Concrete patio and tile

Maserson

Can somebody verify this before I fire our landscaper?

He's contracted to build 2 patios. One had a concrete slab poured and tile is being installed.  They ran out of concrete during the second patio pour and are now just hand filling in the remaining concrete and placing tile as they go along. Picture included. I'm no landscape architect but I suspect this concrete will fail/shift and the tile will break/move accordingly. I raised this issue with both his workers separately from him and both said "this is how it's done."

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 291
I would think that is not proper, the slab underneath the tiles should be correct concrete mix ratios for strength and pour  and cure prior to any tiles installation on top. This will fail over time. I would tell them to do it right of fire them and withhold any payment.

A concrete slab should be poured in one pour, and the concrete should be allowed to properly cure before tiling.  Curing provides strength to the concrete.  If the weather is really dry, water should be sprayed on the concrete occasionally to keep it from drying too quickly or it will crack.  Below is a link to the Tile Council's opinion of curing time for tiling over concrete.
https://www.tcnatile.com/faqs/27-tile-over-concrete.html

For my own slab, the contractor waited 7 days after pouring before installing tile and a fiberglass membrane system was installed over the concrete to prevent any cracks in the slab from affecting the tile.  At first I thought the membrane was overkill but in hindsight it was necessary.

The council has spoken, thumbs down, to the pit of misery!
(Btw, who?s the landscaper?)

Going to talk to him later today. Would rather demo this part and start over instead of firing him.

Pavers were considered, but not a baller :(.  Thanks for input!

All depends what you like aka preference.

Do you really need a BMW? A person can just drive a Ford Fiesta or a Kia.
;)

eyephone said:

;)

BMW does free maintenance for customers. The oil changes, tire rotations, check-ups, etc while Ford or Kia will charge you and charge you again on rental cars.
BMW also does free car wash for you which will cost $20 each time plus tips so it adds up quite a bitif you were to do it yourself.
Do you really need a BMW? Ask yourself if it will give you the MAX ROI with some calculation. And not to mention the ultimate driving machine feel whenever you step on that clutch.

Mety said:
eyephone said:

;)

BMW does free maintenance for customers. The oil changes, tire rotations, check-ups, etc while Ford or Kia will charge you and charge you again on rental cars.
BMW also does free car wash for you which will cost $20 each time plus tips so it adds up quite a bitif you were to do it yourself.
Do you really need a BMW? Ask yourself if it will give you the MAX ROI with some calculation. And not to mention the ultimate driving machine feel whenever you step on that clutch.

All that is factored in the price of the car. (I assume they chargeback BMW USA)

Burn That Belly said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:

;)

Don't forget about that free fancy express/cappuccino machine/maker they have in the waiting room. That cost money too.

And tons of bottle waters at the dealers.

eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:

;)

All that is factored in the price of the car. (I assume they chargeback BMW USA)

Not if you lease... I know you don't like lease so I will stop here.  ;D
Let's get back to the topic. I think you get what you pay for unless there is a super obvious ripoff, but since most Irvine residents sell their home in 5 or 10 years, spending too much on the upgrades might not be a good idea IMO.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:

;)

Not if you lease... I know you don't like lease so I will stop here.  ;D
Let's get back to the topic. I think you get what you pay for unless there is a super obvious ripoff, but since most Irvine residents sell their home in 5 or 10 years, spending too much on the upgrades might not be a good idea IMO.

In general, dealerships are independent from subsidiary. Unless the dealership eats the cost they will chargeback to the main company. Unless let?s say CAR USA gives them an allocation money to spend, but I highly doubt it.

My point is someone pays for it.

irvinehomeowner said:
Maserson said:
Pavers were considered, but not a baller :(.

Do pavers cost more than concrete + tile? I would think they would be close in price.

I believe they cost more than concrete.

However if you have a super big backyard (some might) I would do a combo of pavers, grass/fake grass, etc..

So it all depends.

Back