Do NOT hire Jefferson Rand

shadyoc

I wanted to let everyone know about our bad experience with Jefferson Rand.  Don?t do business with this company.  We paid them good money and found several areas that were exposed after the fact.  Julia Yi never returned my messages after pointing out the flaws.  Neighbors have issues with this company also.  Not recommended at all.  Where else can you post a bad review?  They don?t have anything on BBB or Yelp

I almost went with them, had a meeting with some guy (forget his name) who reminded me of Jeff Lewis from that Flipping Out show.  He setup a return visit which I was ready to put a deposit but never showed up (guess I got lucky). 

The tough part for me to swallow is that he wouldn't give an itemized quote, just a range that he thought we'd fall into, but I checked their references at the time (they did a number of homes in PS) and they all seemed to check out.

shadyoc said:
I wanted to let everyone know about our bad experience with Jefferson Rand.  Don?t do business with this company.  We paid them good money and found several areas that were exposed after the fact.  Julia Yi never returned my messages after pointing out the flaws.  Neighbors have issues with this company also.  Not recommended at all.  Where else can you post a bad review?  They don?t have anything on BBB or Yelp

Speaking of shady:

- Posting a negative review on a forum like this that tends to come up high in search results
- No specifics or backups to your claims to let the reader just for themselves.

I often disregard bad reviews after reading the details

For instance, here's a one-star hotel review for a two star hotel that does not claim to have an elevator. You can obviously disregard the whole review.
DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL. They ripped us off. We made reservations five months in advance, at the time we told them we were handicap seniors. They did not tell us there was no elevator, and the put us on the third floor with three suitcases. Had a terrible time getting up the stairs. After having to fight with them, they put us on the first floor and wanted to charge us $300.00 more,. We stayed two nights and they never gave us our money back for third night.There so called breakfast, is nothing more than coffee and some sweet rolls that you have to put on a try and take back to you room as there is no place to sit down to enjoy it.THEY RIPPED US OFF..

bones said:
Houzz??

What do you mean by exposed.

Basically called them out on why sprinkler system was installed incorrectly in some parts of the lawn.  After pipes had issues and had to do some digging around.

Had another house who used them.  They redid the driveway and accidentally cracked the garage slab in the process.

paperboyNC said:
shadyoc said:

Speaking of shady:

- Posting a negative review on a forum like this that tends to come up high in search results

I agree for new members posting a bad review but shadyoc has been around for a while.

I don't know anyone who's had a great experience with a landscaping company. It seems to be the nature of the beast.

We used Jefferson Rand 2+ years ago and had a good experience. The project took longer than projected, but we expected this. They had 2-3 crews working different projects concurrently. There were a couple days when nobody showed-up to the house, especially annoying when they occurred toward the end of the project.

Anyway, no complaints. The design was great, even if the execution lagged.

We had a really good experience in 2012. The market was slower back then though, the work that was done is still in great shape.

Ditto to the above two replies. I?ve actually used them on 2 houses and both were good experiences.

@shady. What did they do about the slab crack?

bones said:
Ditto to the above two replies. I?ve actually used them on 2 houses and both were good experiences.

@shady. What did they do about the slab crack?

I'm not sure if they did anything. 

irvinehomeowner said:
paperboyNC said:
shadyoc said:

Speaking of shady:

I agree for new members posting a bad review but shadyoc has been around for a while.

your reviews matter only if you have been around a while.

We recently discovered all the drip lines Jefferson Rand installed for the ground cover, were done at a half ass job.  They did not add stoppers so basically it?s a hose running.  Dirt can get trapped inside.  They didn?t even bother tying the ends.

I wonder why many other Mickey Mouse jobs they have done for owners?

Ah yes i remember Jefferson Rand saying they use soaker hose instead of normal small plastic tube drip.  Not many landscapers use soaker hose.

aquabliss said:
Ah yes i remember Jefferson Rand saying they use soaker hose instead of normal small plastic tube drip.  Not many landscapers use soaker hose.

Why would they use soaker hose?  Isn?t that just wasting water?  They still have small holes on the side.  Just the ends are open.  They pretty much just bent the end of the drip lines, and didn?t even bother tying them off.  No pressure regulators installed either.

aquabliss said:
Not quite sure what you?re saying here... I have these at my sprinkler hubs:https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-8-Port-NPT-Irrigation-Manifold-with-Filter/3426558

Then this tubing is connected to each port, and the water comes out the end so it?s intentionally left open for this purpose:https://www.lowes.com/pd/Raindrip-1...e-Drip-Irrigation-Distribution-Tubing/3396368

The way they did it was connect the drip line into the sprinkler pipe.  When the sprinklers turn on, the drip line will also have water flowing through the hose.  They didn?t add a pressure regulator, which is the right way to do it since the sprinkler water pressure and the drip line water pressure is different.  That?s probably what caused the pipe to burst.  At the end of the hoses, there are supposed to be caps that stop the water from coming out.  There are small holes aligned within the rubber hose that let out small amounts of water.  That's the way it is supposed to drip out per say.  But at the end, without a cap, the water just flows out like if you were to turn on the hose and leave it running.  Asking other contractors, that is not the right way to do it.  They were supposed to cap it at the end of the rubber drip line.  We discovered that they cut corners.

shadyoc said:
aquabliss said:
Not quite sure what you?re saying here... I have these at my sprinkler hubs:https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-8-Port-NPT-Irrigation-Manifold-with-Filter/3426558

Then this tubing is connected to each port, and the water comes out the end so it?s intentionally left open for this purpose:https://www.lowes.com/pd/Raindrip-1...e-Drip-Irrigation-Distribution-Tubing/3396368

The way they did it was connect the drip line into the sprinkler pipe.  When the sprinklers turn on, the drip line will also have water flowing through the hose.  They didn?t add a pressure regulator, which is the right way to do it since the sprinkler water pressure and the drip line water pressure is different.  That?s probably what caused the pipe to burst.  At the end of the hoses, there are supposed to be caps that stop the water from coming out.  There are small holes aligned within the rubber hose that let out small amounts of water.  That's the way it is supposed to drip out per say.  But at the end, without a cap, the water just flows out like if you were to turn on the hose and leave it running.  Asking other contractors, that is not the right way to do it.  They were supposed to cap it at the end of the rubber drip line.  We discovered that they cut corners.

If the cap is missing, there may be various reasons.  The installer may have put on the cap loosely, and it got pushed out due to water pressure over time.  I have also seen contractor simply fold the end of the drip line, and tie it w/ a wire to "act" as capping the end of the drip line. <- that would be cutting corners. 

I never used Jefferson Rand, but I have to say there are MANY places one can cut corners on in landscape construction.  All of them are WAY worse than a cap on drip lines.  For example: use low psi concrete (3000 psi or lower), use thinner rebar, use lower schedule grade pipes, not removing rocks from dirt during planting, use fewer watering zones then needed, not amending dirt prior to planting, skip road base/gravel prior to pouring concrete, not attaching dobie to rebars, not enough concrete thickness, not using redgard on concrete subase joints prior to tiling, etc. 

Cap on drip lines is a small issue, if Jefferson Rand is unwilling to fix that for you, there may be other things at play here.

Back