Iusd vs Pegasus vs Harbor Day for first grade

Askslam

Hi

I wanted to get your experience on Irvine elementary school vs Pegasus vs Harbor Day. My son will be going to first grade next year and I am trying to assess curriculum and class size between staying public and putting him at Vista Verde specifically vs private school. My understanding is that vista verde has a ratio of 1:30 and parents are heavily encouraged to participate.  I have also been told that if your child is advanced, that the child doesn?t get new materials if he has for instance finished the first grade level of math, he wouldn?t be offered 2nd grade math materials to continue his advancement  in that subject. What is your experience with the Irvine public schools?  Any input would be helpful.

You'll kill yourself driving to Pegasus every day.  Harbor Day is even worse because it's all surface streets to get there.

This won?t be popular, but all parents should be encouraged to participate in their child?s education. Teaching should be a partnership with the parents in educating their child. Why else would a parent choose to be a parent if they simply wished to not be involved. Vista Verde should be commended for expecting parent involvement. Besides the school only sees your child for 1/3 of the day; I hope the parents are using some of the remaining time to continue their child?s education through their own efforts (not money).

WTTCHMN said:
You'll kill yourself driving to Pegasus every day.  Harbor Day is even worse because it's all surface streets to get there.

I think there?s (school) bus service to Pegasus. Harbor day isn?t that bad of a drive if you live in Hidden canyon/laguna altura and use the 73.

I can't really comment on the academics, although I'd imagine they're good at all three.  However, you might want to also consider the "culture" of the school. 

Harbor Day has a real 'House Wives of OC' kind of vibe whenever my kids' school has played them in sports.  Maybe that appeals to you, maybe it doesn't.  Personally, it's not the kind of atmosphere I would want for my kids.

Pegasus being in HB probably has a bit different vibe than Harbor Day, and I'm sure Irvine is also different than either of the private options.  You may want to take the time to visit each school and see if the culture is a good fit for you and your family.

Back