Landscaping cost

HCM

I have been interviewing landscapers about my front and back yard (5,000 sq. ft lot with a 4,000+ sq. ft house on it, so basically not much yard though likely a tad bigger than typical Irvine new builds).  Received a quote for $60k to plant some planters, install tile over concrete, and build a water wall -- but that estimate does not include ANY materials, i.e., I would need to separately purchase the tiles, plants, trees, etc. 

I've never dealt with a new build before so I don't have much context but this sounds extremely expensive considering this is 60k for basically just some yard labor?  What have others been paying for landscaping and typically do homeowners have to provide the materials separately?

HCM said:
I have been interviewing landscapers about my front and back yard (5,000 sq. ft lot with a 4,000+ sq. ft house on it, so basically not much yard though likely a tad bigger than typical Irvine new builds).  Received a quote for $60k to plant some planters, install tile over concrete, and build a water wall -- but that estimate does not include ANY materials, i.e., I would need to separately purchase the tiles, plants, trees, etc. 

I've never dealt with a new build before so I don't have much context but this sounds extremely expensive considering this is 60k for basically just some yard labor?  What have others been paying for landscaping and typically do homeowners have to provide the materials separately?

That sounds insanely high. Put 'em on blast. Who is this?

Well, to be fair, the price does include the cost for artificial turf, two planters, and 30 LED lights.  But still, seems high considering I'd still have to go get all tiles and plants.  And they charge a planting cost per plant, e.g., $125 for a 24" box, $30 for 15 gallon plant. 

I would prefer not to say who the vendor is because it's someone's livelihood but I am having major sticker shock.

Prepare to be annoyed while getting multiple estimates. Some won't even return your calls. Some will make appointments, and just not even show. I even had a guy show up, spend a ton of time talking about options, even showing me a neighbor's yard he was doing, only to never send an estimate.

I've only heard positive experiences with two companies:

Sea Breeze Landscaping
Jefferson Rand Landscaping

Here's what you do, find a friend that lives in some old house on a similar sized lot in the inland empire.  Use his house to meet and interview landscapers and give them apples-to-apples description of what you want to do in your yard. 

After they give you their price in writing (which will be 30% less than the Irvine price), tell them you accept their bid but want them to build the same thing in Irvine.

@irvinehomeowner, yes we anticipated spending in the 5 figure range.  However, we thought total cost would be about $50k for time and materials.  If the consensus is that landscapers charge an Irvine premium, then maybe I can do some heavy negotiating to get to a reasonable premium.  Now I see why so many people in the neighborhood have been using cheap Asian-based landscapers that provide what looks like non-HOA approved generic jobs.

$60k for what you described seems high.  I think $50k including materials is what sounds right based on my experience.  It's also odd that the contractor doesn't include materials - does he except you to go purchase and get them to the house yourself?  I would keep looking...

Yes, when I received the estimate it lists the cost for planting based on plant size & then indicates that I can purchase plants on some website that presumably would deliver all plants to my house directly.  However, I feel like a landscaper would be in the best position to know how many of x plants I would need to cover a particular area.  If I knew how to plan all of this, I'd just hire someone to do the hardscape for me and then bring in cheap labor to put in the plants. 

I have thus far interviewed 3 landscapers.  This is the first estimate to come in.  I'm hoping one of the others will come in at a better price and for greater scope of work.  And here I had thought that dealing with the developer was bad enough.  Sigh.

HCM said:
Yes, when I received the estimate it lists the cost for planting based on plant size & then indicates that I can purchase plants on some website that presumably would deliver all plants to my house directly.  However, I feel like a landscaper would be in the best position to know how many of x plants I would need to cover a particular area.  If I knew how to plan all of this, I'd just hire someone to do the hardscape for me and then bring in cheap labor to put in the plants. 

I have thus far interviewed 3 landscapers.  This is the first estimate to come in.  I'm hoping one of the others will come in at a better price and for greater scope of work.  And here I had thought that dealing with the developer was bad enough.  Sigh.

