Amazon's Alexa will be built into all new homes from Lennar

eyephone

The nation?s largest home builder is betting voice-activated digital assistants and smart devices will become as expected in a new home as garages now are.

Lennar announced Wednesday that standard features in its new homes will include built-in Wi-Fi, smart locks, doorbells, thermostats and lights ?  all controlled by Alexa, Amazon?s voice-activated digital assistant.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...xa-built-into-all-new-homes-lennar/584004002/

If I may re-phrase and summarize the headline:

Local home builder to install listening devices throughout their new homes.

I get that some people like these tools, but the potential for abuse is so high that the Soylent home will never buy one. If I recall for example when the XBox Kinect was first sold it was an "always on, always seeing" device. YOW! This isn't "tin foil hattery" IMHO but something people should consider carefully about their personal privacy before accepting these Smart Speakers listening devices into your home.

This reminds me of Back to the Future 2.  Remember when middle aged Marty Mcfly engaged in some illicit deal with Needles?  But his boss was "monitoring that scan" and Marty's employment was immediately terminated. 

This is no longer a futuristic prediction.  It will be reality soon.
https://youtu.be/Km6bFBSVty4

Google Assistant > Alexa to me... but both scary.

So is Lennar putting the real Alexa into their homes or some knock-off spelled "Alecksa"?

#RememberTheDrywallScandal

Soylent Green Is People said:

I get that some people like these tools, but the potential for abuse is so high that the Soylent home will never buy one. If I recall for example when the XBox Kinect was first sold it was an "always on, always seeing" device. YOW! This isn't "tin foil hattery" IMHO but something people should consider carefully about their personal privacy before accepting these Smart Speakers listening devices into your home.

Amazon Echo secretly recorded a family's conversation and sent it to a random person on their contact list

The Echo device in your room could be secretly recording your conversation ? and in some cases, could send it to a random person, according to a report from local Seattle TV network KIRO7.

That's what happened to a family in Portland, who had their conversation at home recorded and sent to a random person on their contact list.

The report said the family was alerted by a colleague in Seattle who had received the audio file. After confirming the audio file was indeed a recording of their private conversation, the family went on to unplug all of their Alexa-powered devices, the report said.

When contacted by the family, Amazon said it takes privacy "very seriously," but downplayed the incident as an "extremely rare occurrence."

In a statement to CNBC, Amazon blamed Alexa misinterpreting background conversation as a set of commands to send a message to a contact:

Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like "Alexa." Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a "send message" request. At which point, Alexa said out loud "To whom?" At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customers contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, "[contact name], right?" Alexa then interpreted background conversation as "right". As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely.

Liar Loan said:

Amazon Echo secretly recorded a family's conversation and sent it to a random person on their contact list

The Echo device in your room could be secretly recording your conversation ? and in some cases, could send it to a random person, according to a report from local Seattle TV network KIRO7.

That's what happened to a family in Portland, who had their conversation at home recorded and sent to a random person on their contact list.

The report said the family was alerted by a colleague in Seattle who had received the audio file. After confirming the audio file was indeed a recording of their private conversation, the family went on to unplug all of their Alexa-powered devices, the report said.

When contacted by the family, Amazon said it takes privacy "very seriously," but downplayed the incident as an "extremely rare occurrence."

In a statement to CNBC, Amazon blamed Alexa misinterpreting background conversation as a set of commands to send a message to a contact:

Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like "Alexa." Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a "send message" request. At which point, Alexa said out loud "To whom?" At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customers contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, "[contact name], right?" Alexa then interpreted background conversation as "right". As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely.

I had both Google Home and an Echo Dot. Got rid of the Echo since it seemed buggy. It would just seem to turn on by itself and say random things for no reason. I haven't had the same problems with my Google device...yet. But this is the price you pay when you welcome invasive new technology into the home.

Liar Loan said:

the device is listening all the time to hear when you say 'alexa'

just let that sink in

Cmon guys - none of us are that important. No one cares what we say at home. Embrace the technology.

The Russians are coming

FBI issues formal warning on massive malware network linked to Russia

The FBI on Friday issued a formal warning that a sophisticated Russia-linked hacking campaign is compromising hundreds of thousands of home network devices worldwide and it is advising owners to reboot these devices in an attempt to disrupt the malicious software.

"Owners are advised to consider disabling remote management settings on devices and secure with strong passwords and encryption when enabled. Network devices should be upgraded to the latest available versions of firmware."
http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...-massive-malware-network-linked-to-russia?amp

the distribution of these home listening devices is just the first "test".  give them out for free or sell for less than cost to see if people will actually give up their privacy for "cool new tech". 

the ultimate goal is to implant a chip into the brain to monitor your thoughts that will be marketed as a superhuman accessory to do things like control your weight by manipulating your hunger, enhance your hearing and vision, and link you into wikipedia.  sounds great right?

Kings said:
the distribution of these home listening devices is just the first "test".  give them out for free or sell for less than cost to see if people will actually give up their privacy for "cool new tech". 

the ultimate goal is to implant a chip into the brain to monitor your thoughts that will be marketed as a superhuman accessory to do things like control your weight by manipulating your hunger, enhance your hearing and vision, and link you into wikipedia.  sounds great right?
The ultimate goal is to create a groupthink collective which will create more productive workers and can help create a more cohesive society.  Everyone gets in sync and has access to the same information.  Consider a new society on Mars where everyone works very productively and efficiently and there's no friction between anyone.
https://www.google.com/search?q=elon+musk+neuralink

Resistance is futile.

1d3fd2ec057b3b098700919a3238c5ea_L.jpg

Liar Loan said:
Resistance is futile.

1d3fd2ec057b3b098700919a3238c5ea_L.jpg

If you start getting into into transhumanism research, you may come to the conclusion that the Borg is one of the more likely outcomes for mankind. 

Back