Author Topic: Selfish, Hateful NIMBYs  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Burn That Belly

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 73
  • -Received: 199
  • Crank that ROI to the max
Re: Selfish, Hateful NIMBYs
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 12:53:54 PM »
x
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:47:08 PM by Burn That Belly »
Member of the 'A' Team. Team Appreciation.

Offline SoclosetoIrvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 54
  • -Received: 78
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
Living in Irvine is a privilege or a luxury. The right to masterfully-planned housing is not guaranteed at birth by the government, although if you demonstrate poverty, you are an afforded EBT card and some form of assisted housing services.

With that being said, living in Irvine is like owning a BMW. If you can afford it, by all means. If you can't, take the bus.

There are plenty of cheap housing in CA still. Victorville is one.

If you worry about your kids not being able to afford in Irvine, and you should worry, then I suggest you steer your kids in the right direction. Taxpayers should not be subsidizing for anyone’s children’s shortcomings just to live in Irvine.

Therefore I fully respect and commend ‘soclosetoirvine’s children to move out of state for affordable living.

whoa whoa whoa... where did my name come from?  :o
I don't think I posted in this forum at all recently LOL!

Offline acpme

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 18
  • -Received: 25
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 01:16:42 PM »

If you work in Victorville you can work at an Amazon Fulfillment Center. If you live in Irvine you can work in Amazon corporate. Not that there aren't good jobs in distribution, but the majority of better paying professional and business services jobs for young workers is becoming more and more concentrated in a few places. Most of those places are more expensive and more dense than Irvine.

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »
x
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:47:06 PM by Burn That Belly »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 299
  • -Received: 559
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 01:20:35 PM »
Living in Irvine is a privilege or a luxury. The right to masterfully-planned housing is not guaranteed at birth by the government, although if you demonstrate poverty, you are an afforded EBT card and some form of assisted housing services.

With that being said, living in Irvine is like owning a BMW. If you can afford it, by all means. If you can't, take the bus.

If you worry about your kids not being able to afford in Irvine, and you should worry, then I suggest you steer your kids in the right direction. Taxpayers should not be subsidizing for anyone’s children’s shortcomings just to live in Irvine.

Therefore I fully respect and commend ‘soclosetoirvine’s children to move out of state for affordable living.

whoa whoa whoa... where did my name come from?  :o
I don't think I posted in this forum at all recently LOL!

You are now a legend. He quoted you.  ;)
Jk

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 01:24:38 PM »
x
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:46:59 PM by Burn That Belly »

Offline StarmanMBA

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 41
  • -Received: 8
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 01:46:40 PM »

Okay.

1)  I am not sure why fewer homes mean that you are NIMBY.  I mean I assume then you are totally okay with homeless shelters being built in in Irvine.

YOU NIMBYs want to tell property owners, which of course you call "greedy developers," what to do with their properties.  How about we tell you to tear down your house and restore it to native habitat, and move to another town to reduce the traffic here you find so repugnant?  Moreover, the overwhelming majority of housing built is NOT for "homeless."   Stop changing the subject.  That's very poor debate form.

2)  Wanting less traffic has nothing to do with climate change.

Driving your kids all over the place, and driving to protests, and driving a very great deal WHILE preaching climate change sharia has everything to do with climate change, doesn't it.

3)  Greed is not about asking for more...it's about wanting to excess.

Fortunately YOU don't "want to excess."  Your wants are JUST RIGHT.   So are John Kerry's, Hillary Clinton's, Barack Obama's, Richard Branson's, and all the Hollywood Limousine Liberals who preach climate change before getting on their private jets.

Teachers want to gross excess, for working ~180 days, and getting very cushy retirement packages, paid for by working people the majority of whom collect the pittance from social security.  And since you characterize all developers as "greedy," presumably you will build thousands of needed houses and apartments all around Irvine, on property owned by others?  Explain how you will do this.

qwerty:  Hey StarmanMBA, go fuck yourself.
(Thank you:  Burn That Belly, id_rather_be_racing, misme, eyephone, fortune11)

Classy bunch.

"...expos'd the fool and lash'd the knave." - Jonathan Swift

Offline StarmanMBA

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »

I think this traffic situation is what a lot of NIMBY's are reacting to.

[AS THEY DRIVE THEIR KIDS TO SCHOOL, AND DRIVE BACK HOME, AND THEN DRIVE BACK TO PICK THEM UP AND TAKE THEM TO PIANO LESSONS OR ART LESSONS.]

If Irvine really does continue to evolve into a real city,

[RIGHT NOW, IT'S A FAKE CITY, RIGHT?]

For those who can't stand living here while a denser city develops around them, they should sell and move away to farther reaches of exurbs/suburbs which are still bedroom communities.

