presidency and no one seemed to care.

Biden has a lot of verbal gaffes but he is sharp enough to last 4 years. 

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused NMLS Licensed
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 849
  • -Received: 1093
  • Isaiah 58: 6-11
« Reply #1578 on: August 12, 2020, 09:55:04 AM »
One of these things is not like the other.

Trump was almost "25th" not because of health reasons. That's push was very early on into his Presidency when it was "Russia Russia Russia" He's still able to form a clear thought, speak impromptu, and function. Whether you agree with his politics or not is another story.

Reagan had early onset Alzheimer's diagnosed and admitted to in the 90's. Review any non-partisan or Right of Center data and you'll find little to no evidence of incapacity at the end of his Presidency. People hated Reagan as they hate Trump today and are willing to say anything to make either of them look bad.

Biden has clear issues manifesting almost every time he's off script. I know we've seen very, very little of the man "in the wild" since February. Once out of his scripted zone we'll see if he's functional or not. Its way too early to tell, but what's been seen lately should give us pause. Remember - if you or I suggested that a POC reporter was using crack, as Biden did recently, we would be freshening up our LinkedIn profile right now. Not Ol' Joe though...

My .02c
My .02c

SGIP

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #1579 on: August 12, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »
One of these things is not like the other.

Trump was almost "25th" not because of health reasons. That's push was very early on into his Presidency when it was "Russia Russia Russia" He's still able to form a clear thought, speak impromptu, and function. Whether you agree with his politics or not is another story.

Reagan had early onset Alzheimer's diagnosed and admitted to in the 90's. Review any non-partisan or Right of Center data and you'll find little to no evidence of incapacity at the end of his Presidency. People hated Reagan as they hate Trump today and are willing to say anything to make either of them look bad.

Biden has clear issues manifesting almost every time he's off script. I know we've seen very, very little of the man "in the wild" since February. Once out of his scripted zone we'll see if he's functional or not. Its way too early to tell, but what's been seen lately should give us pause. Remember - if you or I suggested that a POC reporter was using crack, as Biden did recently, we would be freshening up our LinkedIn profile right now. Not Ol' Joe though...

My .02c

If you are using "verbal gaffes" and "off camera issues" as indicators...I can guarantee you that Trump is significantly more problematic than Biden.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/05/could-25th-amendment-used-remove-trump-office/1012979001/

Biden has not ventured out much because he is trying to portray a contrary POV from Trump.  Cautious, deliberate, and staying in shelter. 

Biden just went through 11 debates in the Dem Primary over 7 months.  He was just fine.

https://apnews.com/bf4ab21ed0e509ce4fa49c3e05a67202

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 147
  • -Received: 228
« Reply #1580 on: August 12, 2020, 10:37:41 AM »

My .02c

Do you honestly think there’s a meaningful number of non Trump voters out there who care about that? Enough to swing the election back in Trump’s favor? I think not, most people who dislike her were already voting Trump.

Harris is clearly a poll tested safe choice. It’s reflective of the Democratic party’s state of mind given Biden’s big lead in the polls.

Agree with President Trump or not, he has a strong brand. There are very few people who still don’t have an opinion on President Trump. The polling bears this out too. Trump has sky high support among Republicans, losing independents, and never had meaningful dems support.

This election will be about 1) Covid 2) Trump or not Trump 3) BLM

Harris is a safe choice because she has national name recognition and the democrats just made it easier for people to blindly vote on identity politics.

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 129
  • -Received: 442
« Reply #1581 on: August 12, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »

My .02c

Do you honestly think there’s a meaningful number of non Trump voters out there who care about that? Enough to swing the election back in Trump’s favor? I think not, most people who dislike her were already voting Trump.

Harris is clearly a poll tested safe choice. It’s reflective of the Democratic party’s state of mind given Biden’s big lead in the polls.

Agree with President Trump or not, he has a strong brand. There are very few people who still don’t have an opinion on President Trump. The polling bears this out too. Trump has sky high support among Republicans, losing independents, and never had meaningful dems support.

Harris is a safe choice because she has national name recognition and the democrats just made it easier for people to blindly vote on identity politics.

