BMW vs. Train

WTTCHMN said:

This was from Nextdoor:

"My husband saw the crash happen. The BMW started to cross the tracks after the arm barricades raised from the first train that passed. There was traffic backed up and the arms for the second train almost immediately went down. The BMW hit their brakes on response to the arm coming down and was rear ended by the car behind him. After he was rear ended, he couldn't get his car to start. The driver of the BMW realized he didn't have time to save his car, so he got out, ran around to the rear passenger side, pulled his daughter from the car, and the train crashed into his car".

It was in response to someone who said there were two trains (one northbound and one southbound). One went by and the gate arm raised but then went down again (but not until he had started to move forward) because the second train was coming from the other direction.

Thank God he got out in time to get his kid out of the back of the car before his car was hit.

Bravo for the parent for thinking clearly and do the smart and right thing in what would easily be a situation to get flustered until too late.

orangemo said:
The driver is at fault for not yielding to the train. Train has right of way. Just watch out and be alert!

Did you miss the part where his car wouldn't start?

orangemo said:
How does a car like suddenly not work when it is rear ended? Was it a severe rear end?

When the BMW got hit from the behind by another car,  the car got stalled.  Yes, the automatic transmission car can get stalled in the extraordinary conditions (I knoow this for certain since I have stalled auto tranny BMW several time during spin out at track.  :p )

And when the BMW was stalled, the driver need to shift the gear selector to Park or Nutral in order to restart the car.  I?m speculating that in the moment of panic, the driver failed to do so.  The gear selector most likely was still in D so the car won?t start. 

Back