Fixed Income Focused Discussion

panda

Explore topics regarding muni bonds, treasury bonds, corporate bonds, convertible bonds, interest rate outlook, macroeconomic trends, REITS, and mortgage REITS.

I would like to ask this question to the Irvine audience....

What do you know about long term treasury bonds and AAA Corporate bonds?

Panda

Panda said:

Panda

Would like to answer your question , but it is very broad

If you mean from an individual investor perspective , I would strongly recommend staying away from long maturity / long duration bonds , be they corporate or treasuries . These are best suited for corporate and state pensions (defined benefit) where they need to immunize/ match their long term liabilities .

For an investment horizon that long, you are almost always better off in a broad equity index fund .

I do own municipal bonds  but they are of the More shorter / intermediate variety and used for tax free income generation (esp the CA domiciled ones)

Fortune,
The 10 year treasury yield currently sits at 3.189%. What is the relation between the 10 year treasury yield and long term treasury bonds and AAA Corporate bonds?

fortune11 said:
Panda said:

Panda

Would like to answer your question , but it is very broad

If you mean from an individual investor perspective , I would strongly recommend staying away from long maturity / long duration bonds , be they corporate or treasuries . These are best suited for corporate and state pensions (defined benefit) where they need to immunize/ match their long term liabilities .

For an investment horizon that long, you are almost always better off in a broad equity index fund .

I do own municipal bonds  but they are of the More shorter / intermediate variety and used for tax free income generation (esp the CA domiciled ones)

It is pretty small yield pickup in 30year  treasury from 10y - but I guess you can already see that from google search

Aaa corporate bonds are an endangered species as more and more companies feel comfortable migrating down to A or BBB area .

What exactly are you trying to solve for ? Maybe I can frame my answer better if I know that

Back