I-5 freeway between Tustin and Irvine is slated for widening

By then we can ride the California State bullet train from Irvine to DTLA at $200 each way.

My .02c

eyephone said:
Completion 2030

Ha

They are only adding one lane and they expect cars traveled to increase 50% on a highway already over capacity.

What's ironic about efforts to repeal the gas tax is that significantly higher gas prices are supposed to deter driving and help reduce traffic. But again, we read on this forum about families moving here for a job in Santa Monica that decide they want to raise their family in Irvine. What rational incentives can we offer to deter such idiocy?

Govenor Brown has realized millenials are into artisan experiences so hes converting the route to covered wagons and mule teams.  The State employees union signed on once it was agreed the mule drivers would be classified as port pilots.

To seal the deal and insure success of both the project and climate initatives the legis!ature has mandated 10% of all commuter traffic must use artisan transportation system.

paperboyNC said:
eyephone said:
Completion 2030

Ha

They are only adding one lane and they expect cars traveled to increase 50% on a highway already over capacity.

What's ironic about efforts to repeal the gas tax is that significantly higher gas prices are supposed to deter driving and help reduce traffic. But again, we read on this forum about families moving here for a job in Santa Monica that decide they want to raise their family in Irvine. What rational incentives can we offer to deter such idiocy?

Why is it going to take them to 2030?

They are going to add one lane and and re-stripe the carpool lanes allowing for continuous access. The estimated cost $460 to $960 million?

eyephone said:

They are going to add one lane and and re-stripe the carpool lanes allowing for continuous access. The estimated cost $460 to $960 million?

They aren't starting until 2026. I'm guessing it will take time to widen bridges, etc.

$460 million = narrower lanes and shoulders in areas that are very difficult to widen all the way
$960 million = normal lane and shoulder width throughout the project

TIC and 5P better sell all their homes before 2026. Traffic is going to suck for many years along the 5.

Covered Wagons??? Won't everyone will die of dysentery after they ford the Santa Ana River?

I live about 28 miles north of Irvine and if I commute by car, it's like 1.5 hours each way during rush hour.

The $245 monthly train pass is enough for a car payment, but I'd rather take the train than being stuck in traffic.  Years ago you could still do 7-4 or 9-6 and dodge some traffic, not anymore.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Great Oregon Trail reference, sadly kids don?t even get this experience anymore.

I think this is still an activity in IUSD elementary schools... doing some skit or parade dressed up like Oregon Trail folks.

paperboyNC said:
eyephone said:

They aren't starting until 2026. I'm guessing it will take time to widen bridges, etc.

$460 million = narrower lanes and shoulders in areas that are very difficult to widen all the way
$960 million = normal lane and shoulder width throughout the project

They couldn?t get cal trans to help foot the bill?
It looks like OCTA is paying it all. (I briefly skimmed through the article)

We need the best negotiators and out of the box thinkers.

aquabliss said:
Kangen.Irvine said:
Great Oregon Trail reference, sadly kids don?t even get this experience anymore.

It?s making a comeback with the kids:https://www.bustedtees.com/t-shirt/dysentery
aquabliss said:
Kangen.Irvine said:

It?s making a comeback with the kids:https://www.bustedtees.com/t-shirt/dysentery

You can buy the the handheld version at Target for $25.
https://www.target.com/p/handheld-oregon-trail-game/-/A-52719211

2vhprkhtrwi01.jpg

They just widened I-5 south at Jamboree four years ago. Why would they do that if there is a bigger project coming up? I think the left shoulder should be removed to add another lane. On SR 60 between I-605 and SR 57, there is no left shoulder. It isn't really needed. The better project would be to finish the HOV lane up to the San Diego County line in San Clemente and add toll lanes through the 18 miles Camp Pendleton section. Also, I wonder what is the plan for SR 241 because it will end at Cow Camp Road after this year.

Back