FOR NIMBYS WHO HOWL SO HYPOCRITICALLY, THEY SHOULD SELL AND MOVE AWAY TO FARTHER REACHES OF EXURBS/SUBURBS WHICH ARE STILL BEDROOM COMMUNITIES.

Classy bunch.

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »
x
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:46:55 PM by Burn That Belly »

Offline StarmanMBA

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 02:05:02 PM »

NIMBYism is rampant throughout California.  It is not just constrained to Irvine.
Didn't you even know THAT?

Moreover, taking "the bus" does not make housing any more affordable.  You make no sense, try as you might.

Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant. First, hundreds of thousands of people are already leaving THE STATE, not just Irvine.
Secondly, why do the residents of Victorville have to tolerate the kind of growth YOU whine about?   

You're not making the slightest bit of sense.  I'll explain why.

1.  I'm arguing on behalf of EVERYBODY's kids. 
2.  I DID steer my kids in the right direction.  What I'm trying to do now is steer selfish NIMBYs in the right direction.  But like *progressives* (sick) everywhere, they never want to learn.  They have their demands and by God, everybody had better respect them.
3.  Taxpayers don't "subsidize for anyone's children's shortcomings just to live in Irvine."  The Irvine Company develops land, pays for infrastructure and then the property is sold or rented to the public. 

Therefore I fully respect and commend ‘soclosetoirvine’s ‘Ready2Downsize’s children to move out of state for affordable living.

Your selfishness is profoundly greedy and one-sided.  That is my point.
You've got yours, and you say the hell with everybody else.

Classy bunch.

Offline acpme

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 18
  • -Received: 25
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »
Actually, there's a growing YIMBYism movement all across CA. In many places there are community groups welcoming development. The problem has been that land prices have risen so much its simply impossible for developers to build middle market housing. All in yields on a luxury apartment development project is LA and OC is around 5.5% assuming decent rent growth. Pretty thin return for the level of risk undertaken.

As much as we bemoan the Irvine Co, their unique situation creates unintended benefit to residents. As with many family RE businesses, Bren cares about cash flow as opposed to % returns like most investors. In other words, so long as he's making money - which he's making plenty of - he's not trying to optimize pricing. It helps a lot that his land basis is effectively zero, so for them, development isn't that risky. I would argue that cost of housing - both rental and owned - is artifically low in Irvine because of Irvine Co.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 572
  • -Received: 474
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
Actually, there's a growing YIMBYism movement all across CA. In many places there are community groups welcoming development. The problem has been that land prices have risen so much its simply impossible for developers to build middle market housing. All in yields on a luxury apartment development project is LA and OC is around 5.5% assuming decent rent growth. Pretty thin return for the level of risk undertaken.

As much as we bemoan the Irvine Co, their unique situation creates unintended benefit to residents. As with many family RE businesses, Bren cares about cash flow as opposed to % returns like most investors. In other words, so long as he's making money - which he's making plenty of - he's not trying to optimize pricing. It helps a lot that his land basis is effectively zero, so for them, development isn't that risky. I would argue that cost of housing - both rental and owned - is artifically low in Irvine because of Irvine Co.

I think Irvine Co. has been great at master planning but it has faltered in the past 5 to 6 years.  The Chinese/Asian wave caught it by surprise and a lot of other developers have cashed in.  Only recently has Irvine Co. brought in ethnic businesses.  Most of the "neighborhood centers" are still stuck in the 1990s as far as tenants go.

It remains to be seen if they can adapt to the changing demographics.

Offline StarmanMBA

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
Actually, there's a growing YIMBYism movement all across CA. In many places there are community groups welcoming development.

Name five.

In other words, so long as he's making money - which he's making plenty of - he's not trying to optimize pricing.

Right, so you're saying Donald Bren COULD sell land for $75 per square foot, but since "he's not trying to optimize pricing, " he is selling it for $50 per square foot.

Does this make sense to anyone else?  NOBODY gives away free stuff in that manner.

Have you any idea of what Bren's cash flow is?  I do.

Classy bunch.

Offline Burn That Belly

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
x
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:46:51 PM by Burn That Belly »

Online paydawg

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 38
  • -Received: 87
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 04:17:10 PM »
BTB - I see your signature below, but where's CV, WBE, SGE and Foothill Ranch?

LF = Buick | PS = Hyundai | GP = Volkswagen | CVE = Kia | EW = BMW | OHR = AMG | OHG = Tesla | LA = Porsche | ALTR = Aston Martin | WB/SG = Infiniti/Lexus | TR = Land Rover | T = Cadillac  | HC = Maserati | NPC = Lambo
Thanks in advance for the 'thanks'!!

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: KB Home Genoa at OH by thecolt
[Today at 09:54:59 AM]

Re: Toll Brothers Customer Service by NYT
[Today at 09:23:15 AM]

Re: Snowflakes by morekaos