Landscaping Problems

FranchisePlr

Quick question...if I paid out a contractor/landscaper for a portion of the job and he doesnt quite finish and bounces.  What options should I have?  Since it was a smaller postage stamp backyard, I knew he was working on way bigger backyards  but he has gone dark.

Any suggestions?  I paid for $13k worth of work and to the eye he probably did $9-$10k but ghosted and won't return texts or calls.

He is licensed, etc...

Thanks for the help guys.

For the new home buyers, go with a licensed contractor and has a good reputation.

For the OP, I would try to work it out. I would call, email, and might show up to his job site. (if I knew the location)

Parasol Park.  I have a contract.  Since he isnt responding, I should be good to go with someone else right?  He couldnt come back, months later saying I should have finished and I owe him money.

I've sent countless texts to him and calls which go unanswered.  HDZ Landscape is the company which some friends have used him in Stonegate..

FranchisePlr said:
Parasol Park.  I have a contract.  Since he isnt responding, I should be good to go with someone else right?  He couldnt come back, months later saying I should have finished and I owe him money.

I've sent countless texts to him and calls which go unanswered.  HDZ Landscape is the company which some friends have used him in Stonegate..

www.hdzlandscaping.com 

Is this the contractor you're working with?  No mention of a contractors license number on their website and cannot find company name on contractor's license board website.  Looks like they may be unlicensed.

You may want to send to their address a certified letter stating that if they don't contact you within a certain period of time, you will find another contractor to finish the work and threaten to take them to small claims court.  If that does not prompt a response then the owner of the business has been down this road before and probably knows what he can get away with.

I stand corrected.  Since your contractor is licensed, I would file a complaint with the California Contractors State License Board.  Request mandatory arbitration.  This will force the contractor to resolve this matter with you and the arbitrator is paid for by the Contractors License Board.  Dollar limit for arbitration is $15K which you fall under.

Your contractor has a $15K surety bond with Western Surety Company.  In the event that the arbitrator finds in your favor and the contractor files BK or otherwise doesn't pay, you can seek payment from the bonding company.

He is taking you for a chump. Show up at his job site, take a bat with you and break his windshield and tell him he needs to pay you what it will cost to finish the job. If he tells you he is going to call the cops break another window. Tell him he messed with the wrong guy. This will pretty much solve it. People don?t want to mess with crazy.

Back