Author Topic: Netgear modem and router in one  (Read 359 times)

Offline shadyoc

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 5
Netgear modem and router in one
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:16:44 PM »
I recently tried to save money and buy a two in one modem and router.  I used to have a separate Arris Motorola modem and Nighthawk router. I have Cox service.  The amazon streaming and wireless connections have been intermittently slow. I’m getting a Speedtest of 30 Mbps downloads for wireless speeds and when I hard wire in, I am getting 150 Mbps.  Obviously Cox only guarantees speeds at the hardware and not at the wireless connections.

Are these two in one bad performance? 

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2083
  • -Received: 3527
  • 3CWG
Re: Netgear modem and router in one
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 06:43:19 AM »
I prefer to keep my modem and router separate because I can upgrade either one.

What is the Internet plan you have with Cox? I have the Gigabit plan and they gave me the modem for free. I can't remember but I think I get over 500 on the wired and 150-200 on the wireless.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline akkord

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 56
Re: Netgear modem and router in one
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »
I've been using the ATT gateway with no issues which is a combo router/modem as I have stated in previous posts, getting 900+ up/down on wire and 350 up/down on wireless with my 6S. I do have a separate managed switch since I have a lot of wired connections, but may be switching to the Ubiquiti gateway in the near future.  Cox gateway/modem was horrible, I used a separate router when I was with Cox.  As for me venting, Cox had bad customer service, retention plans, speeds, and pricing.  If you have ATT Fiber in the area, think about switching. 

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts