Which part of Irvine to move to - part II - under a million dollars

mikebruin

So for some us with smaller budgets who still aspire to live in the great community of Irvine, where would you be looking for homes if your budget was under a million dollars?

I think older parts of Irvine offer more bang for buck in terms of $/sq ft (Woodbridge, West Irvine, etc.), but one of my concerns is that perhaps there are not as many young children in those neighborhoods.  Original buyers may still be living there with their kids all grown and gone.

Compare and contrast that with Cypress Village, Woodbury and Stonegate, where the homes may be more recent builds and there are tons of small children (if Woodbury Town Center is any indication).

Maybe Portola offers a good compromise, good value and newer neighborhood, though there is the plume to consider.

undecided said:
So for some us with smaller budgets who still aspire to live in the great community of Irvine, where would you be looking for homes if your budget was under a million dollars?

I think older parts of Irvine offer more bang for buck in terms of $/sq ft (Woodbridge, West Irvine, etc.), but one of my concerns is that perhaps there are not as many young children in those neighborhoods.  Original buyers may still be living there with their kids all grown and gone.

Compare and contrast that with Cypress Village, Woodbury and Stonegate, where the homes may be more recent builds and there are tons of small children (if Woodbury Town Center is any indication).

Maybe Portola offers a good compromise, good value and newer neighborhood, though there is the plume to consider.

What's your thinking re: lots of young kids?  Just because there are lot of young kids doesn't mean the neighborhood is vibrant, lively, or easy to make neighborhood kid friends.  I think a lot of it is more street/block dependent versus whole neighborhoods.

undecided said:

plume as in this one?
https://www.irwd.com/images/pdf/construction/El%20Toro%20GW%20Remediaton%20Map%202.2012.pdf

it's under woodbridge

bones said:
undecided said:

What's your thinking re: lots of young kids?  Just because there are lot of young kids doesn't mean the neighborhood is vibrant, lively, or easy to make neighborhood kid friends.  I think a lot of it is more street/block dependent versus whole neighborhoods.

You make a good point.  A lot of it is dependent on your direct neighbors.  Maybe it makes more sense to ask them their thoughts of their own neighborhood.

AW said:
undecided said:

plume as in this one?
https://www.irwd.com/images/pdf/construction/El%20Toro%20GW%20Remediaton%20Map%202.2012.pdf

it's under woodbridge

Thanks for educating me.  I had no idea it extended to Woodbridge.  I thought it was just Great Parks / Portola.

undecided said:
AW said:
undecided said:

plume as in this one?

it's under woodbridge

Thanks for educating me.  I had no idea it extended to Woodbridge.  I thought it was just Great Parks / Portola.
I remember somewhere that the topography is such that north of the plume is sloped to higher elevation, meaning the groundwater is unlikely to travel up to cypress, woodbury, portola, and even the GP homes

Cypress Village East still has detached condos going for right around sub-$1M. Homes are slated to be completed late 2018 or early 2019. Really low MR and average HOA compared to most of Irvine.

I would consider Portola Springs due to the fact its growing, two new schools, community centers, lots of young families, and very positive community like vibe. I walk daily, and can see very familiar faces doing jogging and running in the mountains with their kids and dogs. Cant beat it.

All other parts of Irvine are equally good. Above is my own opinion based on living here for more than 6 years.

the.irvine said:
I would consider Portola Springs due to the fact its growing, two new schools, community centers, lots of young families, and very positive community like vibe. I walk daily, and can see very familiar faces doing jogging and running in the mountains with their kids and dogs. Cant beat it.

All other parts of Irvine are equally good. Above is my own opinion based on living here for more than 6 years.

I was debating between Legado (PS) and Trellis (CV) and ultimately the distance to the freeway was the deciding factor. My friends that live up in PS say it can take 10-15 minutes to get to the freeway if you don't want to take the toll. Pretty easy decision for me factoring in my already long-ish commute.

Cares said:
the.irvine said:

I was debating between Legado (PS) and Trellis (CV) and ultimately the distance to the freeway was the deciding factor. My friends that live up in PS say it can take 10-15 minutes to get to the freeway if you don't want to take the toll. Pretty easy decision for me factoring in my already long-ish commute.

