California Students Flocking to Universities in Arizona

When I loved to Atlanta in 2011, the admission to Georgia Tech was 51%. I thought to myself that boys will attend Tech without any problems. I am not so sure anymore as the admission to Tech was 23% this year. We are not too far away from UCLA and Cal admission which is 16%. UGA is our in-state backup version of UCI. Tech does not discrimate by race, but in 2018, we are at the same Asian percentage as UCLA at 31%.
https://www.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/georgia-tech-freshman-profile-2018.pdf

Eyephone... everyone laughed at USC admissions back in the late 90s. One of my high school buddies with a 2.7 GPA and 1060 SAT score got into USC in 1994. No one is laughing anymore as USC is now = or > than UCLA today.

Georgia Tech's admission will be 16% or less in the next 5-7 years and it will also become an Asian majority University by then.

eyephone said:
Ha! You are comparing Georgia Tech to UCLA.

We all know USC is better than ucla

TIs own USCtrojan who went to both sports the USC name! He is embarrassed about attending UCLA :)

Georgia Tech's applicant pool will grow to exceed 50,000 by 2023 with a admission rate of 16%. By 2023, Georgia Tech will become an Asian majority University. If you are a Georgia resident and your child maintains a certain GPA and qualifies for the HOPE scholarship, you have just hit jack pot as tuition is FREE.  8)

tech.jpg

Eyephone, you can find out all the information in the link below. I think the Zell Miller scholarship covers beyond the HOPE scholarship but more difficult to qualify.
  https://www.gafutures.org/hope-state-aid-programs/hope-zell-miller-scholarships/hope-scholarship/

Award Amounts for the Zell Miller Scholarship

Award Amounts
Please review the Zell Miller Award Amounts to determine your scholarship award amount.
The Zell Miller Scholarship award varies and depends on the type of institution you are attending and your specific hours of enrollment.
Students that meet all eligibility requirements, and are attending an eligible public college or university, receive a Zell Miller Scholarship award amount to be applied toward standard undergraduate tuition, up to a maximum of 15 hours, for the specific number of hours enrolled, whether full time or part time.
Students that meet all eligibility requirements and are attending private colleges or universities, receive a Zell Miller Scholarship award amount to be applied toward standard undergraduate tuition up to a maximum of 12 hours, based on a half-time or full-time enrollment status.
Award Limits
A college degree-seeking student is ineligible for the Zell Miller Scholarship if the student has:
Received payment from any combination of HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarships, HOPE or Zell Miller Grants, and Accel Program (through spring term 2011) funds totaling 127 semester (190 quarter) hours of credit; or
Attempted 127 semester (190 quarter) hours of college degree credit, regardless of whether or not Zell Miller funds were received while attempting the hours; or
Earned a baccalaureate (four-year) degree, regardless of whether or not Zell Miller funds were received while earning the degree; or
Reached the seven year expiration of eligibility date. Details

I?m going to strongly consider Canadian colleges for my kids. I?d rather not transfer hundreds of thousands of dollars from my bank account to some private university.

HOPE is funded by the state which is why you have be a resident. I think HOPE and Zelle is one of big perks of living in Georgia. I think the future is going to be very different from the era we grew up in. I am in agreemeny with Qwerty. Personally for me, a $300,000 price tag for an Ivy league education for my children is not good ROI.

Note: This is just a hypothetical for discussion purposes only

Why am I asking if it?s funded by the state?
Because in the future if there is a downturn and they need money they might take it from this program. (either increase the requirements so less people qualify or eliminate it)

Panda said:
HOPE is funded by the state which is why you have be a resident. I think HOPE and Zelle is one of big perks of living in Georgia. I think the future is going to be very different from the era we grew up in. I agree with Qwerty. Personally for me, a $300,000 price tag for an Ivy league education for my children is not good ROI.

My childhood friend was an admission officer for USC for many years. He is no longer there. USC is highly selective and difficult to get into for freshman.

This college knows how to game the ranking system because all the college ranking data is only based on the Freshmen admission. It is ranked among the top 50 for most notable website.

It has a top notch reputation and the university leverages it to attract rich transferees from community colleges. Most transferees pay full tuition and more because the school looks at the applicants? zip code. Rich parents also pledge additional endowment to the university.

Transferees are not academically stellar. College ranking institutions don?t track transferees. The graduating class is significantly greater than the incoming freshmen class size.

Back