Which part of Irvine to move to?

johnstah

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Irvine from Boston, MA early next year and I was wondering which part of Irvine is ideal to live and be away from the El Toro contamination? I did read online and it is scaring me. There are new development being built near the areas that was contaminated. Did they ever fully finish cleaning? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Where's BTB when you need him.

#villagewars

John what is your budget?  I would suggest Orchard Hills or Laguna Altura if it fits, both of those are pretty far away from the plume.

aquabliss said:

#villagewars

John what is your budget?  I would suggest Orchard Hills or Laguna Altura if it fits, both of those are pretty far away from the plume.

Thank you for the reply! I will check these 2 areas out. My budget is under 2m if possible.

Well if you're worried about El Toro contamination, you really should only think about central and south Irvine.

For new homes, not much available other than Los Olivos. For resale, you can do the Turtles, University Park, Quail Hill.

johnstah said:
aquabliss said:

#villagewars

Thank you for the reply! I will check these 2 areas out. My budget is under 2m if possible.

With that budget, I would go to Newport. Why come to where the TCE toxic and the biggest OC landfill are nearby? Oh and welcome back, YF!

Please forgive me if you don't know what I'm talking about.

irvinehomeowner said:
Well if you're worried about El Toro contamination, you really should only think about central and south Irvine.

For new homes, not much available other than Los Olivos. For resale, you can do the Turtles, University Park, Quail Hill.

Thank you! I will check out South Irvine!

eyephone said:
How about rent?
To see if you like the area.

Yes I plan to rent first for a year before committing to a property. I plan to find rental properties most likely from South Irvine if possible and explore the area. I did live in LA county (Pasadena) for 11 months before but never got a chance to really explore Irvine in OC besides the spectrum center.

irvinehomeowner said:

Central Irvine??  The plume is sitting right underneath Woodbridge Lake.

WTTCHMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Central Irvine??  The plume is sitting right underneath Woodbridge Lake.

Which is why I didn't include Woodbridge in my list.

But there are parts of central that are far from the plume.

After renting a year, if you still like Irvine, buy in Laguna Altura. Get one that has the driveway and no one infront/behind you.

eyephone said:
How about rent?
To see if you like the area.

+1  This is great advice for anyone coming from out of town who isn't familiar with Irvine.  Think of renting as a cheap preview of the neighborhood that you want to buy in. 

OP, feel free to ping me if I can help you find a good rental.

OP - if I was in your shoes , commute times would be a major factor in my consideration . Traffic has become a lot worse with all the new construction .  Where is your work location ?  If it is not an issue then you have a lot more flexibility in choosing .

aquabliss said:
Compressed-Village said:
If one?s works from home, where would buy? Where would you wanna live? This is for everyone to answer and voice your dream location.

Pshhhh right here man:https://www.redfin.com/HI/Koloa/3047-Kahalawai-St-96756/home/88640417

But of course, that is mind blowing, house and the location. Let me be a little bit more restrictive, it has to be attainable with your budget. What I mean is if I sell my 1.75 million house in Irvine, and have any choice to live any where because I work from home where would that be?

aquabliss said:
Compressed-Village said:
If one?s works from home, where would buy? Where would you wanna live? This is for everyone to answer and voice your dream location.

Pshhhh right here man:https://www.redfin.com/HI/Koloa/3047-Kahalawai-St-96756/home/88640417

Haha. I love Hawaii. But I?m not sure I could live there full time especially on a sleepy island like Kauai. 

It?s like living in the hills of Laguna Beach. The views are amazing but the day to day inconvenience would drive me mad!

bones said:
aquabliss said:
Compressed-Village said:

Haha. I love Hawaii. But I?m not sure I could live there full time especially on a sleepy island like Kauai. 

It?s like living in the hills of Laguna Beach. The views are amazing but the day to day inconvenience would drive me mad!

This is exactly where I am getting at. While I do sometimes complain and rants about the taxes and mello roos high, if I sell my house today, I am not sure where I can live outside of Irvine. You can call me narrow minded. And I won't be upset.

Wouldn't you say Laguna Altura is a good location, having a close access to freeways and being closer to the beach with a cooler weather?

I also like University Park for the location and their floor plans, but they are kind of too old, need to fix a lot overall.

West Park is good except you want to avoid being too close to the freeways and the huge power lines.

I also like Quail Hill. But they too are too close to the huge power lines for those houses on the hill top.

Woodbury is a pretty good location with the town center nearby and also being a pretty new community with well managed curb appeals, but it's hard to find the good floor plans.

Cypress Village, Stonegate and Eastwood are almost the same. They are the newest and freshest towns, but the homes are all the same.

Portola Springs will be the best bang for you buck. Almost $100k cheaper than CV, SG, and EW. But it's far and hot.

Back