Author Topic: John McCain: Myth vs. Reality  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Liar Loan

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 499
  • -Received: 325
John McCain: Myth vs. Reality
« on: August 29, 2018, 09:04:48 PM »
There seems to be an effort lately to canonize John McCain as some kind of saint now that he has passed away.

This sentiment expressed by two of our resident TI posters displays it perfectly:

Just saw the sad news of John McCain passing away — a reminder of the greatness and conviction that can still exist in the political system.  He was so unique and way above both political parties .

I consider John McCain as a patriot.

Yet, if you go back and actually study John McCain's life, there is lot more self-dealing and opportunism than heroism and patriotism on display. 

I challenge those of you fawning over him, or that secretly admire him, to read this long but comprehensive article and tell me if you think John McCain is still worthy of praise.

Rolling Stone: Make-Believe Maverick
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/john-mccain-make-believe-maverick-202004/
eyephone:  Your the snowflake lil bitch. Making up fake stories.

Offline bones

• Thanks
  • -Given: 194
  • -Received: 1087
Re: John McCain: Myth vs. Reality
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

This post is so odd. I know John McCain as a US senator who passed away. May he RIP.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 09:24:30 PM »
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

This post is so odd. I know John McCain as a US senator who passed away. May he RIP.

Maybe if you read the article I linked to it will come together for you.

Offline bones

• Thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 09:28:59 PM »
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

I did. And it didn’t. But I’m probably not your target audience.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 09:37:24 PM »
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

Well, my target audience would be the two I responded to above.  But it's open for others to comment.

If TI is a forum whose traffic is dying then it needs people to start threads, which is what I'm doing here.

If anybody doesn't see the value in this topic, there's no harm in skipping the thread.  There are plenty of threads I don't bother reading because they don't interest me either.

Offline bones

• Thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:57:49 PM »
Challenge?
Fawning over?
Secretly admire?

Well, my target audience would be the two I responded to above.  But it's open for others to comment.

If TI is a forum whose traffic is dying then it needs people to start threads, which is what I'm doing here.

If anybody doesn't see the value in this topic, there's no harm in skipping the thread.  There are plenty of threads I don't bother reading because they don't interest me either.

Ok fine, I'll bite.  I didn't find what I read to be that shocking to be honest.  And he certainly wouldn't be the first politician to exaggerate the truth or push aside others for his own personal gain.  Maybe I should dig up my McCain/Palin bumper sticker and donate it to Goodwill :)

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 10:18:41 PM »
Did you read this article when it originally published?  I find it hard to believe you read it in the 10 minutes between when I first posted it and when you replied.  It's a long read.

You might want to donate the bumper sticker.  Did you hear that McCain's family didn't even invite Palin to the funeral?  Classy.

Offline bones

• Thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 10:22:01 PM »
Did you read this article when it originally published?  I find it hard to believe you read it in the 10 minutes between when I first posted it and when you replied.  It's a long read.

You might want to donate the bumper sticker.  Did you hear that McCain's family didn't even invite Palin to the funeral?  Classy.

My time stamps on the posts say OP is 5:04. My reply saying I did is 5:28.  May want to recheck your math. I read fast. I also type fast. And if u ask around. I also talk fast.

I didn’t hear that about the funeral but I did hear that McCain never really threw her under the bus (at least publicly). But not sure if that’s accurate.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 10:32:45 PM »
The time stamps I'm looking at show my first post at 9:04 and your first response at 9:14.

Palin never threw McCain under the bus either, so I can only imagine that he dis-invited her due to her endorsement of you-know-who.  A petty, vindictive move on his part.  Can you imagine sitting on your death bed worrying about who you wanted to send a message to like that?

Offline bones

• Thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 10:41:23 PM »
The time stamps I'm looking at show my first post at 9:04 and your first response at 9:14.

Palin never threw McCain under the bus either, so I can only imagine that he dis-invited her due to her endorsement of you-know-who.  A petty, vindictive move on his part.  Can you imagine sitting on your death bed worrying about who you wanted to send a message to like that?

I acknowledged I did at 5:28 and that’s actually when I did finish reading the article. But you weren’t here reading side by side with me so you’ll have to take my word for it. Just like I wasn’t at McCain’s death bed so I have no idea if that’s how it all played out so I’m just going to do the millennial “shrug” here.

Offline HMart

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 153
  • -Received: 42
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »

Honestly, the pro-Trump bent of several very active posters reduces my personal traffic to this forum. And it's not just a rational, thoughtful support of a given politician or set of policies (which I can respect). The feeling I get is from a group of people who get joy out of "owning libs", an echo chamber of schadenfreude.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline bones

• Thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »

Honestly, the pro-Trump bent of several very active posters reduces my personal traffic to this forum. And it's not just a rational, thoughtful support of a given politician or set of policies (which I can respect). The feeling I get is from a group of people who get joy out of "owning libs", an echo chamber of schadenfreude.

Oh, glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I tried to engage but then get accused of lying.  It's also really hard to get up for McCain v. Palin pettiness especially after one of the aforementioned already passed.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
  • -Given: 191
  • -Received: 220
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »

Oh, glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.  I tried to engage but then get accused of lying.  It's also really hard to get up for McCain v. Palin pettiness especially after one of the aforementioned already passed.

Agree

I was disengaged from this TI  political stuff for some time but then couldn’t help but intervene when I saw this echo chamber of sorts that goes beyond just policy discussions .

Out of habit , I feel like correcting many of the random lies and nonsense that people keep posting from right wing clickbait websites .

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
bones - I didn't accuse you of lying.  You are playing the victim here.  I simply explained that from my perspective there were only 10 minutes between when I posted the link and your first post.  Later you said you read the article which implied you had read it before posting.

If you don't want to participate on TI, then nobody's forcing you.  We aren't going to start a "Where is bones?" thread.  LOL.

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 98
  • -Received: 334
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 12:16:28 PM »
Pettiness du jour

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters