You Don?t Drive a Minivan? You Should. Here?s Why.

The Honda Odyssey also has more cubic feet of cargo space than a Suburban when the seats are folded/removed.  It's basically a kid hauler that can double as a covered pick up truck.

There are really only a few reasons to get a large SUV:

-4-Wheel Drive (something most people never use)
-Higher towing capacity (though a minivan could still tow up to 3,500 pounds)
-It's not as dorky as a minivan (but is that worth an extra $20-30k in cost?)

The minivan wins in every other category.

how does the tesla model x get away with being called an suv?  the thing looks exactly like a minivan.

2016-Tesla-Model-X-P90D-front-three-quarter-in-motion.jpg

2017-Honda-Odyssey-01.jpg

The only functional 3 row suv design similar to a minivan , maximizing interior space was the last generation GMC Acadia

Chrysler Pacifica is actually very decent too. Looks sleeker then many large SUVs out there .

The only catch is these things don?t get the best of engine tech out there since all the focus is on SUVs.  Low end torque is adequate , but that?s about it . I know people are expected to drive slow in a minivan , but still it?s always nice to know you have that extra power on tap.

And yes , I can?t figure out why that Tesla looks any better than a minivan

The model x is one of the ugliest looking cars on the road, the minivans look better.  Not far behind is the model 3.

Family member has a Model X. Was shocked at the build quality and small 2nd row seating for the cost of what is considered a premium SUV. If I had the option, it's interesting to have a gull winged car, but not so when few can fit in it comfortably.

4WD isn't needed for most, but our Toyota Sequoia really did the job when we were professional kid haulers. Size, safety were all pluses and even gas mileage wasn't too bad. 200k miles later we still sold it for more than was expected.

In any case, I'd check the measurements of your garage before picking up any vehicle. The SUV's we've had sometimes had to be positioned juuuuussst so to get the garage door down safely. Our home was a 1994 build, and can't really say the new builds have as spacious of garages as others.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
In any case, I'd check the measurements of your garage before picking up any vehicle. The SUV's we've had sometimes had to be positioned juuuuussst so to get the garage door down safely. Our home was a 1994 build, and can't really say the new builds have as spacious of garages as others.

My .02c

are hanging tennis balls still a thing?  :)

The old Toyota suvs from the 90s were really designed well and looked really good with near perfect proportions between greenhouse / windows and the steel body (I loved that early 90s land cruiser).  Now they just tack on more and more cladding and weight on the outside without a commensurate Increase in interior space.  More brawn , but less functional .

Back