John McCain: Myth vs. Reality

Liar Loan

There seems to be an effort lately to canonize John McCain as some kind of saint now that he has passed away.

This sentiment expressed by two of our resident TI posters displays it perfectly:

eyephone said:
fortune11 said:
Just saw the sad news of John McCain passing away ? a reminder of the greatness and conviction that can still exist in the political system.  He was so unique and way above both political parties .

I consider John McCain as a patriot.

Yet, if you go back and actually study John McCain's life, there is lot more self-dealing and opportunism than heroism and patriotism on display. 

I challenge those of you fawning over him, or that secretly admire him, to read this long but comprehensive article and tell me if you think John McCain is still worthy of praise.

Rolling Stone: Make-Believe Maverickhttps://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/john-mccain-make-believe-maverick-202004/

Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

This post is so odd. I know John McCain as a US senator who passed away. May he RIP.

bones said:
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

This post is so odd. I know John McCain as a US senator who passed away. May he RIP.

Maybe if you read the article I linked to it will come together for you.

Liar Loan said:
bones said:
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

I did. And it didn?t. But I?m probably not your target audience.

bones said:
Liar Loan said:
bones said:
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

Well, my target audience would be the two I responded to above.  But it's open for others to comment.

If TI is a forum whose traffic is dying then it needs people to start threads, which is what I'm doing here.

If anybody doesn't see the value in this topic, there's no harm in skipping the thread.  There are plenty of threads I don't bother reading because they don't interest me either.

Liar Loan said:
bones said:
Liar Loan said:
bones said:
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

Well, my target audience would be the two I responded to above.  But it's open for others to comment.

If TI is a forum whose traffic is dying then it needs people to start threads, which is what I'm doing here.

If anybody doesn't see the value in this topic, there's no harm in skipping the thread.  There are plenty of threads I don't bother reading because they don't interest me either.

Ok fine, I'll bite.  I didn't find what I read to be that shocking to be honest.  And he certainly wouldn't be the first politician to exaggerate the truth or push aside others for his own personal gain.  Maybe I should dig up my McCain/Palin bumper sticker and donate it to Goodwill :)

Did you read this article when it originally published?  I find it hard to believe you read it in the 10 minutes between when I first posted it and when you replied.  It's a long read.

You might want to donate the bumper sticker.  Did you hear that McCain's family didn't even invite Palin to the funeral?  Classy.

Liar Loan said:
Did you read this article when it originally published?  I find it hard to believe you read it in the 10 minutes between when I first posted it and when you replied.  It's a long read.

You might want to donate the bumper sticker.  Did you hear that McCain's family didn't even invite Palin to the funeral?  Classy.

My time stamps on the posts say OP is 5:04. My reply saying I did is 5:28.  May want to recheck your math. I read fast. I also type fast. And if u ask around. I also talk fast.

I didn?t hear that about the funeral but I did hear that McCain never really threw her under the bus (at least publicly). But not sure if that?s accurate.

The time stamps I'm looking at show my first post at 9:04 and your first response at 9:14.

Palin never threw McCain under the bus either, so I can only imagine that he dis-invited her due to her endorsement of you-know-who.  A petty, vindictive move on his part.  Can you imagine sitting on your death bed worrying about who you wanted to send a message to like that?

Liar Loan said:
The time stamps I'm looking at show my first post at 9:04 and your first response at 9:14.

Palin never threw McCain under the bus either, so I can only imagine that he dis-invited her due to her endorsement of you-know-who.  A petty, vindictive move on his part.  Can you imagine sitting on your death bed worrying about who you wanted to send a message to like that?

I acknowledged I did at 5:28 and that?s actually when I did finish reading the article. But you weren?t here reading side by side with me so you?ll have to take my word for it. Just like I wasn?t at McCain?s death bed so I have no idea if that?s how it all played out so I?m just going to do the millennial ?shrug? here.

Liar Loan said:

Honestly, the pro-Trump bent of several very active posters reduces my personal traffic to this forum. And it's not just a rational, thoughtful support of a given politician or set of policies (which I can respect). The feeling I get is from a group of people who get joy out of "owning libs", an echo chamber of schadenfreude.

HMart said:
Liar Loan said:

Honestly, the pro-Trump bent of several very active posters reduces my personal traffic to this forum. And it's not just a rational, thoughtful support of a given politician or set of policies (which I can respect). The feeling I get is from a group of people who get joy out of "owning libs", an echo chamber of schadenfreude.

Oh, glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I tried to engage but then get accused of lying.  It's also really hard to get up for McCain v. Palin pettiness especially after one of the aforementioned already passed.

bones said:
HMart said:
Liar Loan said:

Oh, glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I tried to engage but then get accused of lying.  It's also really hard to get up for McCain v. Palin pettiness especially after one of the aforementioned already passed.

Agree

I was disengaged from this TI  political stuff for some time but then couldn?t help but intervene when I saw this echo chamber of sorts that goes beyond just policy discussions .

Out of habit , I feel like correcting many of the random lies and nonsense that people keep posting from right wing clickbait websites .

bones - I didn't accuse you of lying.  You are playing the victim here.  I simply explained that from my perspective there were only 10 minutes between when I posted the link and your first post.  Later you said you read the article which implied you had read it before posting.

If you don't want to participate on TI, then nobody's forcing you.  We aren't going to start a "Where is bones?" thread.  LOL.

Liar Loan said:
bones - I didn't accuse you of lying.  You are playing the victim here.  I simply explained that from my perspective there were only 10 minutes between when I posted the link and your first post.  Later you said you read the article which implied you had read it before posting.

If you don't want to participate on TI, then nobody's forcing you.  We aren't going to start a "Where is bones?" thread.  LOL.

Nobody?s forcing me?  Ya no shit. I post bc I want to. I clicked on this thread bc I read TI based on recent posts and this one came up first and since it was new, I was like ok, i?ll engage since all the other political ones are too far gone for me to catch up. Clearly you wanted someone to echo chamber you on the article you posted and I didn?t do that. You can?t post something, say anyone can comment, then say if it?s not interesting to you then don?t comment. Instead maybe considering saying, read my shit - if you want to echo me. Please comment. 

Liar Loan said:

don't worry bones, i will start a "where is bones" thread.

right after my next trump post

giphy.gif

bones said:
Liar Loan said:

Nobody?s forcing me?  Ya no shit. I post bc I want to. I clicked on this thread bc I read TI based on recent posts and this one came up first and since it was new, I was like ok, i?ll engage since all the other political ones are too far gone for me to catch up. Clearly you wanted someone to echo chamber you on the article you posted and I didn?t do that. You can?t post something, say anyone can comment, then say if it?s not interesting to you then don?t comment. Instead maybe considering saying, read my shit - if you want to echo me. Please comment. 

Bones, there's nothing to catch up on in those 50+ pages of threads.  My neighbors that have the USC/UCLA rivalries football fanboy fight each year put more intellectual effort into it.

bones said:
Liar Loan said:

I already explained that I was starting this thread to stimulate discussion, but of your many posts on this thread maybe only one of them has anything to do with the topic.  I can only conclude that your objective was to derail things.  If not, here's your chance to prove me wrong.

Please post your opinions on John McCain's legacy.

I like John McCain... I think I voted for him (hard to remember... I'm not Rep or Dem so I have options).

But what I think bones is saying is that at least the members here don't really hold him in such high regard that the article you post will shock them. Most of us know that politicians are half lies (or half truths).

However, I think this is one of those "too soon" threads. The man just passed away... not sure why we have to go slinging when no one is really catching.

Back