New Builds with Large Lots

akkord

I asked in another thread, but was pretty off topic, what's out there today?  Let's say 2500-3200 sf range home with large lots greater than 5000/6000 sf since I guess that would be considered large in Irvine.

Almost every new development has oddball lots that are large. There is generally a lot premium. I would work with a broker who has been to a lot of the developments and had a good pulse on which ones still have premium lots available.

I think in Irvine mindset is different for new developments among Asians. Most of the Asian/Indians etc dont consider lot size as a big factor, as long as inside of the home is nice thats all it matters. Maintaining and watering larger lots are expensive.

the.irvine said:
I think in Irvine mindset is different for new developments among Asians. Most of the Asian/Indians etc dont consider lot size as a big factor, as long as inside of the home is nice thats all it matters. Maintaining and watering larger lots are expensive.

Who lives at hidden canyon and the orchard hills toll development (both large lots)  -- aren't many Asians among those buyers too ?

Even if you don't care about being outside in your yard, there are other negatives to an excessively small yard of the type common in Irvine new builds.

If you are so close to neighbors due to tiny lots, your house will be very dark due to shading, no plants can thrive in the dark,  and also there is little privacy--you will hear everything. Your house may be detached, but its so close you might as well be attached.

I think beyond a certain price point/size house, lot size matters (to the extent that there is a minimum acceptable size. not that people may be willing to pay a very large premium for a very large lot).  People may be willing to put up with a tiny lot for a starter detached condo, but a single family house over 3000 sq ft?  Presumably that is a move up house, and people will be a lot pickier.

paperboyNC said:
Almost every new development has oddball lots that are large. There is generally a lot premium. I would work with a broker who has been to a lot of the developments and had a good pulse on which ones still have premium lots available.

And these are generally the first ones to go even with the hefty lot premiums, so the whole "lot size doesn't matter (as much)" argument is nonsense.  Most Irvine homebuyers just accept the small lots because they have no choice. 

bones said:
paperboyNC said:

And these are generally the first ones to go even with the hefty lot premiums, so the whole "lot size doesn't matter (as much)" argument is nonsense.  Most Irvine homebuyers just accept the small lots because they have no choice. 

Bingo, there are always buyers lined up for both larger and/or view premium lots.  I've seen that the premiums that buyers have paid when they new increase by 50%-100% when it comes time to sell the home.

bones said:
paperboyNC said:

Hey hey... a certain someone here loves small lots. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
paperboyNC said:

i like big lots and i cannot lie

Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
paperboyNC said:

Does the bigger lot cost more money to maintain?

Mety said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
paperboyNC said:

Depends on who you ask. They can be a huge downer and money suck. Or they can provide max ROI, privacy and entertainment space.

bones said:
Mety said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
paperboyNC said:

Depends on who you ask. They can be a huge downer and money suck. Or they can provide max ROI, privacy and entertainment space.

As long as I get a Thank You and MAX ROI, I'm good.

In all seriousness, I never have actually owned a home with a yuge yard. All I got is TIC typical patio yard with not much maintenance required. I'm curious how much it costs to take care of a nice size yard with plants and stuff. My parents say they pay about $50 a month for little gardening caring. Anyone spending more or less?

Mety said:
bones said:
Mety said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
paperboyNC said:
The bigger cost of a premium lot is probably in the up-front back yard landscaping costs (vs. the annual maintenance). 

As long as I get a Thank You and MAX ROI, I'm good.

In all seriousness, I never have actually owned a home with a yuge yard. All I got is TIC typical patio yard with not much maintenance required. I'm curious how much it costs to take care of a nice size yard with plants and stuff. My parents say they pay about $50 a month for little gardening caring. Anyone spending more or less?

Depending on how it?s landscaped, a large lot can cost the same as a small lot.

We have a largish lot by Irvine standards, we?ve had a gigantic lot and we?ve had a small lot... all cost pretty much the same to maintain.

irvinehomeowner said:
Depending on how it?s landscaped, a large lot can cost the same as a small lot.

We have a largish lot by Irvine standards, we?ve had a gigantic lot and we?ve had a small lot... all cost pretty much the same to maintain.

Yeah, it'll depend on what kind of landscaping you have done...how much hardscape vs softscape (aka grass, trees, flowers, etc).  Also, any water features like a pool, spa, and/or fountain will increase your monthly cost. 

Mety said:

Our rental with a small (slightly bigger than Irvine standard small) yard is $40 /month, larger yard is $50 /month.  And like what everyone else said, it depends on what you have back there, if its all green lush grass with this current heat, it's going to cost a hell of a lot more in water to maintain than with hardscaping and some perimeter trees/plants.  Pools, fountains, it's really personal preference.  For example, I don't want a pool, but someone like USC loves his pool. 

akkord said:
Large lot yes, but I'm more of a fan of a regular rectangular ish large lot, I don't own enough cars to fill up that driveway so its a lot of wasted of space, but also gives you more of a setback from the street. 

Jantoven said:

But did you see that backyard? You can valet all your guests in the driveway and have a huge outdoor party.

If that sells for ask, is $500k #maxroi?

@akkord: Have you checked Altair? I'm assuming their lots are in the > 5000sft range. Something like this?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/76-Cartwheel-92618/home/146201073

Back