Irvine to install new traffic signals to cut down left-turn wait times

1.73 million seems like a lot. Money would be better spent adding a few key lanes, highway access loops and significantly improving light timing.

Whoa this is crazy, no one in CA knows what these flashing yellow arrows are, especially FCB?s.  I predict 2 head on crashes in the first week.

Don?t do it city council!

irvinehomeowner said:
They already have these in some OC cities. Saw them in Fullerton.

Yeah, they exist in Fullerton and I think they are confusing.  All the cities in OC should conform to the same standard since this is one big metro area.

I love Mr BBQ in Fullerton.  All you can eat Korean BBQ in a clean environment. Excellent customer service and decent meat quality, makes this place hard to beat.

Some people are afraid of changes, but I truly agree having the flashing yellow light (option to left turn) is better than unable to turn at all.  Ask you your self this, how many times have you wished you can make a U-Turn (seeing absolutely no car) but cannot due to "No U-Turn " sign?  What if instead the sign says "U-Turn Yield to In coming traffic" instead?

Adding flashing yellow light for left turn is a step forward in improving traffic flow for sure, although that price seems really high for seemingly only very few units being updated.

jciron said:
I love Mr BBQ in Fullerton.  All you can eat Korean BBQ in a clean environment. Excellent customer service and decent meat quality, makes this place hard to beat.

For the $25, I actually think I Can BBQ in Oak Creek is better... and in Irvine. :)

Shik is still the best value at $18.99 but then so is Korea House (which has been slightly remodeled). Only problem with Korea House... slow service... although they have the doorbell things so you can call them.

irvinehomeowner said:
jciron said:

For the $25, I actually think I Can BBQ in Oak Creek is better... and in Irvine. :)

Shik is still the best value at $18.99 but then so is Korea House (which has been slightly remodeled). Only problem with Korea House... slow service... although they have the doorbell things so you can call them.

What thread did I just click on??

paydawg said:
irvinehomeowner said:
jciron said:

What thread did I just click on??

Korean BBQ?

aquabliss said:
Whoa this is crazy, no one in CA knows what these flashing yellow arrows are, especially FCB?s.  I predict 2 head on crashes in the first week.

Don?t do it city council!

People should take some personal responsibility and learn to drive.

paperboyNC said:
1.73 million seems like a lot. Money would be better spent adding a few key lanes, highway access loops and significantly improving light timing.
I got a feeling that adding key lanes, or highway access loops are far more expensive than 1.73 million.  Might be reasonable for Light Timing Improvement, but I'm in neither industry so I can't say for certain.

Lanes have a maximum throughput limited by the following distance expressed in seconds.  On free flowing highways, that's approximately 2000 cars.  At 60 mph and a 2 second follow space average it's 20 cars/lane per minute.  Each missed traffic signal cuts that in half.  It's way Jamboree between 405 and Dyer sucks.  You literally pull across the intersection to stop at the line waiting for the next light.

So really, just look at the traffic and the environment and ask if the real issue is just too many cars want to use the same hunk of road in a given 30 minute period.

The solution is simple:  more lanes, less lights and blocking cross traffic or less cars.

HMart said:
Expanding a road from 8 lanes to 10 lanes would grow our local economy but probably not solve congestion. When cars move faster, then demand will just fill up to restore the status quo.https://www.cato.org/blog/debunking-induced-demand-myth

An actual systemic solution would be repealing the gas tax and replacing it with a Fastrak-esque VMT.https://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/ending-congestion-refinancing-highways

Singapore has tolls and all sorts of payment schemes and still has massive traffic in the city center. 

rkp said:
HMart said:
Expanding a road from 8 lanes to 10 lanes would grow our local economy but probably not solve congestion. When cars move faster, then demand will just fill up to restore the status quo.https://www.cato.org/blog/debunking-induced-demand-myth

An actual systemic solution would be repealing the gas tax and replacing it with a Fastrak-esque VMT.https://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/ending-congestion-refinancing-highways

Singapore has tolls and all sorts of payment schemes and still has massive traffic in the city center.

Singapore has less traffic than would be expected for its density, and has credible alternatives.

Back