Considering Cal Pac Homes in Portola Springs

moc

New to the area...considering purchasing in Portola Springs from California Pacific Homes.

We're first time home buyers. I've read some of the pros and cons to the neighborhood, I think we're good with that. Looking for any insights on buying new construction and California Pacific Homes specifically. Are they a reputable builder? Any red flags?

Anything else you would want a first time home buyer in Irvine to know?

I can add some feedback regarding homes sold by Cal Pac.

In general, homes are typically subcontracted out to the same homebuilders regardless of the company actually selling the homes.  Where I would distinguish between them is the service they provide during the build and post-close (e.g. warranty issues).  In that regard, Cal Pac has been excellent addressing any and all concerns on our home.  Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I've lived in Portola Springs for a number of years and I'm a little jealous of the location of these new homes:
- Walking distance to the elementary school opening August 2019
- Walking distance to the new community park

Portola Springs is a little remote which has pros and cons. It's a little quieter, has views of the Loma Ridge, etc. But it also takes an extra few minutes driving compared to Woodbury or Cypress Village to get to most destinations.

I work South on the 241 so it's actually a lot closer for me :)

paperboyNC said:
I've lived in Portola Springs for a number of years and I'm a little jealous of the location of these new homes:

Portola Springs is a little remote which has pros and cons. It's a little quieter, has views of the Loma Ridge, etc. But it also takes an extra few minutes driving compared to Woodbury or Cypress Village to get to most destinations.

We just moved from an area where we were driving 15-20 minutes to get to everything we needed and that was totally fine - so we're good with a few extra minutes :) and yes the walking distance to the community park and new school are big draws for us. Our only hesitation is proximity to 241. When we visited the noise was not terrible, but it wasn't rush hour. We're a little worried about noise and air pollution from the freeway.

paperboyNC said:

The location is what sold us on Portola Springs! We are one of the lucky ones who live within walking distance of the new community park and elementary school, and also have outstanding views of city lights and Loma Ridge! We don't mind being further away and having access to trails and nature. Previously, we lived in West Irvine near Jamboree and while it was convenient to be near the Marketplace, Jamboree road itself was always busy. Now, it's about 10 minutes away and driving down Portola Parkway to get there is a breeze.

The new elementary school is going to be beautiful! I've seen the renderings and the open space that the children will get to play in. They'll have a phenomenal view from their playing field. How many elementary schools have that?

Before settling on Portola Springs, we considered Orchard Hills because of the neighborhood and topography, but we weren't set on the prices and being in the Tustin school district. We are so happy we made the choice to live here. We met all of our neighbors on our block the first week we moved in, have weekly get togethers and are already planning a Labor Day block party! Perhaps we just lucked out, but we truly love where we live.

CalPac has taken really good care of us since moving in. Any issues are resolved quickly and professionally.  We got a nail that was scattered from construction on the road on one of our tires and CalPac reimbursed us. After that, they put in more effort to keep the roads clean and the construction workers out of the main roads.

My only complaint is that the Woodbury shopping center isn't enough to sustain all the neighborhoods surrounding it. I'm hoping that another shopping center will be built nearby soon to help with the growing area.

No community is perfect, but they key is to find the one that best fits you and your family. Hope this helps!

moc said:
We just moved from an area where we were driving 15-20 minutes to get to everything we needed and that was totally fine - so we're good with a few extra minutes :) and yes the walking distance to the community park and new school are big draws for us. Our only hesitation is proximity to 241. When we visited the noise was not terrible, but it wasn't rush hour. We're a little worried about noise and air pollution from the freeway.

We live near the 241. There is some noise, particularly when a motorcycle or garbage truck drives by. One of our neighbors lives near the 133/Portola intersection and says they get more noise from Portola than the 133.

Eventually the 133/241 are going to be freeways (not toll roads) and you definitely won't want to live by them. Right now we're about 40 years out from them being paid off - so you'll want to sell your home before buyers realize how much the home will lose value due to the freeway.

moc said:
New to the area...considering purchasing in Portola Springs from California Pacific Homes.

We're first time home buyers. I've read some of the pros and cons to the neighborhood, I think we're good with that. Looking for any insights on buying new construction and California Pacific Homes specifically. Are they a reputable builder? Any red flags?

Anything else you would want a first time home buyer in Irvine to know?

I would suggest talk to Martin Mania, he is expert in this area. Here is link to his listing in Portola springs. He can probably guide you in the right direction, and may offer some rebates too on the commission.
https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,16490.0.html

Do you think we would be running gas-based vehicles in next 40 years?

paperboyNC said:
moc said:

We live near the 241. There is some noise, particularly when a motorcycle or garbage truck drives by. One of our neighbors lives near the 133/Portola intersection and says they get more noise from Portola than the 133.

Eventually the 133/241 are going to be freeways (not toll roads) and you definitely won't want to live by them. Right now we're about 40 years out from them being paid off - so you'll want to sell your home before buyers realize how much the home will lose value due to the freeway.

Yes

OCLuvr said:

paperboyNC said:
moc said:

I don?t think so. It will be all self-driving and electric

AW said:
Yes
OCLuvr said:

paperboyNC said:
moc said:

Kings said:
are there any fire risks with living in PS?

Yes, there is. The city has built fire breaks around the communities and the homes are built with flame retardant roofing and siding, but of course, there is still some risk.

As far as noise, I think it depends upon which part of Portola Springs you are located. We are near the 241 and don't hear it, but our house is located on the other side with other homes to act as a buffer, and our house doesn't face the highway. We will hear the occasional speed racer coming down Portola when it's wide open, but we can't get mad at that because we do it every once in a while, too. :)

Back