2018 Migration Trends accelerate as more people look to leave Denver, SF, and LA

panda

Interesting article on the migration trends of 2018, leaving over priced markets like Denver, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. What was interesting is that I can where most of the migration into the Atlanta market is taking place.

Top cities migration into Atlanta.
1. NYC    35.7%
2. DC      8.0%
3. Los Angeles 7.5%
4. Bay Area 5.3%

Source: https://www.redfin.com/blog/2018/10/q3-2018-migration-report.html

2018 Migration Trends accelerate as more people look to leave Denver, San Francisco, and Los Angeles
Written byTim Ellison October 24, 2018

As mortgage rates climb, affordability in the most expensive markets has suffered, driving more people to affordable, low-tax inland job centers in states like Florida, Texas and Tennessee.

In the third quarter of 2018 people continued to move away from high-cost coastal markets like San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., in increasing numbers. Meanwhile, more affordable areas like Sacramento, Atlanta and Phoenix continued to draw thousands of potential new residents. The latest migration analysis is based on a sample of more than 1 million Redfin.com users who searched for homes across 80 metro areas from July through September.

Nationally, 25 percent of Redfin.com home searchers looked to move to another metro area in the third quarter, compared to 22 percent during the same period last year. Affordability continues to be a driving factor causing people to move away from the coasts.

?Rising mortgage rates are exacerbating affordability issues that have been driving people out of expensive coastal metros for the past few years,? said Redfin chief economist Daryl Fairweather. ?With rates no longer near historic lows, buyers are increasingly cost-conscious, seeking more affordable homes in low-tax states in the South and middle of the country.?

Moving Out ? Metros with the Highest Net Outflow of Redfin Users
San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. and Denver posted the highest net outflows in the third quarter. Net outflow is defined as the number of people looking to leave the metro minus the number of people looking to move to the metro. A net outflow means there are more people looking to leave than people looking to move in, while a net inflow means more people are looking to move in than leave.

Apples to apples would be a comparison to historical patterns around similar points in economic expansions (say 05 06)

That would be the ?base rate?

Without that this data is not as meaningful

From what I have observed... I would say the percentage of the out of state relocations into metro Atlanta is quite accurate in the last 10 years.

Top cities migration into Atlanta.
1. NYC    35.7%
2. DC      8.0%
3. Los Angeles 7.5%
4. Bay Area 5.3%

The Bay area tech heavy, is by design. The tech magnet moguls intend to keep it concentrated in the SF and Silicon Valley to keep their wealth afloat and to retain and attract talents. Sure, cheaper housing in desirable, and when you make 300K to be consider middle income in SF. If and when these jobs moves which is not likely then they will have plenty of people line up to get that 200K job and consider to be low income in SF and Silicone Valley. Despite of the wanting to move, they must find jobs first. Maybe change, job and leaving area all together is the answer for some. A lot of young grad still want to have a bigger salary and job market are plentiful in those area. They then end up having to co-living, and some even end up share a dozen room mates in one house. 

Migration is basic Economics:

A huge influx of wealthy immigrants move to California
A huge boom of tech millionaires get created in California
A booming economy and household formation have young adults moving out on their own in California

All combine to dramatically increase demand for housing.
Supply does not increase accordingly

Those with more means or willingness to sacrifice (living far way, having more roommates, etc.) win bids on available housing.

Others that did not have stable housing situations (renters) decide to move away after being outbid.

Housing demand/supply remains relatively in balance as prices increase to convince enough people that would want to live here to move elsewhere.

la.jpg

Appears to me that we are seeing some cooling in the LA housing market. The OC unemployment chart is like a wave. What goes up must come down and what goes down must come up.

unemployment.jpg

Panda said:
la.jpg

Appears to me that we are seeing some cooling in the LA housing market. The OC unemployment chart is like a wave. What goes up must come down and what goes down must come up.

unemployment.jpg

Btw - There is also cooling in Atlanta.
#zilllow

Atlanta metro's population growth from 2010 - 2017 is currently ranked #4 among 383 cities in the United States with a net population growth close to 600k, beating LA's population growth in the same time frame. Consider that Atlanta's population is roughly 5.8M vs Los Angeles's population of 13.3M. The title of the article is 2018 Migration Trends accelerates as more people look to leave over priced cities like Denver, SF, and LA.

Panda said:
Atlanta metro's population growth from 2010 - 2017 is currently ranked #4 among 383 cities in the United States with a net population growth close to 600k, beating LA's population growth in the same time frame. The title of the article is 2018 Migration Trends accelerates as more people look to leave over priced cities like Denver, SF, and LA.

LA is bounded by:
Ocean to the West
Camp Pendleton to the South
Mountains to the North, NorthWest and SouthEast
Desert, Mountains to the East (also gets rapidly hotter)

Atlanta is bounded by:
nothing

There is very little land left to develop in LA that is "only 5 minutes further" out.
Atlanta has virtually unlimited land left to develop like that.

It's not surprising that households are moving from supply constrained locations to affordable, boundless cities.

I just typed in John?s Creek in Zillow and there are active listings and price reductions, many pre-forecloses.  ;D

nashville.jpg

Eyephone, I am not interested in what is going to happen in next two - three month in Atlanta or LA, but I am more interested in what is going to happen in the next 5 - 10 years. Can we kindly agree that Nashville's housing market outperformed both Los Angeles and Irvine's home appreciation from 2010 - 2017? Why was there more growth in the Nashville's housing market vs Los Angeles in the last 7 years?

Stayed in downtown SF (SOMA area) for a week last year for business. It was full of crazy and/or homeless people. People screaming at the top of their lungs at imaginary people. There was a pile of human feces in front of Trader Joes. I had to step over a sleeping homeless guy to get into Starbucks. You couldn't pay me to live in SF.

Happiness said:
Stayed in downtown SF (SOMA area) for a week last year for business. It was full of crazy and/or homeless people. People screaming at the top of their lungs at imaginary people. There was a pile of human feces in front of Trader Joes. I had to step over a sleeping homeless guy to get into Starbucks. You couldn't pay me to live in SF.
Yeah, SF is getting worse and worse. There was even a medical convention that pulled out recently (a board member was assaulted at Moscone Center last year).http://fortune.com/2018/07/02/san-francisco-streets-streets-medical-convention/

population_irvine_forsyth.jpg

IHO, Forsyth County would be a better comparison vs Irvine as Johns Creek is pretty much completely built out with very land to build. The population of Forsyth County is similar but the square meter of the land is 400% larger than Irvine which means that Irvine would be 400% more dense. The new construction and growth is in Forsyth County with low taxes and the best rated schools in Georgia. In South Forsyth, the elementary, middle, and high schools are ranked within the top 5 in the state.

forsyth-irvine.jpg

Back