Building Material by Richmond American

yxc206

Moved into the new home by Richmond American. Garage door seal damaged by rats. Rats even got into the walls as we found a fist size hole in the garage. Called Richmond American got no response. Had to hire a third party pest control and caught two rats this morning. there could be more inside.
Questions: is hole due to the low quality of materials used by Richmond American? Is Garage door seal issue common or should be addressed by builder too? Thanks

yxc206 said:
Moved into the new home by Richmond American. Garage door seal damaged by rats. Rats even got into the walls as we found a fist size hole in the garage. Called Richmond American got no response. Had to hire a third party pest control and caught two rats this morning. there could be more inside.
Questions: is hole due to the low quality of materials used by Richmond American? Is Garage door seal issue common or should be addressed by builder too? Thanks

Which development?

RA will respond when you threaten them with bad publicity here on TI.

thanks.

It's Avila @ Eastwood.. Sent pics to sales today for lacking of CS response...  the interior walls in garage probably used some materials that tasted delicious to rats..

their after-sale service is not even comparable with what we had with Irvine Pacific.

WTTCHMN said:
yxc206 said:

Which development?

I bet the workers got rid of their lunches between walls for convenient disposal. Nasty if you tell me. All construction materials are standard and must meet building codes for all development. Richmond need to face up.

yxc206 said:
thanks.

It's Avila @ Eastwood.. Sent pics to sales today for lacking of CS response...  the interior walls in garage probably used some materials that tasted delicious to rats..

their after-sale service is not even comparable with what we had with Irvine Pacific.

WTTCHMN said:
yxc206 said:

Which development?

thanks for the hypothesis..  hard for me to believe rats got through the garage door seal, digged a whole in the garage wall and came all the way up to 2nd floor for leftovers from months ago.. :)

Will reported back in the morning if more are caught....

anyone had rat problem in new building? Orchard hills?

Compressed-Village said:
I bet the workers got rid of their lunches between walls for convenient disposal. Nasty if you tell me. All construction materials are standard and must meet building codes for all development. Richmond need to face up.

yxc206 said:
thanks.

WTTCHMN said:
yxc206 said:

Which development?

A fist-sized hole in...the drywall?  I've never heard of rats munching though drywall.  And a fist-sized hole is huge for a pest...how big are the rats?  Did the area look like it was eaten by rats?  You would see little teeth marks around the edge.

We've had mice chew through the garage door seal but they never entered the house or drywall. Complained to the builder and they've offered to replace the seal.

Traps have caught more than 20 mice so far. Less common now that later phase construction has moved further away.

Maserson said:
We've had mice chew through the garage door seal but they never entered the house or drywall. Complained to the builder and they've offered to replace the seal.

Traps have caught more than 20 mice so far. Less common now that later phase construction has moved further away.

I had similar problem.  Put a pad of steel wool on each side of the garage door where the seals are.  No problems since as mice won't chew on steel wool.  Also, steel wool will compress when door closes so there's no more gap between garage door and frame.

just about the size of rats caught..we flushed the garage due to rat stools and didnt even notice the hole around the corner at the beginning. thank god no more rats were caught this morning.. need to get the drywall patched on Monday..

daedalus said:
A fist-sized hole in...the drywall?  I've never heard of rats munching though drywall.  And a fist-sized hole is huge for a pest...how big are the rats?  Did the area look like it was eaten by rats?  You would see little teeth marks around the edge.

caught another one.. spent quite a while to remove the blood.. ugh!
RA guy came said he couldn't do anything.mgmt instructed not to anything.... even couldn't offer a repair of garage seal.. said pest control was home owner's responsibility.

plan to put more traps and repair the seal today..

huge difference in deed vs dealing with Irvine Pacific in terms of after-sale service..

yxc206 said:
RA guy came said he couldn't do anything.mgmt instructed not to anything.... even couldn't offer a repair of garage seal.. said pest control was home owner's responsibility.

huge difference in deed vs dealing with Irvine Pacific in terms of after-sale service..

Don?t bring up Ellwood at Beacon Park.

actual you are probaly right..

I just had a guy came over to estimate the cost of replacing door/side weather stripping.. the guy told me this hole was unlikely made by rats.. It's likely left by the technician who did the garage door sensor wiring.. I think this makes sense..  after all, it was too round..  too bad the RAH guy said the hole wasn't there before... lol

daedalus said:

maybe the market is too hot for RAH to care about after-sale service..

eyephone said:
yxc206 said:

Don?t bring up Ellwood at Beacon Park.

so on Tuesday the builder responded and offered to replace the stripping and repair the drywall after we addressed the rodent issue

Maserson said:

yxc206 said:
so on Tuesday the builder responded and offered to replace the stripping and repair the drywall after we addressed the rodent issue

Maserson said:

Maybe you should invest in a cat.  Seriously though, if RAH doesn't care about toxic mold, why would they care about weather stripping?
https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,14612.15.html

yxc206 said:
not sure if they monitor TI.. I went through Twitter.. :)

Nice work. Twitter is the way to go.  Companies are now really scared of a small incident going viral and becoming a meme  !

Back