Asian Americans think elite college degree shelters from discrimination-it won't

The problem with the LA Times is that the posters on TalkIrvine in the President Trump thread show better methodology, less dogma and bias.

nosuchreality said:
The problem with the LA Times is that the posters on TalkIrvine in the President Trump thread show better methodology, less dogma and bias.

It's no secret that LA Times has a bias and pushes an agenda.

Very convenient of them to cite a 2003 survey to backup their claim, "Asian Americans also fall behind in earnings. College-educated, U.S.-born Asian men earn 8% less than white men."

How about using something a little more recent...maybe from 2016?

As with workers overall, college-educated Asian men out-earn college-educated white men by about $3 per hour of work.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/07/01/racial-gender-wage-gaps-persist-in-u-s-despite-some-progress/

And I'm not sure what this study is supposed to prove.  Being CEO is not the only measure of success.

According to a 2015 investigation by Business Insider, only one CEO of a top 10 Fortune 500 company had gotten their undergraduate degree from an Ivy League university. Only 30% of American-born CEOS of the top 100 companies attended an elite college.

If they're measuring success in terms of salary, it's pretty well documented that attending an Ivy will garner far higher wages. In general, higher wages typically means more responsibility and higher position within a company.

Here's a fun new data point from the Department of Education to put your life's drudgery into perspective: 10 years after starting college, the typical Ivy League grad earns more than twice as much as the typical graduate of other colleges. In fact, the median Ivy graduate -- say, your solid B- Harvard student -- is making more money than the top 10 percent of graduates at other schools.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eague-schools/?utm_term=.58d97d387ef1[/quote]

Not only that, attending an Ivy League school will offer far more opportunities in the form of alumni network and job opportunities.

Kings said:
According to a 2015 investigation by Business Insider, only one CEO of a top 10 Fortune 500 company had gotten their undergraduate degree from an Ivy League university. Only 30% of American-born CEOS of the top 100 companies attended an elite college.

If they're measuring success in terms of salary, it's pretty well documented that attending an Ivy will garner far higher wages. In general, higher wages typically means more responsibility and higher position within a company.

Statistics quotes in the article are so meaningless. For example:

There are approximately 2 million ivy league alumni living in the US out of 250 million adults (just under 1%)
If 30% of CEOs are alumni of the ivy league, that means they have about a 40 times greater chance to become a major CEO that the average american.

"Only 30%" is such an odd way to phrase it. "40 times more likely" is the truth.

Well, uh... I am Asian American.  I have an MBA from a top 25 institution.  I've been given the pass for traffic violations by cops three consecutive times.  The last one was from a white cop who said, "not giving you a ticket this time because you went to USC so I think you're smarter than that."  Yes, I have a USC alumni vanity plate and I'm not even joking about it.  I think that USC vanity plate has gotten me out of a lot of tickets, actually.

Education opens doors.  My parents knew that the very second they stepped onto American soil.  It's obvious and you're a stupid idiot if you don't realize it.
The LAT article is stupid and it's gone to the left ideological deep end.  If the LAT is lying around in some lobby I may only read the sports and business sections.  The rest of it is only suitable to wrap fish in.

In my opinion, education does open doors, but a person has to perform.

SoCal21st said:
Well, uh... I am Asian America.  I have an MBA from a top 25 institution.  I've been given the pass for traffic violations by cops three consecutive times.  The last one was from a white cop who said, "not giving you a ticket this time because you went to USC and I think you're smarter then that."  Yes, I have a USC alumni vanity plate and I'm not even joking about it.

Education opens doors.  My parents knew that the very second they stepped onto American soil.  It's obvious and you're a stupid idiot if you don't realize it.
The LAT article is stupid and it's gone to the left ideological deep end.

Cmon you guys are smart. This was posted in the LA Times OPINION section.

Also I don't think anyone here would disagree with the concluding paragraph:
As the corporate world works to address issues of bias, Asian Americans should consider that what people do in college and afterward is a stronger predictor of success than the status of the college they choose to attend. At the very least, this should help quell the anxiety of high school seniors awaiting admissions decisions from their first-choice schools.

If you're on TI, you probably know Asian parents who are hyperventilating over their kids' college anxiety and transmitting that to their kids. (All of us here are perfectly well-adjusted of course, haha)

So not getting a ticket supports your argument?

SoCal21st said:
Well, uh... I am Asian American.  I have an MBA from a top 25 institution.  I've been given the pass for traffic violations by cops three consecutive times.  The last one was from a white cop who said, "not giving you a ticket this time because you went to USC so I think you're smarter than that."  Yes, I have a USC alumni vanity plate and I'm not even joking about it.  I think that USC vanity plate has gotten me out of a lot of tickets, actually.

The LAT article is stupid and it's gone to the left ideological deep end.  If the LAT is lying around in some lobby I may only read the sports and business sections.  The rest of it is only suitable to wrap fish in.

Uh, if he's going to let me off on a traffic violation and cite the fact that I went to USC as the reason he is doing so, then yeah.

I mean, there are various things you have in your social arsenal that help you out in life.  Education is one.  Looks is another.  If you don't have one, you better have the other and if you don't have both, then life is a little tougher for you, no?

SoCal21st said:
In my opinion, education does open doors, but a person has to perform.

Fully agree.  Just because I didn't mention that specifically doesn't mean I don't concur.

Well maybe you should of said it. Because that is key to succeed. It really is.

SoCal21st said:

Uh, if he's going to let me off on a traffic violation and cite the fact that I went to USC as the reason he is doing so, then yeah.

I mean, there are various things you have in your social arsenal that help you out in life.  Education is one.  Looks is another.  If you don't have one, you better have the other and if you don't have both, then life is a little tougher for you, no?

I don?t decriminate how a person looks. If a person is pretty or fat it doesn?t really matter as long as they get the job done. (I have to refer back to the old saying, don?t judge a book by it?s cover)

You have to be open minded, and you will be surprised what people know.

eyephone said:
SoCal21st said:

I don?t decriminate how a person looks. If their pretty or fat it doesn?t really matter as long as they get the job done.

you know what --  I actually call b/s on this whole business of traffic cop letting Socal21 go scott free  multiple times because of being a USC alum.  USCTrojan -- have you ever experienced this after gunning your Porsche and getting caught ?

Years ago I talked to an old vet who said his Yale class ring saved his life.

He was captured by the Japanese on some Pacific island. The Japanese people on the island were bored so they decided to decapitate a few Americans for fun. Before their heads were cut off, the Japanese stripped the Americans of jewelry. The Japanese officer in charge came back to the Americans holding up a Yale class ring and asked "who does this belong to?" The vet I spoke to raised his hand. The Japanese officer gave him the ring back and spared his head saying "I'm a Yale alum myself."

you know what --  I actually call b/s on this whole business of traffic cop letting Socal21 go scott free  multiple times because of being a USC alum.  USCTrojan -- have you ever experienced this after gunning your Porsche and getting caught ?

I can only definitely say that it happened once because the cop specifically told me he would let me off because "USC people are smart."

I can't vouch for the other times I was let off, but I suspect it was because I went to a school that those cops liked... but I can't say for sure.  It certainly wasn't because I was a hot blonde chick!

fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
SoCal21st said:

I don?t decriminate how a person looks. If their pretty or fat it doesn?t really matter as long as they get the job done.

I believe it. My NRA Life Member window decal has got me off plenty of times in several states, once with a wink and a thumbs up from the cop.

Back