Cul-de-sac Homes.

irvinebullhousing

How many of you on here either live in one or use to live in one or know someone that owned one, what is the real benefits and what is the con? Less traffic, but that also mean people can know everything about you, is that true good/bad? I lived in Irvine for along time but I have never purchased in the cul-de-sac location.

I grew up on at the end of cul-de-sac and it's super nice because of the traffic issue. My friends and I would play all over the street and not really worry about cars. We setup hockey nets and played street hockey all the time, road our bikes all over, played flag football, etc. There definitely is a huge benefit if you have kids. Less to worry about because you can "isolate" them without worry that they will run out and get hit by a car.

^Yeah what he said.  I grew up on one and had similar experiences.  The street was a football field, my neighbor across from me had a basketball hoop on the garage roof, and the end of the cul-de-sac was our baseball (whiffleball) diamond.   

What do you mean "people can know everything about you"?  From a security standpoint it's also better, as any car coming down the street is more apt to be noticed, and residents for the most part recognize each other and each others' cars.

My current house is not on a cul-de-sac, but it's a short street with a T at both ends, so it's the next best thing.  No one comes through here unless they live on this street, as it's not a shortcut for anyone.

daedalus said:
^Yeah what he said.  I grew up on one and had similar experiences.  The street was a football field, my neighbor across from me had a basketball hoop on the garage roof, and the end of the cul-de-sac was our baseball (whiffleball) diamond.   

What do you mean "people can know everything about you"?  From a security standpoint it's also better, as any car coming down the street is more apt to be noticed, and residents for the most part recognize each other and each others' cars.

My current house is not on a cul-de-sac, but it's a short street with a T at both ends, so it's the next best thing.  No one comes through here unless they live on this street, as it's not a shortcut for anyone.

Always a good thing when neighbors watch out for one and another. It better than Ring door bell for sure. But if you have a nosy, all up in your business neighbor, then I guess that could be bad. Especially if you are 1 of the few houses on the cul de sac, then your constantly run into each other and awkward.

Compressed-Village said:
Always a good thing when neighbors watch out for one and another. It better than Ring door bell for sure. But if you have a nosy, all up in your business neighbor, then I guess that could be bad. Especially if you are 1 of the few houses on the cul de sac, then your constantly run into each other and awkward.
I grew up in the 70s and 80s.  We were all nosy back then.  But we called it being sociable.  Want to know who their new house guest is, or what your neighbor is building in his garage?  Just go over and chat!  When I was little and wanted to play with my friend, I would run around to the back of his house, cup my hands over the rear glass sliding door and peer into the family's living room.  So many of us would be mortified if children did that today. 

Heh... every home other than our first and current have been on a cul de sac.

As everyone said, it's great... but it also depends how the cul de sac is located. Many times because it's on the edge of a tract, it may actually back a busy outer road. It's nice if the cul de sac is either siding nothing or just another cul de sac (like in Quail Hill).

Not sure about the "everyone knowing about you" because that's street dependent, in one home, I only knew 1 of my 3 closest neighbors, in another I new zero, and in another I knew everyone on the whole street. So YMMV.

And as daedalus said, there are non cul de sac streets that you can still play football or whatever on because the layout makes it low traffic. We had a street party at our one home that was not on a cul de sac and we just had cones out so the cars would go around.

With the same house same floor plan and similar lot size, the cul de sac home should sell for higher price because of location?

I can see the benefits of cul de sac, although I prefer corner lot location and back to either a park
or no one behind would be ideal.

Back