Columbus Grove - Ainsley Park Concerns

theterrificfive

Hello all,

We have put an offer on a house in Columbus Grove but just saw on this forum some concerns from a post back in 2013 (https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=3946.0), namely:

"2. 50 feet from highway (open portion of Jamboree with 60MPH limit and 4 or 5 lanes.) - check
3. drainage ditch, open construction and trains - check
4. downwind from waste management transfer site - check
5. downwind from cement site and construction circle - check
8. Remediated hazardous waste site former military base across the road - check
10. Toxic plume disclosure (rumor?) so no planting fruit trees - check"

We want to check to see if any of these concerns are still valid. We Googled all last night and couldn't find anything official on the toxic plume or any potential water/soil contamination. We really love the house and location. The house we are interested in is about 800 ft away from Jamboree. So could you please help answering the following questions:

• Can you hear the traffic from Jamboree?
  • Do you feel like air pollution is an issue due to Jamboree?
  • Do you have any updated information on the toxic plume?
  • Do you have any updated information on contamination of soil/water due to the remediated military base?
  • Anything else worth considering?

We would appreciate any suggestions or information you may provide.

Thank you!

Aquabliss posted this plume map couple months ago
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zcz2p5&s=8#.W-iISJNKiUk

I lived in Columbus Grove for 2 years, about 400-500 feet from Jamboree. The noise was very minimum to us. I think you would be okay at 800 feet.
Never really felt any air pollution issue either.
We really loved it at Columbus Grove. The central location was definitely a huge plus.

theterrificfive said:
Hello all,

We have put an offer on a house in Columbus Grove but just saw on this forum some concerns from a post back in 2013 (https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=3946.0), namely:

"2. 50 feet from highway (open portion of Jamboree with 60MPH limit and 4 or 5 lanes.) - check
3. drainage ditch, open construction and trains - check
4. downwind from waste management transfer site - check
5. downwind from cement site and construction circle - check
8. Remediated hazardous waste site former military base across the road - check
10. Toxic plume disclosure (rumor?) so no planting fruit trees - check"

We want to check to see if any of these concerns are still valid. We Googled all last night and couldn't find anything official on the toxic plume or any potential water/soil contamination. We really love the house and location. The house we are interested in is about 800 ft away from Jamboree. So could you please help answering the following questions:

• Can you hear the traffic from Jamboree?
  • Do you feel like air pollution is an issue due to Jamboree?
  • Do you have any updated information on the toxic plume?
  • Do you have any updated information on contamination of soil/water due to the remediated military base?
  • Anything else worth considering?

We would appreciate any suggestions or information you may provide.

Thank you!

You put an offer in so I assume that you were in the house and yard. Did you hear noise from Jamboree? (I think the Tustin side has more noise than Irvine, but not sure). Ask the neighbors. When we bought our house, we asked people in CG about their experiences and they were pretty friendly and didn't seem to be lying to us.

I've listed 2 condos on the Tustin side of Columbus Grove and from speaking with the owners and neighbors who live in the community that came to my open houses I can tell that people really love living in the neighborhood.  OP, I know the home that you are looking to purchase and I don't think that any of the items that you listed are real concerns. 

I think you can sort of see for yourself if there is a noise by visiting the area. You can also see yourself there is a landfill, freeway, former superfund site, etc. You should make a decision out of what you can see.

But what you CAN'T really see is the TCE toxic soil. The paper might say it's all good now, but I don't know how much we can really trust those. It's not a secret that the old infamous TCE plume line is under Woodbridge area and many portions of Great Park are former superfund site, but where does that really stop being a risky area? How about Woodbridge's nearby areas like West Park or all those East villages right next to Great Park? Some areas of Villages of Columbus are ok to plan the fruit/tree, but it's not ok right next area? Who determines those decisions?

Maybe a time for YellowBelly's spread sheet 3.0?

Back