Netgear modem and router in one

shadyoc

I recently tried to save money and buy a two in one modem and router.  I used to have a separate Arris Motorola modem and Nighthawk router. I have Cox service.  The amazon streaming and wireless connections have been intermittently slow. I?m getting a Speedtest of 30 Mbps downloads for wireless speeds and when I hard wire in, I am getting 150 Mbps.  Obviously Cox only guarantees speeds at the hardware and not at the wireless connections.

Are these two in one bad performance? 

I prefer to keep my modem and router separate because I can upgrade either one.

What is the Internet plan you have with Cox? I have the Gigabit plan and they gave me the modem for free. I can't remember but I think I get over 500 on the wired and 150-200 on the wireless.

I've been using the ATT gateway with no issues which is a combo router/modem as I have stated in previous posts, getting 900+ up/down on wire and 350 up/down on wireless with my 6S. I do have a separate managed switch since I have a lot of wired connections, but may be switching to the Ubiquiti gateway in the near future.  Cox gateway/modem was horrible, I used a separate router when I was with Cox.  As for me venting, Cox had bad customer service, retention plans, speeds, and pricing.  If you have ATT Fiber in the area, think about switching. 

Back