Same decision tree here as well.  Final communities were Legado and Trellis, and we with Trellis due to location, low MR, and future rental demand (due to close proximity to fwys, GP, and Base Camp)

id_rather_be_racing said:
Cares said:
the.irvine said:

Same decision tree here as well.  Final communities were Legado and Trellis, and we with Trellis due to location, low MR, and future rental demand (due to close proximity to fwys, GP, and Base Camp)

Nice are you already in Trellis? My home is slated for late 2018 or early 2019.

I decided on a home in PS. We considered Trellis Court but it was too close to the 133 and the 5 and we have a young toddler. I remember hearing a lecture at USC on the effects of living near a freeway has on young lungs.

Found an article about the study:http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/26/science/sci-lungs26

"Gauderman and his colleagues found that by their 18th birthday, children who lived within 500 yards of a freeway had a 3% deficit in the amount of air they could exhale and a 7% deficit in the rate at which it could be exhaled compared with children who lived at least 1,500 yards, or nearly a mile, from a freeway."

I admit it's a bit far from the freeway but we'd rather spend the extra time to drive than risk my child's health.

SenorIrvine said:
I decided on a home in PS. We considered Trellis Court but it was too close to the 133 and the 5 and we have a young toddler. I remember hearing a lecture at USC on the effects of living near a freeway has on young lungs.

Found an article about the study:http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/26/science/sci-lungs26

"Gauderman and his colleagues found that by their 18th birthday, children who lived within 500 yards of a freeway had a 3% deficit in the amount of air they could exhale and a 7% deficit in the rate at which it could be exhaled compared with children who lived at least 1,500 yards, or nearly a mile, from a freeway."

I admit it's a bit far from the freeway but we'd rather spend the extra time to drive than risk my child's health.

It's a toll road that goes "underground" at the point which is butts up against Trellis. I think the research is more talking about heavy used freeways like living right next to the 5 or something like that.

irvinehomeowner said:
I agree. And still quite a few kids in QH.

But what if you only wanted brand new?

That's actually a tough one for me. There's nothing brand new now under 1 mil that I would buy with my own money.

Cares said:
SenorIrvine said:

It's a toll road that goes "underground" at the point which is butts up against Trellis. I think the research is more talking about heavy used freeways like living right next to the 5 or something like that.

It's not really "underground". The 133 is lowered slightly but that doesn't mean it's safer. One of the freeways in the study is in Riverside where it's also lowered from the levels of the homes. Also the close proximity to the 5 freeway from Trellis Court was concerning - they're about a half a mile from the 5. Children in homes 1 mile or more away have higher lung capacities by age 18 than children who grew up closer than a mile.

Don't live next to a freeway. It will shorten your life and cause long term health issues for your children. I've posted about this danger ad nauseam since 2014.

Many new home buyers don't seem to care about the hidden dangers of pollution. Cypress Village is selling well and sits directly next to the 5. GP is on a former toxic dump and it is still selling.

iacrenter said:
Should Irvine be warning residents about the danger of air pollution near freeways?

A new LA Times article discusses LA's struggle to balance housing development and public health.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-freeway-pollution-warnings-20170804-story.html

iacrenter said:
The LA Times just posted a nice expose on air pollution and living near freeways. The evidence is compelling. Don't risk your kids future for convenience to the freeway.
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-freeway-pollution/

I posted about this issue back in 2014 regarding the danger of living close to freeways:

iacrenter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So I glean two things from test's "not-an-answer":

1. She doesn't live in Newport like she claimed.
2. She is deaf.

What I glean from this is that Test doesn't give a shit about you or your child's health. All she wants to do is make a buck for her company in CV.

The evidence is compelling. If you live within close proximity to a busy roadway like the I5 it is bad for your health.

Children's Health Study shows increased risk of respiratory diseasehttp://hydra.usc.edu/scehsc/about-studies-childrens.html

UCLA study found freeway air pollution travels as far as 1.5 mileshttp://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/air-pollution-from-freeway-extends-93857

Government Agrees to start monitoring freeway air pollution due to health riskshttp://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-freeway-pollution-20130826-story.html

We talked about living near freeways 6 years ago.
Conclusion: don't if you can help it.
Optimal Solution: move to buttfuck nowhere.
Perhaps 1 reason why the africans can run much further & faster than their industrialized counterparts.

zubs said:
We talked about living near freeways 6 years ago.
Conclusion: don't if you can help it.
Optimal Solution: move to buttfuck nowhere.
Perhaps 1 reason why the africans can run much further & faster than their industrialized counterparts.

Ha ha buttfuck nowhere. No need to run, we take our cars everywhere :)

Back