Stonegate vs. Woodbury

ak

I am looking to buy either a Maricopa plan 3 or a San Marino plan 1.  I was wondering what the group thought would be a better buy in the long term.  In my opinion, Woodbury is a nicer development than Stonegate with a much higher end feel to it and amenities.  Does anyone know what the full build out of Stonegate will look like?  Can I find this out know through the City of Irvine?

Welcome to TI ak.

Other than the downstairs laundry, I like the Maricopa Plan 3 over San Marino Plan 1... and it's less money too.

As for comparing SG to WB... they both have the benefit of an in-neighborhood Elem school... and SG's is closer to Maricopa. I think once SG gets built out, it will look just as good as any of the new Irvine tracts... including Woodbury.

If you go to thehttp://www.villagesofirvine.comsite, you can see the map for Stonegate to give you an idea of what the overall plan for the community is.

Good luck.

i like the woodbury location better... and even when it's all built out i think woodbury would be nicer (probably not by much but if i had to choose).  first off is the distance to the 5... a little closer (but not too close)... distance from the landfill (further)... and distance from the hills that get lit up every 5-10 years (further).  Add to that woodbury has a retail center (nice to be able to walk there without crossing irvine blvd)... and this may be a personal preference, but woodbury has a larger pool and a large community park.  Finally, their elementary school is year round which i prefer, for my daughter.

with that said, i bought in stonegate but that's because as of today, i can't get a detached in woodbury for ~550k (what i'm paying for in stonegate).  i don't know about san marino vs. maricopa... but if you're just asking about community i'd pick woodbury. 

I'll quote two of my buyers...

"Stonegate will always be the red headed stepchild to Woodbury."

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of either due to their high pricing.

I agree. SG is Northpark Square and WB is the Guard gated Northpark.  Even the street lamps in SG are like the ones found on major streets like Irvine Blvd.  The street lamps in WB are designer upgrades.  These little things make a big difference in the future.

Like Village People, my husband really likes Woodbury but the resale prices are still so very high and there aren't many new developments that fit our needs.

The hoa right now for Stonegate is only ~110 while the assocation costs for Woodbury are 300.

Will Stonegate eventually cost 300 as well even though it has fewer amenities? Most likely?

Actually... the master HOA for Woodbury is $105.

Many of the condo tracts have a sub HOA which would bring it to $300.

Currently, TIC is only doing the master HOA for some of the projects at Stonegate (I only looked at Maricopa and San Marcos), I don't know if the others (or future projects) have sub-HOAs.

San Mateo in Stonegate does not have a Sub-HOA.

Santa Clara in Stonegate has a $193 Sub-HOA on top of the Master HOA ($110)

Long time lurker here. I enjoy and learn a great deal from you all. I used to post back at IHB.

I wanted to share that back in 2010 the Irvine Co gave a presentation to selected members of the Woodbury Community on a development for their 2010 new homes occurring in Woodbury.  They implied they start out by building an A class village with the best amenities and features, and later add adjacent villages that would be classified as a B villages. This seems to be a pattern for all their developments, past, present, and future. (Example: Quail Hill, and Woodbridge are A-class villages) (Westpark and Oakcreek are B-villages). They said that none of the surrounding villages would be as nicely amenitized and planned as Woodbury would be. Woodbury has more pocket parks, landscaped paths, and pools than any of the future new developments directly around it. It will also be the only new village with walking distance to an elementary and new junior high school (Accessed via future pedestrian bridge across Trabuco.)

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So what does that make Portola Springs? The value-priced adopted child?
Poor man's Quail Hill or the red-headed stepchild to Quail Hill.  :p

if i'm not mistaken... portola springs has a upper enclave and a lower enclave... with the upper one being the "higher-end".

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
So what does that make Portola Springs? The value-priced adopted child?
Poor man's Quail Hill or the red-headed stepchild to Quail Hill.  :p
No... PS is Orchard Hill's whipping boy... Laguna Altura is Quail Hill's ugly sibling.

(apologies in advance to whipping boys and ugly siblings out there)

matchbox said:
Long time lurker here. I enjoy and learn a great deal from you all. I used to post back at IHB.

I wanted to share that back in 2010 the Irvine Co gave a presentation to selected members of the Woodbury Community on a development for their 2010 new homes occurring in Woodbury.  They implied they start out by building an A class village with the best amenities and features, and later add adjacent villages that would be classified as a B villages. This seems to be a pattern for all their developments, past, present, and future. (Example: Quail Hill, and Woodbridge are A-class villages) (Westpark and Oakcreek are B-villages). They said that none of the surrounding villages would be as nicely amenitized and planned as Woodbury would be. Woodbury has more pocket parks, landscaped paths, and pools than any of the future new developments directly around it. It will also be the only new village with walking distance to an elementary and new junior high school (Accessed via future pedestrian bridge across Trabuco.)
Great first post Matchbox.

This sort of makes sense to me... even based on pricing. Although, I think TIC holds the right to change things based on what happens in the market.

So was Portola Springs an A or a B? It was supposed to have both an Elem and Middle school... and the retail center.

I agree with Bones. I am pretty sure it was originally intended to be an A-village. But as we know, things have changed since PS first came about in 2006.

Personally, I think the latest front-door-on-motor-court concept really compromises the integrity of curb appeal and the look and feel of the neighborhood it is built into.  All the homes in Woodbury and PS originally were planned to have front doors directly off of the main streets. The majority of the current new homes are in motor alleys, with a block wall around them. Since PS developed late its getting the bulk of them.

So PS is more like a B+ or A- now... hehe.

I do think the mix has changed... I don't think TIC intended to build $500k detached homes in the North Enclave.

I like WB as a neighborhood (although it is dense) with its amenities and walking distance to schools and shopping, but worry about future resale values since it feeds into Irvine HS. 

I also like PS because it is tucked away, more peaceful, less dense, nice amenities, and will be walking distance to shopping (if you buy in the south enclave) and feeds into Northwood HS but don't like the new home selection there that are in w/n my price range.

bones said:
Agree.  Manzanita was supposed to build on more of that land - they ended up building less than 30 homes I believe.

At least they didn't try to fill space by doing an apartment complex there.

That's how I had come to understand the A and B village concept. Last year TIC was proposing to replace originally planned detached homes and  pocket park in Woodbury with a higher density attached product. The neighborhood fought back, and we ended up comprimising by having Montecito homes and a pedestrian trail there in the end.

To put an apartment complex in the middle of the North enclave in PS TIC would need to seek approval from not only the city , but also the surrounding neighborhood.

Back