Plaza Vista wait list and other options

infoseeker

We just moved to Irvine and assigned school is Plaza Vista. When we registered at the school for Kindergarten, we came to know all spots are full and our kid is 1st on the wait list  :-[.

1. Is anyone aware of how much the kindergarten wait list moves for Plaza Vista?
2. Should we prepare for any backup or leave it up to the district to assign a school?
3. Does it help if we approach the Principal and put up a case?

Thanks a lot in advance.

infoseeker said:
We just moved to Irvine and assigned school is Plaza Vista. When we registered at the school for Kindergarten, we came to know all spots are full and our kid is 1st on the wait list  :-[.

1. Is anyone aware of how much the kindergarten wait list moves for Plaza Vista?
2. Should we prepare for any backup or leave it up to the district to assign a school?
3. Does it help if we approach the Principal and put up a case?

Thanks a lot in advance.

If you are really #1, I'm pretty sure you will get in.  There is always a lot of movement in the summer.  You do realize that PV is year-round, correct?

When we moved to the PV area (mid school year), before we signed the lease, I called the school and gave the kids' names and really made sure they knew us well before we even arrived. I talked to the registrar directly (over the phone, after a few phone calls, we were on first name basis). We were moving from out of state, and I really wanted to live right by the school, so I was very nervous about the uncertainty. When we actually went to the school to register the first day after winter break, they said they did have room for two of the kids, but not the third one. I put this crazy sad face on, the registrar went to the back, disappeared for a few minutes, came back out and said it's our lucky day, they just found one spot available.
I wasn't going to have two kids in one school, and one drive who knows where, the main reason I had picked K-8 was so they were all 3 in the same school. I don't know if we just got lucky or what.
It always baffled and annoyed me how they can turn you away, even though you live across the street. They are supposed to be neighborhood schools. They should be able to estimate their enrollment numbers every year, especially since there is no new construction in the area.

Back