Facebook privacy

eyephone

?Cambridge Analytica: all the news about Facebook?s data privacy scandal
The London-based analytics firm has only further complicated Facebook?s role in the 2016 US election by misusing the data of as many as 50 million users.?

Source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/19/17141266/facebook-cambridge-analytica-user-data-donald-trump-campaign-2016-election

Will you keep your FB account?

When Obama's campaign used the same techniques in 2008/2012 it was hailed as a sophisticated data strategy.  (As opposed to that dolt Romney who couldn't do anything correctly.)  Now that Cambridge Analytica used Obama's techniques to help elect Trump it's a national emergency.

Puh leeez.....

All this pearl clutching over FB's info sharing?? If you think data vacuums like FB/AMZ/Google, et al have any notion of privacy protections or marketing block outs, I've got a really nice bridge for sale in New York to show you.

Happily off FB since 2014. Do yourself a favor and follow my lead.

My .02c

SGIP

Why I do not and never will have a presence on Facebook, Instagram, snap chat, Linkedin,  ect, ect, ect...I am a ghost except on TI.

To me social media is simply a tool to promote yourself.  LinkedIn has been useful for finding job candidates as well as being contacted by recruiters. 

Facebook on the other hand, had a certain novelty to it when everybody was joining about 10 years ago.  It was cool to see what the people from high school were up to, but now it's mostly overrun with a small, but devoted group of political posters (many suffering from TDS, but not all).  Sometimes, I try to engage but I've realized most of them don't want a conversation.  It's simply them posting whatever they think will get likes from other like-minded people.

FB is really only useful for finding out about weddings/births/deaths now, but really I could find out about that stuff through the grapevine anyway.  I haven't logged on for 3 months now, and I'm debating whether to just kill my account or keep it active, but cull anybody that I haven't seen face-to-face in person within the past 10-20 years from my "friends" list to cut back on the flow of garbage that I subject myself to.

(That would include removing all the people from OC Reader that I haven't met in person.  One of them, OC Maestra or Tmare on IHB, has become incredibly political and posts non-stop Marxist level divisive stuff now.  Wading into those conversations has resulted in a mob of crazed radicals wishing me the worst.)

I actually conjured a guy on Facebook (Randall Stevens) out of thin air.  I use it to friend my family and a very narrow group of friends. It keep me in the loop and up to date on the tech.  However, my Fakebook (as my wife likes to call it) is devoid of ME, a figment of my imagination.  The guy works in the oil fields in Oklahoma and attended some obscure college in Appalachia.
https://youtu.be/m9zHqHjRbf4

Privacy means not putting too much private info on social media sites.  If you voluntarily uploaded the info then it's on you.  For example, if you're going to be away on vacation for few weeks, common sense would tell you not to announce it on social media or public forum that nobody will be home.  Today prospective employers also look at your social media information so it's always a good idea to keep it scrubbed.

I kept my FB account to keep in touch with friends and relatives, though most of my relatives in TW has left FB/messenger for Line.  My FB account has been scrubbed and you'd find mostly Korean drama posts or MV's with Joy from Red Velvet.  Not only does FB, 3rd party companies, prospective employers, and government/law enforcement eyeing your social media content, in future political opponents will be harvesting the data to discriminate against you as well.

Should you find yourself ill and hospitalized, would the staff check your data against an online database for your political affiliation then decide the level of care provided to you?  Unthinkable today, but possible in the future with widening political divide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqidRAAzZII
https://www.dramafever.com/drama/5004/Lovely_Love_Lie_(The_Liar_and_His_Lover)/

What about Bezos and Amazon?

He owns the Washington Post so what you view/post is public/Bezos knowledge.

Anyone with an amazon acct that even clicks on products has a trail of what they are at least looking at, if not buying and then there is the wishlist, registries and items paid for but shipped to other people.

Steaming media and ebooks allows the big river access to what you watch and read.

Now Bezos wants to be your health insurance provider and bank.

You can add cash to your account and not even use a credit card, and u can check out of some of their amazon food stores without even hitting the register, so handy you say.

I rarely actually buy anything on amazon but I do read reviews of products and use them for price matches. And I get a whole lot of emails from them regarding those products I clicked on.

Someday someone is going to come up with a better system of payment which we can probably use without ever going to a checkstand. Just have it tattooed on my hand and I wouldn't be surprised to see it comes from Bezos with all the power and knowledge of everyone he's accumulating.

Don't buy from Amazon.  Many local merchants will price match.  Buy direct if possible.

Micro Center in Tustin will price match Amazon depending on the seller -- if it's Amazon then they should price match, but if it's "Bob" from Florida then they might not.

momopi said:
Don't buy from Amazon.  Many local merchants will price match.  Buy direct if possible.

Micro Center in Tustin will price match Amazon depending on the seller -- if it's Amazon then they should price match, but if it's "Bob" from Florida then they might not.

That isn't the point. The point is Bezos is managing to accumulate a lot of data about all of us and we're worried about facebook. Shouldn't we think about what Bezos is managing to do?

Like I said I rarely buy anything on amazon but I use them for pricematches. I use Walmart too (which a lot of times has the same price or better than amazon) among other sites but amazon is the only one that bombards me with emails on everything I have clicked on their site so I know they are accumulating data on me.

I have to keep my account. It's got $1000 amazon money in it which I didn't buy. My hubby got it as a bonus so there it sits.

Ready2Downsize said:
momopi said:

That isn't the point. The point is Bezos is managing to accumulate a lot of data about all of us and we're worried about facebook. Shouldn't we think about what Bezos is managing to do?

Like I said I rarely buy anything on amazon but I use them for pricematches. I use Walmart too (which a lot of times has the same price or better than amazon) among other sites but amazon is the only one that bombards me with emails on everything I have clicked on their site so I know they are accumulating data on me.

I have to keep my account. It's got $1000 amazon money in it which I didn't buy. My hubby got it as a bonus so there it sits.

Certain types of data, such as consumer banking, credit, and medical are highly regulated.  I work in the industry and have FCRA cert.  Used to work for Experian.  The potential for "big data" abuse is there but we have consumer advocacy groups and watchdogs too.

If you don't want amazon to track you, don't login to Amazon, scrub your browser (CC Clean) and use VPN as needed (Opera has built in VPN).  You can still go on their web site and read reviews.

?An explosive memo detailing Facebook's cutthroat growth mentality was leaked to BuzzFeed and published on Thursday night.

Facebook is reeling after BuzzFeed on Thursday published an explosive memo from the senior Facebook leader Andrew Bosworth.

Bosworth, a vice president at Facebook who's known as Boz, wrote in June 2016 that Facebook's "questionable contact importing practices" and other so-called growth-hacking tactics were justified by the company's mission, even if the platform was used to bully or even to coordinate terrorist attacks.

The breathtaking memo seems to reveal a "growth at all costs" mentality at Facebook that has led to several other scandals in which the company is now embroiled, such as the uproar over the British data firm Cambridge Analytica's harvesting of data from 50 million Facebook users using the platform's built-in tools.?

Source:https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...ut-leakers-suspect-spies-bosworth-memo-2018-3

the-more-of-your-data-i-gather-the-more-i-21522864.png

Back