Attached SFR Homes

Mety

I've seen some of Single Family Residential homes that are ATTACHED. What the heck are those? I've seen some in Aliso Viejo and even in Irvine from Northwood Point, Woodbridge and University Park. Isn't SFR supposed to be detached with a full driveway?

One example that's on a market currently:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/2-Mandrake-Way-92612/home/4701086

Anybody bought such homes? Any idea why they are not called a condo?

These are Planned Unit Developments (PUD's). Their ownership is similar to a SFR (land and airspace) versus a Condominium ownership (percentage ownership in common features and buildings etc)

There are attached SFR's - in this case a PUD - and detached SFR's. There can be detached Condos as well as attached Condos - condos not a matter of the design, but the rules of ownership.  As an FYI a "Townhouse" is a building style, not a type of ownership.

There are rare Co-ops as compared to New York where Co-Op ownership is more common. In California Co-Op condos were called "Own Your Own" and there are a few around still, mostly in Laguna Beach and Long Beach.

My .02c

There are tons of paired/attached SFRs in Orange County.

As SGIP said, an SFR isn't defined by attached/detached, driveway, backyard, etc... it's basically land ownership (ie lot line).

That was one of the reasons why I'm against Delano. :)

irvinehomeowner said:

As SGIP said, an SFR isn't defined by attached/detached, driveway, backyard, etc... it's basically land ownership (ie lot line).

Why buy Delano when you can buy SFR with the same price? Just make sure you clean all the asbestos and termites.

But I wanted to ask does owning the land that important? I personally would just buy a detached condo/townhouse, but do you prefer to own the land underneath which you might move out in 5-10 years anyways?

Man, that home with Redfin link I provided at first already went escrow in 6 days.
Any home you guys wanna sell? Let me know and I will drop a link here and get it to the HOT HOME status, make it PENDING in no time.

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Why buy Delano when you can buy SFR with the same price? Just make sure you clean all the asbestos and termites.

But I wanted to ask does owning the land that important? I personally would just buy a detached condo/townhouse, but do you prefer to own the land underneath which you might move out in 5-10 years anyways?

Sorry... I missed this question.

I actually was debating this back when we were close to buying a detached condo in Quail Hill.

I think because it was instilled in us that it's better to own the land in case you ever need to rebuild or whatever. Each home we've bought, we were not thinking we would only be there "5-10 years"... in fact the last 2 homes we bought was with the intent that would be our last home... do you really think we wanted to reset the mortgage until we were retired?

Maybe other people can chime in on if it's better to own the land or if that even matters today.

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Sorry... I missed this question.

I actually was debating this back when we were close to buying a detached condo in Quail Hill.

I think because it was instilled in us that it's better to own the land in case you ever need to rebuild or whatever. Each home we've bought, we were not thinking we would only be there "5-10 years"... in fact the last 2 homes we bought was with the intent that would be our last home... do you really think we wanted to reset the mortgage until we were retired?

Maybe other people can chime in on if it's better to own the land or if that even matters today.

I?m on my third last home ;D

Soylent Green Is People said:
These are Planned Unit Developments (PUD's). Their ownership is similar to a SFR (land and airspace) versus a Condominium ownership (percentage ownership in common features and buildings etc)

There are attached SFR's - in this case a PUD - and detached SFR's. There can be detached Condos as well as attached Condos - condos not a matter of the design, but the rules of ownership.  As an FYI a "Townhouse" is a building style, not a type of ownership.

There are rare Co-ops as compared to New York where Co-Op ownership is more common. In California Co-Op condos were called "Own Your Own" and there are a few around still, mostly in Laguna Beach and Long Beach.

My .02c

Reading this again, don?t you own the land for townhouses? Isn?t that how it?s difference from the condo? I thought you had to take care of the roof and stucco paint outside yourself for townhouses. Or are Irvine townhouses different?

A townhome is more about having no neighbors living above/below. It could be a condo or a PUD. Am a townhome dweller that has a condo style ownership. HOA takes care of the exteriors.

mads said:
A townhome is more about having no neighbors living above/below. It could be a condo or a PUD. Am a townhome dweller that has a condo style ownership. HOA takes care of the exteriors.

Maybe Irvine is a little different. Google says the townhome owners own the land and everything like the SFR, but just share a common wall/walls. Also it says the HOA fees are less, but that?s not the case in Irvine either.

Back