The problem with Harris is she is core old school Dem party power block. In Cali it doesn't matter.  In Texas, Florida, Penn, MI, Wi, Ohio, it does matter.  Her constituent facebook page plays well with the voting Dem no matter what crowd, in the swing States and wavering traditional red states, it might be boat anchor.

As long Covid and Trump failing stays super painful we are ok, otherwise, she might be costly.   

Biden was an easy pick for the middle.  With Harris in the States in play, adding Harris makes it a hold your nose and pick not Trump.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:12:23 AM by nosuchreality »

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 147
  • -Received: 228
« Reply #1582 on: August 12, 2020, 12:38:10 PM »

My .02c

The problem with Harris is she is core old school Dem party power block. In Cali it doesn't matter.  In Texas, Florida, Penn, MI, Wi, Ohio, it does matter.  Her constituent facebook page plays well with the voting Dem no matter what crowd, in the swing States and wavering traditional red states, it might be boat anchor.

As long Covid and Trump failing stays super painful we are ok, otherwise, she might be costly.   

Biden was an easy pick for the middle.  With Harris in the States in play, adding Harris makes it a hold your nose and pick not Trump.

I see it as a wash. Surely Harris will turn off some voters in the purple swing states like you said. But she will also turnout more voters, especially minorities, who sat on the sidelines in 2016. Like it or not, identity politics is a powerful thing.

Harris is not going to swing this election or even move the needle much imo.

I think the Harris pick is only meaningful to political junkies.

The most I got out of the Harris pick announcement is the  amusement and slight frustration of seeIng BLM people dropping their pet cause to rally in support for Harris.

Also amusing to see law & order Republicans handwringing about Harris' record as a "tough-on-crime" DA & GA. I thought they’d celebrate this rare win for the police  >:D

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #1583 on: August 12, 2020, 01:10:09 PM »

My .02c

Harris is about centralist as it gets...she checks like 90% of the boxes.  If centralist black woman loses votes in "swing states" it is just what it will be. 

Biden will win just on the not Trump and Dem votes.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #1584 on: August 12, 2020, 01:11:02 PM »

My .02c

I see it as a wash. Surely Harris will turn off some voters in the purple swing states like you said. But she will also turnout more voters, especially minorities, who sat on the sidelines in 2016. Like it or not, identity politics is a powerful thing.

Harris is not going to swing this election or even move the needle much imo.

I think the Harris pick is only meaningful to political junkies.

The most I got out of the Harris pick announcement is the  amusement and slight frustration of seeIng BLM people dropping their pet cause to rally in support for Harris.

Also amusing to see law & order Republicans handwringing about Harris' record as a "tough-on-crime" DA & GA. I thought they’d celebrate this rare win for the police  >:D

The image of Harris next to Pence on the debate stage will be a powerful one.

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
« Reply #1585 on: August 13, 2020, 08:44:11 AM »
Looking like 2016 again, GOP going nasty, Dem faithful in denial about the warts.

I'm worrried.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 492
  • -Received: 459
« Reply #1586 on: August 13, 2020, 09:19:18 AM »
I'm ecstatic!! That is what we in the Biz reffer to as...a trend.

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
« Reply #1587 on: August 13, 2020, 10:05:55 AM »

Extend that chart back to January.

Those 200k points going to make winning look really bad.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:11:12 AM by nosuchreality »

Offline Kings

• Thanks
  • -Given: 355
  • -Received: 349
« Reply #1588 on: August 13, 2020, 10:12:35 AM »

nobody remembers january...do you even remember what life was like without wearing a mask?  :D

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #1589 on: August 13, 2020, 02:23:04 PM »

nobody remembers january...do you even remember what life was like without wearing a mask?  :D

Trumpsters do...that was just this morning.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Ravello by Goriot
[Today at 08:18:14 AM]

Re: Statement made by IUSD teachers by bones
[Today at 08:13:27 AM]

Re: Listing at Altair by Dr. CA Real Estate
[Yesterday at 11:47:01 PM]

Re: Great Park - Rise Park - District 5 North by Dr. CA Real Estate