Canon 5D Mk II or Newer mirrorless?

momopi

Recently the Canon 5D mk ii that I couldn?t afford to splurge on 10 years ago has fallen to $500-600 on the resale market, many closet queens with relatively low shutter counts (under 50k).  I already own a couple EF lens includig the popular 50mm f1.8 that I use for food photography.  Part of the reason for wanting the 5D is to play with its well known video recording capability & magic lantern 3rd party software.  I could take some classs at the Canon experience center in Costa Mesa.

However it seems the newer mirrorless technology has advanced greatly in recent years and some are quite affordable.  It wouldn?t be long before we see these with lens kits and 4K video recording capability in the $500-600 price range.  These tend to be far more compact and lighter than the DSLR, which increase the chance that I would carry them around.

I'd get the 5D for the video capability and access to the huge amount of Canon and third party EF lenses. Mirrorless is more compact but iPhone pictures are pretty darn close to what a mirrorless can take. If you must have a compact camera, Sony has much more mature mirrorless technology than Canon as well as access to Zeiss lenses. If money is no object, get a Leica for the quality and snobbery.

Back