Mass Transit

I would like something that goes to the metro stations, business centers, and  SNA. 

They have the shuttle thing but it's really impractical.

I agree with Irvinecommuter, but would include service to the Spectrum and Marketplace. It?s worth considering the universities and also lines to the city limits with large parking lots. That way those who commute into Irvine might park at the city?s limits and ride the light rail in. UCI could overcharge on parking permits via a city tax to encourage students to not drive.

nosuchreality said:
LOL, no mention of the backbone of mass transit, buses.

Exactly.  There already is a mass transit system that nobody uses.  Why build another one?

I take the train to work but there are only 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

Compared to LA light rail (Green line, Gold line, etc.) that comes every 15 mins from 4AM-Midnight, it's really inconvenient.  The light rail cost less too ($100 for monthly passes).

OC Streetcar will start operations around 2021 (ETA), but that's for Santa Ana:http://www.octa.net/Projects-and-Programs/All-Projects/Rail-Projects/OC-Streetcar/

For RE investors, you might want to consider investing near planned stations.

Light rail is tough without walkability because one needs to be able to get from the rail station to their final destination or from the origin.

Walkability is tough with our current block sizes, density, and street patterns in Irvine. Driving is just way too convenient here, and parking is usually free and plentiful everywhere. I think we are stuck with car dependency here unless driving gets more expensive (tolls, congestion charges, parking fees) or inconvenient. And you can't run a fixed mass transit system during commute hours only unless you want to bleed a crapton of money. Streetcar would have very little effect beyond aesthetics.

A relatively cheap and impactful mass transit would be some kind of dedicated lane BRT along a major arterial (e.g. Jamboree) and reduced parking minimums/increased density along the entire route. Unfortunately, most people would be up in arms about this because it would inconvenience them (and me) and we're all mostly hooked on the convenience of car commuting (including myself).

Biking is a pretty good alternative right now too. PS when will Irvine finally finish the Peters Canyon missing link between Walnut & Warner? All this to build a bridge for Moffett Dr? Literally years

Liar Loan said:
nosuchreality said:

Exactly.  There already is a mass transit system that nobody uses.  Why build another one?

No one uses it, because they come so infrequently, that its not actually usable.

I don't think a mass transit system will work on for commute times but I think with the development of the Great Park...you can make it work.  Link up UCI, Great Park, the Metro Stations, SNA, Spectrum, and the Business sections....Tustin would probably want something for the District.

You can run it like 5 a.m. to 12 a.m. on weekdays and like 7 a.m. to 2 a.m on weekends. 

I would prefer something underground but that is super expensive.

W
misme said:
Liar Loan said:
nosuchreality said:

No one uses it, because they come so infrequently, that its not actually usable.

World wide effective mass transit studies show that utilization drops off a cliff when destination distance to a transit stop exceeds 500 meters.  LA metro light rail actually runs every 6 mins heavy lines like Blue.

As for metro rail, yea basically a non starter as its designed for commute only. You literally cannlt makea connection to get to the valey or burbank.  amtrak to SD? 2 hours each way and just under $60 per person.  Technicaly cheaper than driving but only for a solo driver and thats assuming longterm costs at Federal reimbursement rate.

Apologies for typos Amazon device sucks for editing

nosuchreality said:
W
misme said:
Liar Loan said:
nosuchreality said:

World wide effective mass transit studies show that utilization drops off a cliff when destination distance to a transit stop exceeds 500 meters.  LA metro light rail actually runs every 6 mins heavy lines like Blue.

As for metro rail, yea basically a non starter as its designed for commute only. You literally cannlt makea connection to get to the valey or burbank.  amtrak to SD? 2 hours each way and just under $60 per person.  Technicaly cheaper than driving but only for a solo driver and thats assuming longterm costs at Federal reimbursement rate.

Apologies for typos Amazon device sucks for editing

Dude, there are bus stops everywhere throughout Orange County, yet very few use it.  Only those that have no other choice use mass transit in OC.  (The poor, disabled, can't legally drive, etc.)

There was one point in time when I lived near a major street in HB that also passed by my place of employment about 40 minutes away during rush hour traffic.  One day, I was compelled to take the bus because my car was out of commission and I thought it would be a good experiment to see if mass transit was viable for me.

Well, the bus ride took almost twice as long because of the frequent stops.  It was informative to see who relies on the bus for their transportation, but there was no way I was going to add another 1-1.5 hours to my daily commute time just for the privilege of riding mass transit.

Irvine has the ridiculous iShuttle, which runs empty, from the airport  to the rail terminal in Tustin.  It collects roughly 1/2 cent for every dollar of operating cost. 
Taxpayers suck up the difference. 

"Light" (sic) rail is worse by orders of magnitude.  "Light" (sick) rail costs $100 to $300 million per mile to build.  Factor that in your "cheap" comments.

Buses can do the same thing and change their routes in a day.  But here's the crazy part:  OCTA is cutting routes and service for lack of passengers.

Why don't all you progressive preachers take the bus and stop driving.

StarmanMBA said:
Irvine has the ridiculous iShuttle, which runs empty, from the airport  to the rail terminal in Tustin.  It collects roughly 1/2 cent for every dollar of operating cost. 

"Light" (sic) rail is worse by orders of magnitude.  "Light" (sick) rail costs $100 to $300 million per mile to build.  Factor that in your "cheap" comments.

Buses can do the same thing and change their routes in a day.  But here's the crazy part:  OCTA is cutting routes and service for lack of passengers.

Maybe they need better leadership at the OCTA. Sorry I?m too busy to help plan. ;)

eyephone said:
StarmanMBA said:

Maybe they need better leadership at the OCTA. Sorry I?m too busy to help plan. ;)

Bus riders and poor people have no political clout so they always get squeezed out by the funding.  No one complains about the toll roads being a huge money loser.

StarmanMBA said:

The other thread you complain about the traffic. Now your complaining about mass transit to help out the traffic.
Is there something I am missing?

eyephone said:
StarmanMBA said:

The other thread you complain about the traffic. Now your complaining about mass transit to help out the traffic.

I mean if the liberals just move out of Irvine...everything will be fixed!

Irvinecommuter said:
Bus riders and poor people have no political clout so they always get squeezed out by the funding. 

"No political clout."  Yeah, right.  California gives full ride scholarships to illegal aliens.
California is now paying legal bills to defend illegal aliens in court.  California is advising illegals on how to apply for political asylum. California is spending MILLIONS for housing for bums on the street, many of who don't want to work, or who are alcoholic or drug addicts.  When buses have one or two people on them, maybe you think they should continue driving around.  Why don't you take  them in your car, Mister Kind Heart?

eyephone said:
StarmanMBA said:

Uh... the wasted money? How are missing that?

Simply put

Money spent on things I like = " Investment "

Money spent on things (or people) I don't like = " Wasteful spending "

you can boil down pretty much 95% of the right wing arguments to this simple thesis

Back