which DMV to go for early walk in?

heverlee

Hi:

I need to get a realID and have to go to DMV in person. Searched TI with not much recent information.

Just wonder if anyone has any dmv to recommend for walk in? As appointment is 2 months away, I plan to go there early before 8am this week. should I expect to wait until afternoon to get the things done? Friend recommended DMV@San Clemente, how about the ones at laguna nill or Santa Ana?

thanks a lot for insight on any one of them

Laguna Hills but arrive at 7:15a not 8a.  That 45 min will save you 2 hours compared to arriving at 8a.

Walk-ins have always been a pain for me, make an appointment if you can... some are not that far out and you can check each one online I believe.

Although I've not experienced this myself, I've been told by a couple of people that the Costa Mesa DMV is a good place to try. Usually we go to San Clemente as it's run pretty efficiently, but that small office has been swamped lately. Avoid Laguna Hills if possible. Every experience I've had there has been grim.

My .02c

I think it's going to be very difficult to get a useful response since DMV lines vary dramatically throughout the week.  There have also been efficiency changes last few months which would skew data points.  Your best bet is to get an appointment at any of the local DMVs.  I did this and the soonest appointment was at the Westminster DMV (took 2.5 months).  I got my RealID done in 40 minutes (from the time I left my car to when I got back into my car).

I went to San Clemente. walked in about 10:30 and was out by noon. I noticed there were few people ileft line by 11:30.

I don't like people. I would rather spend 25 minutes alone in my car than 2 hours in a crowded waiting room (or in the case of Laguna Hills a long line in the hot sun). Plus I needed to be in San Diego later in the afternoon.

mads said:
Recommend the DMV at Costa Mesa, been there, best thing is that its Open on Saturdays :)
I don't recommend Costa Mesa on a Saturday.  Saturday Costa Mesa DMV was an 8 hour wait last month when I got there at 7am. 

Maybe if you show up at 6am.  Be sure to bring a camping chair.

Hmm, 8 hr wait! ouch. I went there twice in the past year, both times were walk-in on Saturday afternoons, and was out in less than 2 hours. Was 'lucky', I guess.

Sounds like this DMV system needs some serious re-work and upgrades for more convenience. Waiting 8 or even 2 hours for the residents should NOT be happening in the best leading country of the world. Ya'll feel me on this one?

#MAGA

Worse is leaving in an ambulance or police car, after waiting hours in line.

2 different elderly ladies passed out in line and had to leave in ambulances (incidents were about an hour apart).  One of them was in front of me.  She begged the medics not to take her away as she already spent so much time in line, but they took her.
1 lady just snapped and went crazy and had to leave in a police car.  She didn't even snap about anyone in line or even the DMV.  She just snapped and went crazy while in line.

I just came from the Laguna Hills DMV right now. Same as you, O.P. Needed to renew my DL. Could have renewed by mail / online. But decided to bite the bullet & go in for a federally compliant Real ID. In & out in 90 min. Walk-in. It was the shortest wait of the 3 closest locations.

SoCal said:
I just came from the Laguna Hills DMV right now. Same as you, O.P. Needed to renew my DL. Could have renewed by mail / online. But decided to bite the bullet & go in for a federally compliant Real ID. In & out in 90 min. Walk-in. It was the shortest wait of the 3 closest locations.

Welcome back!

Happiness said:
SoCal said:

Welcome back!

YF?

Back