Author Topic: When would be next housing Bottom?  (Read 52714 times)

Offline Liar Loan

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 529
  • -Received: 349
Re: When would be next housing Bottom?
« Reply #825 on: September 06, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
The same house we bought in 2006, was already over our buy price by 2011. And by 2017, it was almost 25% more.

The Irvine motto is "Slower to drop, faster to rise." :)

This seems like an extreme corner case.  2006 was the peak of the market and by most accounts didn't get back to this level until 2016/2017.  2011/2012  is generally considered the bottom of the market.

Probably, I should have added the caveat that this was *my* experience. Although I did check comps for similar homes... remember 3CGW homes are collector items. :)

So if your case was an extreme outlier it should be ignored when examining the data.

In general, less desirable homes, like the condo I bought, crashed the hardest.  That's because the financial profiles of condo owners are typically weaker than SFR owners.  The ability to hang on during a recession is not as strong, so you end up with more foreclosures / short sales, plus a lot of buyers that used subprime / toxic financing to begin with.  (This time around, substitute FHA financing for subprime and the same thing applies.)

For a 3CWG in Irvine, that level of home is harder to attain to begin with, so the financial profiles of those owners is stronger.  That means fewer foreclosures in your segment and smaller price drops, plus a faster recovery.

Nonetheless, it made sense to rent from '06-'11 for most prospective Irvine buyers.

Concerning the current downturn, I would say existing owners should just stay put.  This is because they would pay so much in closing costs to both sell and then re-buy again near the bottom, that it would negate a huge portion of the savings they would achieve by renting.  Whereas, first time buyers would benefit greatly by being cautious (and wise) right now.

Irvine prices are falling.
Irvine rents are falling.
Mortgage rates are falling.

There is absolutely no incentive for first time buyers to rush in right now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:49:02 AM by Liar Loan »

Offline OC_relocation

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 9
  • -Received: 13
« Reply #826 on: September 06, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
This home has been on market for more than 150 days. I am sure price cut is coming soon

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/66-Forbes-92618/home/51682956

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2113
  • -Received: 1669
« Reply #827 on: September 10, 2019, 09:59:12 PM »
This home has been on market for more than 150 days. I am sure price cut is coming soon

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/66-Forbes-92618/home/51682956

Or they won't because the seller is stubborn.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2150
  • -Received: 3570
  • 3CWG
« Reply #828 on: September 13, 2019, 08:48:20 AM »
So if your case was an extreme outlier it should be ignored when examining the data.

I can't be sure it was. As I said, other 3CWGs I looked at had similar value retention.

And I will stick to my contention that real estate is not just about data. Even extreme outliers can't be ignored because you have to consider why there are outliers to understand the effect on the market. As you said, maybe because all I was looking at was 3CWGs. Even the "data" study that IHB did showed that a 3rd car garage had the most value-add for homes (which of course has been ignored by all new home builders today).

All the people during the last crash who just looked at data predicted over 50% drops for Irvine and "ignored" the FCB buyers as a reason why there was better stability than surrounding cities now recognize those FCB "outliers".

Data said there was no way the Fed would create an environment where rates would drop to record lows. Now that "outlier" of a ~3% mortgage is the norm.

Reported record lows in sales volume the last year and a half was suppose to produce measurable price drops... but so far it's only been 1-5% depending on the housing stock? And as I've said, that's on the low end compared to previous drops the last 8 years which have been as high as 15%. I don't remember a lot of discussion about a "slowdown" during 2011 or 2016 and those drops were more than the current one.

Sure, prices are going down again, but... is it seasonal?

:)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts