Newer Home vs Older Home

mgc949

I'm debating whether to buy a home in Northpark vs the Great Park. In Northpark, I get a guard gated community, 5 pools, tennis courts, lower taxes and lower HOA...and my own driveway. In the Great Park, I get a Motor Court, NEW home, and higher taxes. What would buyers prefer whenever I want to sell?

If you plan to live in this for 5+ years, you should focus on what *you* prefer... and we can't know what buyers prefer that many years down the line.

If you ask me, I would rather have the driveway and lower taxes (the guard gate is not a pro for me). But it's hard to answer this question without seeing the floorplan... assuming the price is the same.

You're going to receive different answers.  Too many unknowns, plus it boils down to a matter of preference.  I know many people that steer clear from the extra taxes and others that stay clear of older homes.  I know you're looking for guidance, but you're probably not going to get what you want here.  Good Luck.

mgc949 said:
I'm debating whether to buy a home in Northpark vs the Great Park. In Northpark, I get a guard gated community, 5 pools, tennis courts, lower taxes and lower HOA...and my own driveway. In the Great Park, I get a Motor Court, NEW home, and higher taxes. What would buyers prefer whenever I want to sell?

Based on what you wrote, looks like you have much more pros from NP. NP is a Tustin school district so that's something you might want to consider also.

I would choose NP unless the home needs too many repairs and re-upgrades for I think it's a better location and I like thier amenities too.

akkord said:
Resale GP or new GP?  New GP sucks, older GP in PP is better.  GP development got worse overtime IMO.

What about that another new park called, Novel Park, IHS3000 just announced?

akkord said:
Resale GP or new GP?  New GP sucks, older GP in PP is better.  GP development got worse overtime IMO.

I think mgc949 means new GP based on the mentioning of Motor Court homes. PP is all SFR, right?

Mety said:
akkord said:

What is Novel Park? Is it more of the same:

Flat Roof + No Rain Gutter = LOL

bones said:
Happiness said:
Mety said:
akkord said:

What is Novel Park? Is it more of the same:

Flat Roof + No Rain Gutter = LOL

So it?s not novel?

Is that for real? Is the rain gutter a upgrade option you have to add/pay?
I really hope BTB was just joking around.

Even if it was an option. If you can?t afford an extra couple hundred of dollars, maybe buying a house is not for you. ;)

eyephone said:
Even if it was an option. If you can?t afford an extra couple hundred of dollars, maybe buying a house is not for you. ;)

It's not about the extra cost that's wrong. The rain gutter is something that should be included default like the entry door or windows. Does that even pass the inspection without rain gutters? 

Mety said:
eyephone said:

It's not about the extra cost that's wrong. The rain gutter is something that should be included default like the entry door or windows. Does that even pass the inspection without rain gutters?

Rain gutters were included for Ellwood in BP.

eyephone said:
Your sounding retail right now. (Worried about small things)

Yeah, you're right. Maybe I should focus on bigger things.
I wouldn't buy there anyways unless they drop all the MR fees so who cares, right?

"Older homes" in Irvine is a relative thing. A great deal of the City of Irvine was built up from 2000 on. Not sure what the average age of homes ss for properties East of Culver and North of the 405, but my guess is that it's around 15 years or less.

Homes in established neighborhoods IMHO have a more neighborhood feel what with fuller landscaping and less "cookie cutter" home styles. Even though a new home has Mello Roos, older homes in some cases have higher maintenance costs. It would be great if someone could create a 5 year "cost of ownership/cost of repair" comparison between these two property age types.

Its a tough call between the new home and an established home's features and benefits. Good luck with the decision. 

My .02c

Mety said:
eyephone said:

Really? In a place where it hasn't rained in like a decade?

Some people actually don't like the look of rain gutters.

But I love them:

1. Easier to hang Christmas (or holiday) lights.
2. It gives inclined roof edges a more finished look.

Years ago when we bought in a new community, rain gutters were not standard so we paid a company to put them on... wasn't very expensive and I think either that year or a few years later, El Nino hit and all our neighbors were asking us who we used.

"Older homes", like those behind Walnut Village Center built in 1970's.

Look up the intersection of Walnut Ave and The Mall St on the map, then look NE toward Colony Park.  The homes along The Mall, S Mall, E Mall, Carmel Ave, etc. were built in 1970-1971.  Some were designed to give a cul-de-sac feel with 5,000-6,000 sq ft lots.  $65/month HOA.

The cul-de-sac style homes here have around 7 SFR's clustered around a U shaped driveway with trees in middle.  Homes have full size driveways with garage.  They are old but still desirable enough for some owners to do rebuilds.  Depending on location you can be 1,000-2,000 feet away from 5 FWY with (hopefully) reduced pollution.

Back