iPhone screen sizes

DrTravel

With the new iPhones coming out in a few weeks thought I would look at the screen sizes. My primary consideration is how a HD video (16:9 aspect ratio) would appear on the phone in landscape position as this is how most people watch.

4.09? x 2.30? (4.69? diagonal) for the iPhone 8
4.79? x 2.69? (5.49?) for the 8+
5.31? x 2.45? (5.85?) for the X
For the X the HD video would be 4.36? x 2.45? with about half an inch of black space on each side. So even though the X has a bigger screen than the 8+ the HD video is considerably smaller.

For the new phones
5.31? x 2.45? (5.85? diagonal) 4.36? x 2.45? HD video for the XS
5.90? x 2.72? (6.50?) 4.83? x 2.72? for the XS+
5.53? x 2.55? (6.09?) 4.53? x 2.55? for the 11
The XS+ will be about the same size as the old 8+ while the 11 (not sure about the name but it?s the 8 replacement) will be between the 8 and 8+ in size. Apple will be advertising the 6.1? screen size which makes it appear much larger than the 8+ but for HD videos it isn?t. Also the actual size of the 11 will be smaller than the 8+ which I like because I still think the 8+ is too big.

I would go for the X or X plus just for OLED. Apple LCD technology has improved but why not get the best screen. Between X and X plus will come down to personal preference in terms of screen size versus body size.

I already spent a lot of $$$ on the X and none of the rumors sound like a compelling reason for me to upgrade this year. I like the body size and screen of the X without the girth of the plus models.  I've been very happy with the X but I might take a closer look at the series 4 watch.

irvinehomeowner said:
I just wish they would put the headphone jack back.

Thinking about getting a refurbished 6s plus instead. :)

Let me know where you want me to drop off the envelope so you can get the new big iPhone X :)

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I just wish they would put the headphone jack back.

Thinking about getting a refurbished 6s plus instead. :)

Let me know where you want me to drop off the envelope so you can get the new big iPhone X :)

I?ll be the courier for IHO.  Irvine Spectrum parking structure near the theatres.  Level 3 there is an ashtray by the elevators north side.  I?ve carved out a 1/4? slot at the 38 degree point when the tray is facing south.  Drop the envelope in the slot, then proceed to take the West most elevator to the top floor, the press all the buttons on the way down, then on the way back up to level 3. Proceed to CPK hostess booth and make an X with your forearms at the podium while your in view of the cameras.  These sequence of events will trigger an automatic text that signals me to pick up the envelope.

Soylent Red has a 6+ and won't trade up. Likes the phone as is. Soylent Blue and Yellow both have 7's. The "newer/better" argument just hasn't caught on with them/  I'm convinced even with bigger screen sizes Apple has reached a saturation point. Something unique needs to come along and drive higher volumes above replacement only levels.

Curious if they made a basic Nokia type phone if it would sell - texting and cameras only, for the parents who want to limit kids screen time. Just thinking out loud here.

FYI Anyone with an 8? Take a look:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/31/17807420/apple-iphone-8-logic-board-repair-program-defective-replacement

If you like to take photos and videos with your iphone, the newer models may have improved camera and video recording capability.  Other than that I'm iffy on buying phones with ever larger screen sizes.  Though upcoming phones with folding screen would keep it more compact in size (when folded).

I dislike watching videos on the phone and would much rather use TV or iPad.  I tried to watch all 120 episodes of Lovers in Bloom (The Rose of Sharon Has Bloomed) on my phone via youtube and it was just too painful.  Ended up going back to using the TV at home.

(All 120 episodes of Lovers in Bloom are avail on Youtube free with subtitles.  I like the main female actress Im Soo-hyang who is currently starring in "Gangnam Beauty", avail on Dramafever).

Compressed-Village said:
Sticking to my 6 S plus. Nice all around. Cheaper too.

The 6S Plus is a nice phone but the body size was just too big for me. I could never fit that thing comfortably in my pocket. The X strikes a nice balance with screen and body size. I still miss my iPhone 4. Loved that small feel and solid construction, metal band, and glass back.

iacrenter said:
The 6S Plus is a nice phone but the body size was just too big for me. I could never fit that thing comfortably in my pocket. The X strikes a nice balance with screen and body size. I still miss my iPhone 4. Loved that small feel and solid construction, metal band, and glass back.
The SE is basically the 6 but with the size of the 4.  I use that.

People have mocked me for having a smaller phone.  If I need something bigger, I can use an iPad, but I'm not bringing that around everywhere.  I rarely check emails on the phone.  If my needs change, I'll get a bigger phone.  Until then, the SE is the right size.  (Isn't that the size Steve Jobs wanted to stick with?)

I assume they did the SE because they pretty much had most of the parts in production from the ipods.  Hopefully they continue to do that. 

Who mocked you? Your friends and coworkers?

spootieho said:
iacrenter said:

People have mocked me for having a smaller phone.  If I need something bigger, I can use an iPad, but I'm not bringing that around everywhere.  I rarely check emails on the phone.  If my needs change, I'll get a bigger phone.  Until then, the SE is the right size.  (Isn't that the size Steve Jobs wanted to stick with?)

I assume they did the SE because they pretty much had most of the parts in production from the ipods.  Hopefully they continue to do that.

eyephone said:
Who mocked you? Your friends and coworkers?

spootieho said:
iacrenter said:

zoolander-small-phone.png

I used to think the SE was the perfect size too.

But my eyes are old now, even the 6/7/8 seem a bit small to me.

I still feel the Plus ones are too big for everyday use but maybe I just need a murse, I see the ballers are bringing back the fannypack.

I would love to see a OLED SE size phone. I ruined my last plus phone after sitting down. The damn thing was so big it got crushed in my pocket.

Apple's biggest reveal of the year will be tomorrow starting at 10 AM PST. Nothing too exciting. Most of the details have leaked out. 3 new phones, 2 premium OLED models and one "budget" LCD model. Form factor will pretty much stay the same. Look for upgraded chips, memory, and cameras. Maybe dual SIM support. They will announce a larger screen series 4 watch, maybe with a 64 bit chip, EKG sensor, maybe all LTE capable. I would love if they announce their new TV bundle. Rumors suggest Apple is starting their own online streaming program with exclusive content (think Amazon Prime or Netflix). It might even be free if you own a newer apple device and/or have a all in one media subscription including music, video, and magazine/news.
https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-xs...rices-release-date-launch-date-specs-sept-12/

So pretty much what was leaked.

Apple's lineup from what I read will be the: 7 and 8 series, the XS, XS Max and XR (the X will be discontinued).

The SE and 6S phones (the only ones with the headphone jack) are also going away.

I find it interesting that Apple isn't keeping a budget phone in their lineup... maybe I'll get a 6S Plus before they disappear.

And do you call it the iPhone "ex" or the iPhone "ten"? They should have called the XR the iPhone 9.

irvinehomeowner said:
So pretty much what was leaked.

Apple's lineup from what I read will be the: 7 and 8 series, the XS, XS Max and XR (the X will be discontinued).

The SE and 6S phones (the only ones with the headphone jack) are also going away.

I find it interesting that Apple isn't keeping a budget phone in their lineup... maybe I'll get a 6S Plus before they disappear.

And do you call it the iPhone "ex" or the iPhone "ten"? They should have called the XR the iPhone 9.

Looks like XR maybe the one to buy here from a ?value ? perspective

Back