So called two-car garages

Amggts

More of the new home have ?two car? garages that really don?t accommodate two average compact cars.  What is everyone?s thoughts on the value of such neighborhoods?  Seems to me lots of cars parked on driveway and street would be unattractive to buyers and therefore value or long term appreciation.

Thought?

While the that may be the interior measurements, the actual opening is all cases are narrower.  In some newer homes, it?s more than 3 feet narrower. 

Most doors are ~16' (192 inches) wide.  A Toyota Tundra is 80 inches wide.  In theory you should be able to pull 2 Tundras into a 20' wide garage via a 16' wide door.  Even a 14' wide door would allow parking the trucks, though you might only be able to exit out the sides nearest the walls. 

The length too should be fine for any compact car, assuming the builder didn't steal some area for the water heater or some other silly design aftethought.  The shortest Tundra made would also fit, though the longest optioned one would not.

On detached properties, there?s also that side door that swings inwards, cuts into parking space unless ok with (house) door dings

Amggts said:
More of the new home have ?two car? garages that really don?t accommodate two average compact cars.  What is everyone?s thoughts on the value of such neighborhoods?  Seems to me lots of cars parked on driveway and street would be unattractive to buyers and therefore value or long term appreciation.

Thought?

Which new home is like that? Any 2CG should fit 2 compact cars fine.
For people parking on driveway and streets, I don't really see the village value depreciation because of that fact alone. If the driveway has Ferrari parked, it will make the village value go up. On the serious note, I would carefully observe more on how wide or small the streets are rather than how many cars are parked. I believe that will have more value factor.

qwerty said:
Nothing like having a 3 car garage :)

If you had a choice though...would you rather have a 2 car garage with an extra bedroom/bathroom or a 3 car garage?

IMO what's worse is SFR's built without full sized drive-way's.  Many people use the garage for storage and park their cars on the drive way, so when you take away the driveway they end up parking on the street or HOA guest parking spots.

I lived in Oak Park (Oak Creek) condo for few years with tandem 2 car garage and no driveway.  I guess for a 1 bedroom condo the arrangement is somewhat acceptable, plus the garage was actually pretty long and can accommodate 2.5 car lengths or 3 subcompact cars.  Using the front area for storage, I was still able to park 2 cars inside.

Currently I live in a SFR with detached 2 car garage plus long driveway that can accommodate 4 cars.  We never park the cars in the garage, and the garage is basically laundry / storage / gym.

Cares said:
qwerty said:
Nothing like having a 3 car garage :)

If you had a choice though...would you rather have a 2 car garage with an extra bedroom/bathroom or a 3 car garage?

Definitely 3 car garage. Already have four bedrooms, each with it?s own bath plus a loft. So don?t need the fifth bedroom. If I needed the fifth bedroom I would need a four car garage :)

Back