Least fun part of new home ownership for sure. The headache doesn?t end after you pick one :) Good luck!

bones said:
$60k for what you described seems high.  I think $50k including materials is what sounds right based on my experience.  It's also odd that the contractor doesn't include materials - does he except you to go purchase and get them to the house yourself?  I would keep looking...
Paris will disagree *(where is she bye the way/)  If OP bought a 4,000 sq ft house in Irvine, the price is greater than 1.5 million, now don't skimp on landscape, it has be atleast $100K to be neighborhood worthy.

From memory, landscaping for Capella houses with tiny lots were more than $40k

60k for what you're getting is very high. My house is very similar in size to yours (3900 sqft on 5100 lot)

We built a salt water pool, spa, water feature, concrete deck, landscaping for 70k. All the materials were provided except the plants. I had to buy them myself at additional cost.

Kenkoko said:
60k for what you're getting is very high. My house is very similar in size to yours (3900 sqft on 5100 lot)

We built a salt water pool, spa, water feature, concrete deck, landscaping for 70k. All the materials were provided except the plants. I had to buy them myself at additional cost.

Hi Kenkoko, were you happy with the work done?  And if so, could you please provide your landscaper's name and contact info?  The scope of work included in my estimate is: outdoor tiling, pergola for dining area, water feature, some artificial turf, and some drought tolerant plants/florals.  Nothing too crazy or fancy, trying to keep an overall somewhat modern look.  Thanks!

HCM said:
Hi Kenkoko, were you happy with the work done?  And if so, could you please provide your landscaper's name and contact info?  The scope of work included in my estimate is: outdoor tiling, pergola for dining area, water feature, some artificial turf, and some drought tolerant plants/florals.  Nothing too crazy or fancy, trying to keep an overall somewhat modern look.  Thanks!

Sure, I used Swam pools and Landscaping. See yelp link below. ( Not sure why they have 2 yelps)https://www.yelp.com/biz/swan-pools-lake-forest?osq=Swan+Poolshttps://www.yelp.com/biz/swan-pools-and-landscaping-lake-forest?osq=Swan+Pools

I am quite happy with the work done. They have a great designer who helped us a lot with design and gave us a drawing before starting the job at no extra cost.
They also honored their warranty and came to fix LED lights in the pool last month (more than 2 years after completion)
If you want to see some pictures, feel free to PM me.
The only small nitpick is the concrete fading/discoloration. They did tell me ahead of time but i was not expecting that much fading.

Unfortunately, your location and house value affects the bid. 

It's both rational and appropriate and total gouging you at the same time.

Kenkoko said:
My house is very similar in size to yours (3900 sqft on 5100 lot)

Impressive, you were able to fit a pool, water feature, and concrete deck in a 5,100 sq ft lot with a 3,900 sq ft house?  And all for $70K.  Wow.

So for most of the developments these day landscape should be about $40k or less?

Irvine Dream said:
Impressive, you were able to fit a pool, water feature, and concrete deck in a 5,100 sq ft lot with a 3,900 sq ft house?  And all for $70K.  Wow.
Thanks! It's a small backyard 55 x 19 and a very small pool 27x8. I really regret not making the pool longer. It feels like swimming in a fish tank. I should have made it 8 to 10 feet longer by forging the outdoor dining area which looks great but I never use.  :'(

We were trying to keep the cost to below 75k. Swan Pools was the only company we found that had a computerized price quote system which instantly adjusted the price for every single change. It made it much easier to decide where to cutback and where to spend to get the most bang for the buck. We initially did not want a water feature. But we played with Swan's system and found out that we could make our pool 1 foot shallower, saving a few thousand dollars, and use that money for a small water feature.

Irvine Dream said:
bones said:
Paris will disagree *(where is she bye the way/)  If OP bought a 4,000 sq ft house in Irvine, the price is greater than 1.5 million, now don't skimp on landscape, it has be atleast $100K to be neighborhood worthy.

From memory, landscaping for Capella houses with tiny lots were more than $40k

We spent $25k for landscaping including all materials and I'm very happy with the quality of work.

Back